• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Vic Mignogna No Longer a Member of RWBY Cast

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashley Hakker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:50 am Reply with quote
scrwbll19 wrote:
Aresef wrote:
I found Monica Rial’s tweets to be refreshingly straightforward. But they seem to imply Vic was protected—or at least that his behavior was excused or ignored or tolerated—by somebody or multiple somebodies at Funimation. I wonder who. And why.

I don't want to jump to conclusions here, but does Fukunaga Gen's departure from Funimation at his previous role have anything to do with this controversy? The timing is a little too good.

He was promoted to chairman, that's not really a departure.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:53 am Reply with quote
Dewey Donedidit wrote:
That's kinda the wrong comparison. This is more like you own a store and you see an employee with a T shirt on like the kind your store sells, but you never actually saw him steal it, but you just assumed he stole it when he could very well have purchased it legally but decided to fire him anyway based on your own gut feeling. That's what an allegation is. Video of someone explicitly shoplifting is actual proof, which we have none of at the moment.

How is that a better comparison? The allegation isn't that he disappeared into a room with someone and we're assuming he did something bad to her based upon nothing but our imagination. We have photographs of him touching underage girls, and statements from those girls that they didn't want him to do so. What exactly do you think a smoking gun would be?

S0crates wrote:

How do you know that? ANN have clearly not tried reaching out to anyone other than Vic, and #KickVic. Just looking up those Twitter replies there was this group packet with people of a different impression. This took me 10 seconds to find. Yet you're telling me ANN actively tried to get a different perspective (outside twitter of course) and couldn't find one, not a single one? ANN didn't even bother to write he denied the charges.

The problem with this line of thinking is, "I know he acts skeevy" is evidence that he's skeevy; "I've never seen him act skeevy" isn't proof of anything, and a girl saying, "I was fine with him hugging and kissing me," doesn't mean every girl he hugged and kissed was okay with it. Such a line of reasoning would not only make for bad journalism, but it wouldn't be permitted in a court of law, either, so you can't very well argue for it while also saying Mignogna deserves due process.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:54 am Reply with quote
GMArcturus wrote:
SailorTralfamadore wrote:
sailorsweeper wrote:
Quote:
Neil Kaplan's take was just... a piggy back ride? Seems a bit of gasping at straws now.

Doesn't matter its video proof of unwanted attention and is what matters in this situation.

If you read Neil's tweets, he talks about Vic's crotch being against his neck. That's a pretty big boundary violation, especially when you consider that they didn't previously know each other. Yeesh.

So if you are giving a guy a piggyback ride then where do you expect their crotch to go? Are you expecting it to just disappear until you are done? I didn't expect that level of stupidity from people on this site.

While I'm still wondering why the public humiliation was necessary after watching the video, here you are justifying it by saying "Where else would Vic mount him?"

I suppose not doing it was out of the question? Of course, that just brings up the idea of "not doing it" for all these instances both stated and implied.

From Monica Rial who offers the most concise statement on Vic "not doing it":

Quote:
This behavior has been going on 15+ years. We're not going to allow it anymore.

I feel the very strong "we" suggests this get posted on every page in the thread. The fanbase gets one face, those working with him both in the studio and in the cons get the full experience. Very clearly, she is privy to things we can only guess at.

As for the allegations, I'm hoping our society gets beyond the point of placing most of burden of proof on the accusers, even when the behavior in question is less criminal and merely distasteful. "Those in power get the benefits, those beneath them grin and bear it."

Yes, just like that mounting video, what a great example of my point.

"Well, 'innocent until proven guilty' means that the accusers have absolute proof that the accused is in the wrong here... or broke a law... or did something I personally don't like weighted against how much I like the accused."
[shrugs] At some point, perhaps we'll find a balance but until then, I'll throw my weight behind the accusers provided they're only anonymous for reasons of the law.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:04 am Reply with quote
GMArcturus wrote:

So if you are giving a guy a piggyback ride then where do you expect their crotch to go? Are you expecting it to just disappear until you are done? I didn't expect that level of stupidity from people on this site.

I don't expect a grown man to jump on my shoulders, period. If I had to give somebody a piggyback ride for some reason, I'd expect them to put their arms around my shoulders and legs around my waist with their crotch nowhere near my head, because only small children do the over-the-shoulder style. Having a grown adult do it that way is not only invasive, it's dangerous.
Alestal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:10 am Reply with quote
I attended one of Vic's panels at Akon a couple years back. He addressed these accusations in front of the 1,000+ people in the room. He made it very clear then that his intention was to engage with his fans and bring them joy (which is why cons pay for his time), not to invade their personal space and make them uncomfortable.

During the panel, I was sitting in the front row next to my friend who is a funi voice actor. I remember that during his performance he did get extremely close to my face (like 3 inches), smiled at me, and looked directly into my eyes. (By the way, I am a guy) Having met a few "celebrities" over the years, I did find his behavior surprising...to say the least.

I think he is most likely a narcissist (or sociopath?) that loves attention and interacting with fans (maybe a little too much?). He is attractive and seems to play that to his upmost advantage to cater to his fan base (hormone driven teens mostly..). However, he obviously has not exercised self control and continued to "play with fire" even after concerns were raised. Maybe now that he has been burned he will give more credence to the complaints of the public. Hopefully, this is a learning opportunity for him and he adapts to the current social climate.

Last edited by Alestal on Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:18 am Reply with quote
carefreejules wrote:
Animelvr2 wrote:
This is so stupid. Vic was just having fun by the looks of it (but getting on his back was a litttle much.) I met him once at a convention and he was nothing but nice. I really like his voice acting too. I hope he gets his roles back. Sad

I don't think you quite understand the sheer gravity of trauma that someone can experience when they're being treated in a way that they didn't give consent to.
If it turns out that that get stories of him touching people in inappropriate places or forcing himself onto other people, then I'm 100% against him. But simply hugging someone and kissing them on the cheek is not a big deal, no harm has been done.
S0crates

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:28 am Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:

S0crates wrote:

Zip

The problem with this line of thinking is, "I know he acts skeevy" is evidence that he's skeevy; "I've never seen him act skeevy" isn't proof of anything, and a girl saying, "I was fine with him hugging and kissing me," doesn't mean every girl he hugged and kissed was okay with it. Such a line of reasoning would not only make for bad journalism, but it wouldn't be permitted in a court of law, either, so you can't very well argue for it while also saying Mignogna deserves due process.

Well, this trial of public opinion shouldn't happen to begin with. But if you're going down this rabbit hole, then if someone comes out and say "That Monica person is a known liar that hates Vic", then you have all you need. Just a statement about Vic's overall character would add value as well, or how hectic some of the conventions can get or how many people may show up each time. None of these things are present, only a video clip out of context. The point was more to illustrate how heavily one sided this article was. Heck, some of those tweets isn't really obvious that has anything to do with this case. The people stating that they believe survivors most definitely can't be talking about this case, were the allegations were of rather minor character (inappropriate piggyback ride). If anything it seems like what a bunch of guys that know nothing about the case would say just to virtue signal (they would say the same no matter who/what happened). Not people to emulate so to speak.

The fact that we are have to speculate about all these things further illustrates that this isn't something that should be brought out of the court rooms to begin with. It's just gossip and speculation, and people read it for 5 minutes then move on to the next thing. A court takes much more time for a reason, and that's to figure out what actually happened, not just yell angry at the ugliest person in the room only to call it a day.

Animegomaniac wrote:

As for the allegations, I'm hoping our society gets beyond the point of placing most of burden of proof on the accusers, even when the behavior in question is less criminal and merely distasteful.

That is how it has to be. If not you'll end up with a police state where everyone accuse everyone in fear of getting accused first. I don't think you comprehend how society will crumble if you do what you suggest.

Reading stuff like this makes me realize that the presumption of innocence has to be taught in school to a greater degree. The day the law change into what you suggest, is the same day I'll use that law to take out all my business rivals one by one. We know some already use it to move up the career latter, though the libel laws currently keep them somewhat in balance thus far.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:54 am Reply with quote
[url]Check out @VoiceOfVegeta’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/VoiceOfVegeta/status/1092814170096103426?s=09[/url]

Chris Sabat's recent tweet is telling on this situation.
Aresef

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Not to be lost in all of this chaos, and it bears repeating if you are someone bringing forward allegations against Vic or anybody: You are loved, you are important, you matter and your story is valid.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:32 pm Reply with quote
S0crates wrote:

Well, this trial of public opinion shouldn't happen to begin with.

Why not? If Mignogna punched somebody, and there was a photo of the punch, and multiple people were coming forward and saying, "Yeah, Vic's a punchy guy," you wouldn't be saying this. Why is touching teenage girls different?

Quote:
But if you're going down this rabbit hole, then if someone comes out and say "That Monica person is a known liar that hates Vic", then you have all you need.

If there were only a single accuser and no photos, then yes, evidence that the person has a history of lying would undercut the story. But that is not the case here. We have dozens of people saying Mignogna is a skeezeball, with photographic evidence of him beeing skeevy.

Quote:
Just a statement about Vic's overall character would add value as well, or how hectic some of the conventions can get or how many people may show up each time.

No one can know someone's overall character. They can only report what they've seen. And people who've never seen Mignogna misbehaving only show that he didn't misbehave in their view.

Quote:
None of these things are present, only a video clip out of context. The point was more to illustrate how heavily one sided this article was. Heck, some of those tweets isn't really obvious that has anything to do with this case. The people stating that they believe survivors most definitely can't be talking about this case, were the allegations were of rather minor character (inappropriate piggyback ride).

Have you ... have you followed this story at all? There are photos of him touching teenage girls. That's what the VAs are tweeting about.

Quote:
If anything it seems like what a bunch of guys that know nothing about the case would say just to virtue signal (they would say the same no matter who/what happened). Not people to emulate so to speak.

Interesting ... so we have to wait until Mignogna is found guilty in a court of law before condemning his behavior, but you're free to cast aspersions on us and our motivations?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I was looking at Twitter and I noticed that Todd Haberkorn was being brought up as well, did something happen with him? this is the first I've heard of it.
MF65

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:36 pm Reply with quote
GMArcturus wrote:
I didn't expect that level of stupidity from people on this site.

I mean, you're clearly going out of your way to act daft, so I'm not sure you get to call anyone else stupid. Let me try to make this easy for you to understand. There's a random stranger (remember, this is what Vic was to this person before the "crotch-gate" happened) who approaches you, climbs on your shoulders and starts rubbing his crotch against your neck in front of an audience. Would you be okay with it? Maybe. This person clearly wasn't, though, and that's all that matters here.
Personally, I find it humiliating. Vic, in his eagerness to show how much of a cool bro he is, just got into this dude's personal space without even bothering to check if he consented to it. Seems to be a recurring thing with him. Boundaries are something that should be respected. I think that's what Vic and the people who are still defending his actions fail to understand.
Shaone

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Well I've been going to cons for 10 years. I've seen Vic 3 times. All the times I saw him he was professional and a bit flirty. The worst thing i saw Vic do was sit on a woman's lap, asked if it was ok, and teased that people on social media would get upset over it.

One thing that has not been brought up in this discussion so far is that Vic is a rock-star at cons. He has the biggest venues of any VA that comes to a con. While there may be some women/girls who've received unwanted attention or affection from Vic there are a lot more who want it. There is a disproportionate number of young girls at his panels who eagerly want to get close to him.

Is a 50 year-old guy hugging a 14 year-old girl, creepy? Yes, it is. On the flipside, however, hundreds of girls ask for selfies with Vic at every con he attends. To be fair how is Vic supposedly to 100% accurately tell a girl wants a hug or just a handshake? He's human, he will make mistakes. He's older and should know better. Vic does deserve part of the blame. Another part is parents. They let their kids go unsupervised to a con where things like that may happen. The last part is society as a whole. We don't teach women to set boundaries with a firm handshake. A handshake clearly establishes a boundary between two people We don't teach women to do that. That last one is on us.

Last edited by Shaone on Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
macattack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:39 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I was looking at Twitter and I noticed that Todd Haberkorn was being brought up as well, did something happen with him? this is the first I've heard of it.

As someone who read the other thread, discussion of Todd is not being allowed right now by the mods. I am sure there will be a piece about Todd soon enough like there was with Vic...
Aresef

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:41 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

He outed himself as the unnamed VA Jessie Pridemore mentioned--nobody was asking his opinion, but he jumped in to do so and defended Vic in the process. He posted a statement on FB which seems to have been deleted. Here's Adam Sheehan's thread reacting to that, as well as the Vic situation more broadly: https://twitter.com/neumaverick/status/1091106085006524416
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 13