• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dororo

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:44 pm Reply with quote
catandmouse wrote:
I've read the original manga and I can't remember a lot of it, so I'm not sure if Mio's "profession" is an anime only story or if it was present in the manga

Implied,but not shown.
(Chapter 3: Monk- page 100)
sailorstarsun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps if Lauren's bias character shows up, she'll finally rank an episode above a B, even if there's zero point to it at all. It's sad to see everything get ranked so low because she can't understand plot points.

I actually yelled out "Of course it would be the real leg!" when the demon grabbed Hyakkimaru. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop But overall, I actually found this episode really touching, though sad. I like that Hyakki is falling for Mio based on her voice and gentleness alone, and the scene where he touched her lip because he wanted to hear her sing was really adorable. And his smile! So precious.

I'm so anxious for next week.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I never saw Mio selling her body as being a surprise, I guessed it the second it was said she "worked for the soldiers." Then there are the other hints like when Dororo mentions Hyakkimaru seeing people's souls and Mio adjusts her collar.

The real shock was Hyakkimaru losing his foot while regaining his voice. There's this interesting back and forth going on about pain and growth. Hyakkimaru gets various body parts back, but with them comes pain. Perhaps the show is meant to reinforce that there is no growth without pain or nothing can be earned without pain. The irony of Hyakkimaru in this is that Hyakkimaru is seeking out his regained body, but now he's exposed to sensations and ideas he never knew before now. It's almost a weird kind of enlightenment for him
everapril

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Me (breathlessly describing this anime to my long suffering husband): And he and this street urchin have to defeat 12 demons in order to regain his limbs and senses using-
Husband: Let me guess, the power of friendship?
Me: -swords for arms!
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:46 am Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
I wouldn't say "newly" returned leg, since he got it quite a while before even meeting with Dororo, in a flashback

Oh, duh, I completely forgot that was all from the flashback scenes.
Dosmundos

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:40 am Reply with quote
Okay, I freely admit that I didn't get the profession until she actually showed up at the war camp, so I'm either still extremely naive at my almost 50 years, or I just don't expect that much "real life" in an anime (I am sure I would have picked up the hints immediately in a live action film or a book).
Nevertheless, what was clear to me was that we were more supposed to watch Dororo's horror than being shocked alongside...
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:41 am Reply with quote
This was arguably my first 5/5 episode so far for the show, and I come by to see it with a B-? What? First off, I think it's pretty obvious we were supposed to be more put in the moment with Dororo and empathize with him and with Mio's pain than be genuinely shocked/surprised by it. I also feel like this review has missed out on a lot of thematic depth regarding Hyakkimaru's simultaneous acquisition and loss of humanity this episode. It's also baffling for me to read that the reviewer finds Mio's plot thread to be a diversion, when her inclusion was probably my favorite aspect of the episode.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:18 am Reply with quote
I thought this week's episode was very tragic and I thought it did a good of handling all the emotions of the characters. I liked seeing how Biwamaru and Dororo are helping Hyakkimaru to get adjusted to sound and how Biwamaru is trying to help Mio and her family find a safe place from the war. I also got kind of Princess Mononoke vibe from this week's episode with the focus on how war impacts the less fortunate and the mix of supernatural demons at the end. The scene when Biwamaru is looking for a safe exit and comments about how the animals know the safer paths than humans do especially reminded me a lot of Princess Mononoke for some reason.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6:

spoiler[Well, that was depressing. Even knowing Mio and the kids were going to die didn't make it any less heart-wrenching. It's a tragedy of fate with actions coming to a head and the clincher being Hyakkimaru wasn't there when they needed him.

And again, there's another theme of loss and gain. I was surprised they actually gave Hyakkimaru his leg back, though the logic seems to be "the antlion demon got an extra life by taking something from Hyakkimaru" so Hyakkimaru got it back in the rematch along with his voice. Also, neat idea for him to hide a sword in his peg leg to surprise the demon. But still, even after that the theme of loss is reinforced as Hyakkimaru being absent leads to Mio and the kids being unjustly murdered and Hyakkimaru almost completely gives in to his wrath, only saved by Dororo pulling him back from the brink.

And of course we also have the backdrop of Daigo's realm being affected more and more by Hyakkimaru gaining his body back. The rice fields are struggling and rain was stopped right when Hyakkimaru defeated the latest demon. It's a monkey's paw as all it has done is given Daigo transient prosperity and now karma has come to collect, bringing the downfall of his realm.]
DanQ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:19 am Reply with quote
I think Mio's job didn't mean to be suprise for viewers, just for Dororo. And maybe he probably subconsciously know what she is doin't at night, because he cleary know what this job is (see his comments about his mother).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
danpmss

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:23 am Reply with quote
Welp, I already knew everything that was going to happen regarding this arc, as a Tezuka fanboy since childhood, and yet, it didn't make this episode any less difficult to swallow... Anime cry
Ajc228

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:14 am Reply with quote
I’m a bit surprised that the reviewer neglected to mention that beautiful cut of fight animation at the end of this week’s episode. The direction in this show is great.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
While last week I critiqued the unnecessary veil of mystery around Mio's profession, ... It makes me wonder if Mio's profession was ever a mystery to the orphans at all.

Decided to double down here, eh? Smile

Yes, Mio's actual work was unknown to the orphans. See her conversation with the oldest boy Take where he notices she's hurt and she says she fell. If he knew what she was actually doing, he wouldn't have asked how she got hurt. See also his conversation with Dororo, who treads very carefully as they talk about Mio's work.

While sparing the samurai's life was probably essential for Hyakkimaru's humanity, I have a feeling it may come back to bite them.
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

While sparing the samurai's life was probably essential for Hyakkimaru's humanity, I have a feeling it may come back to bite them.

Yeah, while i appreciated Dororo looking out for Hyakkimaru, i couldn't help thinking "that guy is the only witness, maybe after killing him would have been a better time...".

Anyway, that was a very sad but also beautiful episode which gave me a lot of feels. I think i finally lost it when Dororo and Hyakkimaru walked through the golden rice paddy together... Crying or Very sad
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:17 pm Reply with quote
So when he kills them, he not only regains missing parts of his body, but anything they may take from him in a fight?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 13