• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection Film's N. American Screenings Slated for May

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AceLuffy4Ever

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Yes to the English Dub screening, hopefully all of the cast returns especially Johnny yong Bosch
pajmo9

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:48 pm Reply with quote
So, let me get this straight. The first three films aren't receiving a dub but the fourth one is.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:59 pm Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:
So, let me get this straight. The first three films aren't receiving a dub but the fourth one is.

Seems to be the case. Makes no sense how Funi's handling this to me.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:17 am Reply with quote
It's probably a lot easier to make a dub for two hours of footage rather than for eight.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:38 am Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
It's probably a lot easier to make a dub for two hours of footage rather than for eight.
It's probably a lot easier to make a dub for 3 episodes out of a 12 episode television series but it's still a bad idea. I guess their train of thought was probably that the first three movies were recaps so they don't matter.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:14 am Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:

Recap movies almost never get dubs because they're just repeating the same exact material you can find in the normal TV series. Besides, we don't fully know yet how this movie will connect to the franchise (the idea that it's basically the Code Geass version of Madoka Rebellion seems to be stemming from the fact that it's a movie instead of a TV series like most had hoped).
Kicksville

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:01 am Reply with quote
As I understand it, the compilation films are mostly straight forward until the last one makes some rather significant changes - enough to matter, but also can be conveyed in like, two sentences of spoilers.

Far as only running this fourth one in theaters goes, I'm personally OK with that, since I only care about seeing this all new one anyway (I have uhhh mixed feelings on Code Geass in general). But unless this movie appropriately recaps those changes in some way at the start, it sounds like this may end up being very confusing for people not aware of those changes.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:17 am Reply with quote
I'm a bit worried about the voice cast, yeah sure Johnny, Yuri and Kate will be back, but that still leaves a lot left unaccounted for. Even if they do the smart thing and have it recorded in LA, will they still get the likes of; Steve, Troy, Crispin, Mary, Laura etc.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:39 am Reply with quote
So um where do you usually buy tickets from Funimation movies? Fathom Events?

Also my Birthday is May 6th so while it does not fall on my birthday this will make a lovely present if they screen it in Ohio or West Virginia *hint hint Funi* I don't mind a 2 1/2~3 hour road trip to Columbus since thats the closest most anime movies are screened. I love Code Geass too much I just hope that the movie lives up to R1 and the last handful of episodes of R2.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:33 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I'm a bit worried about the voice cast, yeah sure Johnny, Yuri and Kate will be back, but that still leaves a lot left unaccounted for. Even if they do the smart thing and have it recorded in LA, will they still get the likes of; Steve, Troy, Crispin, Mary, Laura etc.

Funimation will most likely do a union dub with this one considering how many actors they need to have return, which will allow people like Crispin Freeman to return. Even if they don't, they'll still be able to pick up a sizable amount of actors such as Karen Strassman, Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, Liam O'Brien, Stephanie Sheh, David Vincent, and maybe Laura Bailey.

That being said, I would worry about actors that have retired since the original series. You won't be seeing Michael Lindsay (Tamaki, though the seiyu also died so they might not even give him lines), Amy Kincaid (Shirley), Kim Mai Guest (Nina/Sayoko), Jessica Straus (Tianxi), and others. Also expect Matthew Mercer to take over for Troy Baker, as Baker's given up on anime entirely.

As for newcomers, I'm really hoping that they do have some more Funimation talent involved. Personally I'm most hoping for Todd Haberkorn and Brina Palencia, as they also work in California, and they're my favorite anime VAs for their respective genders. Knowing California though, they'll probably go for their established up-and-coming actors like Kyle McCarley, Billy Kametz, Erica Mendez, etc.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:10 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

Funimation will most likely do a union dub with this one considering how many actors they need to have return, which will allow people like Crispin Freeman to return. Even if they don't, they'll still be able to pick up a sizable amount of actors such as Karen Strassman, Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, Liam O'Brien, Stephanie Sheh, David Vincent, and maybe Laura Bailey.

That being said, I would worry about actors that have retired since the original series. You won't be seeing Michael Lindsay (Tamaki, though the seiyu also died so they might not even give him lines), Amy Kincaid (Shirley), Kim Mai Guest (Nina/Sayoko), Jessica Straus (Tianxi), and others. Also expect Matthew Mercer to take over for Troy Baker, as Baker's given up on anime entirely.
Troy did Baki recently, so it could just be a case of union dubs only(Netflix do union dubs?).

I am expecting a certain amount to not return regardless of how well Funiamtion pull it off, even with a LA union dub. I'm just hoping that enough come back so it at least feels like the original dub.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:40 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

Good question. They seem to mostly focus on games now due to better pay, but being asked to reprise is different from auditioning, so there is a chance.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:09 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

Troy did Baki recently, so it could just be a case of union dubs only(Netflix do union dubs?).

I am expecting a certain amount to not return regardless of how well Funiamtion pull it off, even with a LA union dub. I'm just hoping that enough come back so it at least feels like the original dub.

I actually did not know Baker did Baki; that’s extremely surprising, especially since it isn’t a reprisal. Until Baki, Baker hadn’t done an original anime since 2012; he even gave up his ongoing Naruto roles to Matthew Mercer in 2014 (Naruto is also an union dub, so that seems to refute your theory). My guess is, Netflix just threw a lot of their cash at Baker to convince him to sign up, which is also odd since they seem to always stick to the same actors in almost all of their anime.

As I said earlier, there are definitely actors that won’t come back due to retirement. That said, out of all the dub companies, Funimation is the most trustworthy when it comes to having actors reprise their roles, with AoA and Sentai having butchered it numerous times (Funimation has also, to be fair, but after Danganronpa they seem to be trying to avoid similar situations at all cost).

Also, as a side note, I was partially wrong on Tamaki: he does have speaking lines, just this time with a new actor. Expect Michael Lindsay to be replaced by Doug Erholtz, due to him doing so in the past with Naruto and Bleach.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1