• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Vic Mignogna No Longer a Member of RWBY Cast

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kakegurui

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:02 am Reply with quote
I also want to add that the women coming forward are very courageous and brave.

And to the people who are trying to blame the victims and thinking of ways to discredit the victims - Think to yourself, what would your response be if the victims were your daughter, niece? These girls are risking their lives trying to tell the truth. (Apparently, some are already receiving death threats from Vic supporters)
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:10 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
While Rooster Teeth is definitely doing the right thing, voice actors get swapped out in RWBY constantly

Could you expand a bit on this? Have the other primary VA roles in RWBY changed VAs a lot?

If you look at the cast, lots of actors have been swapped out between volumes. Probably the best known example of this is Mercury Black, whose original voice actor was replaced by Yuri Lowenthal prior to Volume 3. That being said, this is obviously the most significant of the changes given the context of the situation and the person involved.
Sandstar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:14 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
While Rooster Teeth is definitely doing the right thing, voice actors get swapped out in RWBY constantly

Could you expand a bit on this? Have the other primary VA roles in RWBY changed VAs a lot?

Ren's VA changed, but that was sadly, unavoidable. As well as Mercury. I don't think they've changed anyone else's VA. Even tho some should be recast, I'M LOOKING AT YOU CINDER. And if Glynda ever comes back, she'd probably be recast, since the VA left RT.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:19 am Reply with quote
uncutpokemon wrote:

No, I'm saying we should wait until it gets taken to court before we start getting him fired from stuff. And excuse me for not wanting him to be recast from shows that will suffer from quality loss as a result of his recasting.

If you owned a store and you caught an employee on video stealing, would you wait until they were convicted to fire them? Would you take them back of they were somehow acquitted? Of course not.

That is not a standard anyone has ever used in real lifr . Courts have an incredibly high standard of proof, but unless you're serving on a jury, you don't have to abide by it. You can judge the evidence on your own. You can disagree with a court's findings. Everyone does it all the time.
supercalafragilisticjoy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:22 am Reply with quote
ConventionThrowaway wrote:
This has been a long time coming, and I'm a little shocked it didn't happen sooner.

For the sake of not getting screwed from a PR front I'm posting this from an anonymous account of sorts. I'm not a VA, but I've been a featured guest at multiple conventions annually for more than 8 years now and can say that the stories I've heard about Vic from the VAs and con management in attendance were usually far from flattering. LGBT-allied VAs in particular have had a bone to pick with him for quite some time now, for sure, but there were always new stories every year about how he'd touched, kissed, or groped some con guest inappropriately. The stories never really seemed to result in any action being taken, so I was more than a little happy to hear that consequences are actually happening now.

I never saw him do anything personally, only heard what ran through the VA rumor mill, but given the reactions from some of my VA friends to the news, they couldn't be more pleased with what's happening. It strongly sounds like no VAs are going to be coming to his defense at Funimation in particular, and he probably will no longer be cast in future roles as a result of this all becoming public.

I'm going to second this. One of my good friends got asked to work at various cons as a translator, and she informed me of how awful Vic was when he made an appearance (I had been a fan and asked about him when I heard he was going to be at the con she was helping at). She didn't mention any specific sexual allegations, but that he was extremely rude, condescending to herself and the staff, made herself and others feel very uncomfortable with his comments, and overall had a very bad reputation among the various events she had worked for. I suspect if he wasn't so popular, most cons wouldn't invite him in the first place.
macattack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:30 am Reply with quote
Sandstar wrote:
Ren's VA changed, but that was sadly, unavoidable. As well as Mercury. I don't think they've changed anyone else's VA. Even tho some should be recast, I'M LOOKING AT YOU CINDER. And if Glynda ever comes back, she'd probably be recast, since the VA left RT.

Honestly I see Qrow vanishing from the series the same way Glynda did. They won't bother recasting, the character will just be gone without even a mention of the current whereabouts. Glynda's VA and RT had bad blood at the time of departure so I wouldn't be surprised if that happens to Qrow even tho he's become an essential character.

Last edited by macattack on Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:44 am; edited 2 times in total
Sandstar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:36 am Reply with quote
macattack wrote:
Sandstar wrote:

Honestly I see Qrow vanishing from the series the same way Glynda did. They won't bother recasting, the character will just be gone without even a mention of the current whereabouts. Glynda's VA and RT had bad blood at the time of departure so I wouldn't be surprised if that happens to Qrow even tho he's become an essential character.

They claimed it wouldn't affect the creative direction (Glynda vanished because they left Beacon, so it made sense). I guess we'll find out when the new season comes out.
trilaan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:04 am Reply with quote
I like RWBY and I like Qrow, though it doesn't matter too much to me who plays the role. Still, I hope the new Qrow VA(if there is one) still sounds the same for the sake of continuity.
Firefly251

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:03 am Reply with quote
this sucks.

Qrow had perfect voice actor for his character!

i know its casue of inappropriate actions (all\allegedly), but still sucks for the people who liked his character Sad
scrwbll19

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:08 am Reply with quote
We shouldn't be surprised that RoosterTeeth is dropping him. Companies are allergic to controversy at large because they don't want it to hit their bottom line. What is more surprising and disturbing is, assuming the allegations are true, that he has not gotten the boot before now. It seems that Hollywood's problem of covering up for their own has extended to the anime industry, something that saddens me. I watch anime partly out of a sense of escapism, not to see American politics. I have other venues for that.

Even though Monica Rial says that she said something twice 10 years ago, why was it seemingly okay after that point? It is odd to me that she and other VAs are now dumping him like yesterday's trash after all of this time. Not to blame any victims here, but something feels quite off about this. It almost feels like it would have gone on forever had it not blown up.

With that said, what appears to be mounting evidence against him really will probably have to be settled in court one way or another. The comments about due process do have a point. Social media and a mob-like mentality online with high emotions tend to blow situations up, sometimes appropriately and sometimes not. An online lynching is still a lynching, deserved or otherwise. (Please note that I am not defending him nor am I advocating for any action outside of provoking some thought.) If we as a society start destroying people's lives at the smallest unsavory thing, where does that lead us, if not leave us to our own worst impulses and devices?

Conversely, evil and inappropriate behavior needs to be kept in check. The internet has helped do this to a certain extent. The ousting of this VA may be the latest example. Still, part of me wonders if this is just the latest rendition of the #MeToo movement and the wake of the Cavanaugh hearings. Whether that is a good is probably still up for grabs.

No matter what, victims of sexual assault, abuse, rape, etc. need all of the support they can get and not have to live in the shadow of their assailant.
S0crates

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:56 am Reply with quote
Larryg wrote:
Losing jobs based on allegations.

Due process is dead.

If some high profile gets convicted in court, then I'd understand it, but this is basically just bullying?

ANN is not marketed as a gossip magazine. Social media is more than capable of dopamine enhancing outrage on their own (which most definitely is not a good thing), and for news organizations to jump on whatever bandwagon is trending is not a sign of healthy reporting. At the very least one should show both/all perspectives, yet here we got 20 angry tweets reflecting one side, with the other side only briefly being present in a few tweets that are being answered. I don't view this as very ethical, and I would ask ANN to do better.

ANN is the biggest anime news outlet, and they should take responsibility and act in accordance with what such a position entails. I don't believe they've acted in such a manner here.

Last edited by S0crates on Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:19 am; edited 2 times in total
theNightster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:00 am Reply with quote
uncutpokemon wrote:
Ok can we stop trying to get Vic fired from stuff? I actually like him as Broly, and I don't wanna have him replaced the next time Broly appears in the series (which you know he will), I also don't wanna have to have someone else play the parts he's been in just because of some claims with limited evidence. Innocent until proven guilty. Also to whoever posted the video of him visiting the girl in the hospital, he literally visited a sick fan, how can anyone see that as anything other than kind?

if I were a big Broly fan I would not want him associated with Vic considering the stories that have came out and if you think that he should keep his job because he voices your favorite character then you need to have a good long look at your self.
Gwiazdeczka

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:26 am Reply with quote
I don't watch english dub for anime, but I heard things about this guy pretty long time ago and I always thought how unprofessionally he acts. I know during events fans just having fun, but for VA is job.
I was shocked when I saw him kissing fan on cheek.
You can't do things like that to fan!
Even if fans agree on this, such things are inappropriate!
There are some boundaries, which should not exceed especially by a public figure.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:44 am Reply with quote
You reap what you sow. Maybe this'll land him in jail.
Dewey Donedidit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:48 am Reply with quote
loveliver wrote:
So, what would Funimation do?

Isn't Funimation the company that get complaints from fans about inserting politics into their dubs? If so, they probably will.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 13