• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Roommate is a Cat

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
j_plex

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:51 pm Reply with quote
How I feel about the animals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DigV5KfIhW8
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The one thing I wish My Roommate is a Cat had shown this episode is the incredible ordeal it can be to get a cat into those carriers

QFT! I kept hoping that at least they'd show it from Haru's pov. Also, apparently she didn't get spayed. >.> It seemed like she didn't even get vaccinated. But I really liked the "Why are you just watching?! Help me!"

From the OP/ED it looks like she's not getting the bell back. It's always seemed to me like a bell would drive the cat nuts.
alconnow_

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I hope we see more of the dog. He’s such a good boy.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:40 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Just for the record, if memory serves right, the dog's name is Taro.]

First of all, Casey is such a floof. Absolutely adorable.

Second, Demonskid, all your kitties are precious. Please give them scritches from the bacterium!

And third, the ordeal of the cat carrier brings a lot of memories. My cat was so afraid of that, she'd lose control of her bladder, and sometimes her sphincter, whenever we took her to the vet (which led to me giving her a long, warm shower afterwards. She didn't like it much, but she didn't try to escape). Instead, most of the time, the vet came to the apartment and gave the cats (my mother had a black one) their shots.

-Sigh- I wish I could get a cat, but I live with an elderly lady with far too many fragile trinkets now. Not an option.
Terrible90sDub

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:08 pm Reply with quote
I have two cats from the same litter and yet they couldn't be more opposite when it comes to going to the vet.

One of them is the rare type of cat that doesn't mind going to the vet, he frequently even rolls over on his back and purs during the visit, something even they seem surprised by. The other is terrified and I imagine she's thinking similar thoughts to Haru on the matter.

They both hate the carrier though, that seems to be a near-universal cat trait... unless you're already at the vet, in which case they willingly dive back into the carrier.

Also completely agree that the cat perspective is the strongest aspect of the anime. His sections are fine, but I feel I spend most episodes going "I can't wait to see Haru's perspective on this!"
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
From the OP/ED it looks like she's not getting the bell back. It's always seemed to me like a bell would drive the cat nuts.

When Casey had a collar, he had a bell on it and he really liked it, but we had to remove it because it drove the other cats nuts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:41 am Reply with quote
I'm in love with that kinking tail near the beginning of the OP, waving to the beat. I look forward to it every episode. Very Happy

So much fun seeing everyone's pictures here. I would totally post some of my own if I weren't such a complete techno-dummy.

Terrible90sDub wrote:
I have two cats from the same litter and yet they couldn't be more opposite when it comes to going to the vet.

Ditto. My two kitties, sisters, are pretty much polar opposites in everything. One cowers at the back of the carrier, making herself as small as possible. The other treats the exam room as newly annexed territory to be owned and explored. First time at the vet she climbed on every piece of furniture and weighed herself twice.

Terrible90sDub wrote:
I spend most episodes going "I can't wait to see Haru's perspective on this!"

Yes, this!
ConnormonCat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:30 am Reply with quote
Ep 4 was so lovely because I live for Nana and Subaru interactions.
And they're sort-of neighbors eeeh, I can't wait for her to meet Haru.
HolsteinCrab

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:49 pm Reply with quote
De-lurking to post my sincerest condolences to Rose on the loss of George. I lost my own black and white cat back in June and she would've been 15 had she lived. Watching this show has proved a bittersweet experience for me as it reminds me of the wonderful girl I've lost but also how lovely it was to be with her. I can't imagine how painful it must be to watch this so soon after the loss of a beloved cat and Rose has my deepest respect for soldiering on.

I completely agree with her on the lack of figeting from Haru when Subaru carried her all that way over to Nana's. All the cats in my experience have been prime wrigglers even when being carried from one room to another, much less an unfamiliar street with all sorts of busy things potentially going on in the background. Either Haru is fairly blase about Subaru carrying her to unfamiliar places or Subaru has a cast iron grip we don't know about.

It is lamentable that this episode's plot was a bit more predictable than usual but I'm willing to forgive due to being a sucker for cat siblings being reunited, especially kitties that had such a hard start as Haru and Hachi. As a cat lover there's just something so heartwarming about seeing cats find a happy home.
j_plex

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:00 am Reply with quote
I watch this less for the cats and more because it is one of the few slice of life type anime that is about adults and in particular adults who are not otaku. (Whatever happened to the anime about cops and detectives that were so popular in the 80s and 90s?) I liked Holmes of Kyoto and Barakmon for similar reasons.

I agree that this episode was predictable. I still liked it a lot because it focused less on the deceased parents, plus the editor and the best friend - their being necessary to the narrative does not make them less annoying - were given a break. (March Comes In Like A Lion did a much better job with their "unwanted best friend" character. But I guess the character in this one is more similar to the one in Holmes of Kyoto. ) Also it being predictable was OK because it was a neat little bridge episode to set up the next arc.

But perhaps the reviewer didn't stick around for the brief after credits scene? It gave a glimpse of a new character who may be important to the next arc.
TexZero

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:10 am Reply with quote
Nana's cats being name Hachi and Roku respectively ignited a head cannon that the author is secretly telling us that they are an Initial D fan.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:20 am Reply with quote
Aww, my condolences, Rose. But it seems like George lived a long and happy life.

Haru's reunion with Hachi was so adorable, i also loved it when Subaru called her and she realized that "Haru" might actually be her name. Looking forward to lerarning more about Roku and Mr. Mystery Bishie, i guess the chances that he might actually be Nana's boyfriend or her brother (Go? Shinichi? Sanji?!) are 50:50... Very Happy
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the condolences, everyone. George had been on the decline for a long while; he'd stopped cleaning himself and acquired various health problems. In his last days he'd even had trouble jumping, something he'd always been very skilled at (he could jump into hard-to-reach places, open cabinets, etc.) So we kind of knew this day was coming, which made it easier, especially since he seemed to be suffering. He hadn't been "himself" for nearly a year. But it's still very sad to lose a lifelong friend. I'm trying to remember the good times, and be glad he passed on peacefully. He always hated going to the vet, would pitch a huge fit when put in the cat carrier, so I'm glad he got to die at home, surrounded by his loved ones, rather than at the vet hospital.

I did lose another cat, Louie, last year, who I plan to post more photos of, and that was much harder. Louie had had kidney issues for a few years but they really suddenly declined over Christmas 2017 when he got sick, and we found out we had to put him down. Louie is the sweetest, gentlest, most friendly cat (he was almost like a dog in how much he loved people, and would beg hard for visitors' attention) I've ever known, and I still really miss him so much. Pets really are family, and losing them can be as tough as losing any other family member sometimes. But it's part of the bargain we strike for a decade or so of happiness with them, and giving them better lives.

TexZero wrote:
Nana's cats being name Hachi and Roku respectively ignited a head cannon that the author is secretly telling us that they are an Initial D fan.

See I was thinking of this and having recently read Junji Ito's Cat Diary, wondering if it's a common thing in Japan to name your cats after numbers? I know some of these (like Hachi) can have alternate meanings or also be nicknames, but naming your cats Six and Eight just feels so weird to me, lol.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Even odder or maybe not so odd? when her name is Seven. You'd think she'd at least name them either Eight and Nine or Five and Six. Very Happy

I thought it was also odd that neither of them seemed to notice the resemblance of her cat to his. Even if not suspecting they're related, that seems like something you'd comment on, if only for conversation's sake. Even the review commented on George's resemblance to Haru! (and yes, my sympathies to you for his passing)
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Even odder or maybe not so odd? when her name is Seven. You'd think she'd at least name them either Eight and Nine or Five and Six. Very Happy

It doesn't seem odd in Japan to name your children after numbers...and Roku is definitely the head of the house and he probably was already older (in cat years) than Nana when she adopted him, so the numbers make perfect sense! Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4