• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Vic Mignogna No Longer a Member of RWBY Cast

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:14 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Oooh, can we get a better voice actor for Rohan in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure?

Depends on if Viz wants to spend the money to redub DiU. From the sounds of things, the dub for it may be already complete.
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:24 pm Reply with quote
This is progress. I hope we hear from Funimation next.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Con Disapperances make sense since usually people vanish from public eye when they have claims like these made against them and it'd kind of be a bad look to have protesters and etc storming your panel/autograph session.

Don't understand why they are pulling roles considering there's been no court filings or anything. It also doesnt appear to be that there any calls to boycott the games, movies, anime, he is in, so there doesnt appear to be any way that the companies will take a hit from continuing to have him in roles.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
Don't understand why they are pulling roles considering there's been no court filings or anything. It also doesnt appear to be that there any calls to boycott the games, movies, anime, he is in, so there doesnt appear to be any way that the companies will take a hit from continuing to have him in roles.

I think someone mentioned in the other Mignogna thread that RoosterTeeth has been pretty active in addressing perceived sexual assault allegations and/or attacks on LGBTQ persons before (not to confuse those two distinct issues, but I can't remember which was mentioned)? My attempts to avoid looking through that 21-page thread by google-surfing it are, so far, not working, heh.

I'm more surprised that the allegations seem to stop at "Regularly made fans uncomfortable" (though underage fans, which presumably/understandably magnifies the lens), again with the exception of Jessie Pridemore's allegation. From the outside looking in, that seems rather limited as far as motivating anything more severe against him than just telling him to be a lot more restrained around people at 'cons.

Last edited by NeverConvex on Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kakegurui

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I have heard stories (from real anime fans who are girls) about Vic Mignogna being a creep and pervert for more than 10 years and I'm glad it's finally catching up to him. Some of the victims are "underage".

After this, I don't see a reason why Funimation will still continue to hire him. Vic is a disgusting pervert and I believe the numerous victims and the poor girls who had to experience that. He should be ashamed. Funimation needs to dump him now. I believe more girls are coming out about their experiences because Vic has been doing this for over a decade.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:37 pm Reply with quote
His career is ruined now. You reap what you sow.
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
Con Disapperances make sense since usually people vanish from public eye when they have claims like these made against them and it'd kind of be a bad look to have protesters and etc storming your panel/autograph session.

There is a big gap between a person believing these accusations are more likely true than not and Vic being indicted, tried and convicted. He doesn’t need to have a criminal record for these conventions, for Rooster Teeth and other would-be employers to feel uncomfortable associating themselves with him. Funimation doesn’t have to make a decision tomorrow, but they will have to make a decision. Now that people know all this, I imagine a number of people will be uncomfortable working with him or being seen as condoning what he is alleged to have done.
Larryg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Losing jobs based on allegations.

Due process is dead.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:45 pm Reply with quote
TarsianStryfe wrote:
We have come to a time whete simple the mere allegation is enough to end someone's livelihood, & career. [etc.]

As a reminder: this comes in the wake of
numerous detailed stories, many with photos, videos, or other evidence, from both victims of his harassment and con staff (occasionally, those overlap). This isn't all based on a single Twitter post (though a couple of other people have been implicated in similar things in that way, now that the whole Vic situation that many of us already knew about in some capacity is being publicized).

More to the point, though, he's not going to prison over this public outcry, or for any other reason. If you have a celebrity-like career, an essential part of maintaining that is not being, or appearing to be, an asshole. Even if we say, for the sake of argument, that this was all an absurdly huge misunderstanding... then he clearly doesn't understand social norms well enough to be a good celebrity, and losing his famous-voice-actor status over it seems reasonable. (Although, speaking as a person who has a hard time figuring out social rules, I don't believe for a second that that's all that was going on with him.)

It's normal to want to defend someone you care about, who appeared to be trustworthy, as far as you could tell. But I'd suggest that you take your own advice on this one:
TarsianStryfe wrote:
I have in my experience been privy to the very disturbing fact of what a person, regardless their age, gender, etc. are capable of, given the opportunity, & motive to carry out their agenda.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Animelvr2 wrote:
This is so stupid. Vic was just having fun by the looks of it (but getting on his back was a litttle much.)

Speaking for myself, I'd have no issue with someone I know doing that to me as a joke. But, that is not the case here. Even if Vic was a "Ken doll", he still crosses someone's personal boundary...someone he doesn't even know. That is 1 part of the larger issue people are calling out.

MHAFMAB wrote:
I understand what your saying but at what point does your job become more important than your dignity or your own comfort.

That's the thing, in a lot of instances when people are seen as "abusing their power", the victim doesn't view what they are doing as "just a job". They want to make a career out of something. Entertainment fields are where many stories of "abuse of power" come out of due to the nature of them. Very hard to get in to, and those on top do hold influence. And in this case, a field that is as niche as anime VA, being on the wrong side of someone that is a "name" could end up leading to your hopes for a career to be destroyed. I'm not saying that Vic would have this kind of sway, but this example just falls into the stereotype that I'm speaking of.

Then there are times where people rely on the income in order to be able to keep a roof over their head and food on the table. Not everyone is the financial flexibility or support from others where they can afford to just leave money on the table when they find themselves in a bad situation with another party. Sometimes, it takes time to be comfortable in your position to then speak out.

Not everyone can afford to do something that could lead to financial loss. I'm not saying that is the case here, but they are examples where people would put work ahead of dignity/comfort, as many have done so for these reasons in the past. And, in all likelihood, will continue to do so.

I'm glad that, seemingly, you've never been in a position where you had to put up with something that you weren't comfortable with in order to remain in a job. I certainly have never been in that type of spot, and I can only imagine what it would be like...
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I stay away from dub as much as possible, but ofc, have seen some of them with Vic on it. I am not a fan of this old chap btw. The only dub actor I know is JYB and I give no damn about the others.

Well, nothing to say as it's already been said by a lot of commenters. I just hope he can change now, repent sincerely and apologize to as many people as he can. It's never too late to change, but ofc, his career may took a nosedive and he must brace for it. The important thing is to acknowledge the mistake and face the consequence head-on.
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Larryg wrote:

Due process is dead.

due process has never been part of getting or keeping an acting gig
uncutpokemon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Ok can we stop trying to get Vic fired from stuff? I actually like him as Broly, and I don't wanna have him replaced the next time Broly appears in the series (which you know he will), I also don't wanna have to have someone else play the parts he's been in just because of some claims with limited evidence. Innocent until proven guilty. Also to whoever posted the video of him visiting the girl in the hospital, he literally visited a sick fan, how can anyone see that as anything other than kind?
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Larryg wrote:

Due process is dead.

Dude, I have seen HR department's tremanate because of sexual harassment allegations. And if you want to fight it in the corporate environment, Arbitration is the only route. Given the 12+ years of these allegations going back, I am surprised it took this long for something to finally break.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Animelvr2 wrote:
No, I do understand this situation and the trauma very well. But in the video I don't think Vic planned "Hey, I'll jump on this guy's back and traumatize him forever!" Was it right? No. Was he just doing it to be funny? Probably.

Yes, lots of bullies think they're just funny guys as they abuse and humiliate those around them. So what?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 13