• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Rosario + Vampire Dub VA Jamie Marchi Alleges Mignogna Grabbed, Pulled Her Hair

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashabel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Sethimothy wrote:
15 years ago, it was con knowledge that Vic was a hands on guy and his fans were young enough to make that creepy, but it was "OK" because, you know, anime. Now he is some sort of pariah and the mob is out to get him and maybe if we act like the vilest pieces of excrement we can to all our detractors, we can Make Anime Great Again and save Vic's employability in the process.

What timeline am I living in?

I really have no idea what you're talking about. There was never any era in which Vic's behavior was considered "OK" because, you know, anime. He has been condemned and criticized for his behavior for as long as I remember. Hell, I still remember when he was cast as Viral and Gurren Lagann and the ANN thread reporting on it was basically twenty pages of telling Funimation to go get cancer, accusing them of unfairly doting on Vic because he's friends with the higher-ups and demanding his removal from the role.
Swiftyy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Watching this continue to blow up in the last few days has been illuminating. I do wish this article had highlighted some of the things Jamie has posted these past few days, it definitely gives further scope to the current situation and allegations.

(I'm reposting this comment as the last one seems to have gotten removed. I've removed the images this time, which I assume was the problem. If not can y'all please at least tell me the problem)
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Swiftyy wrote:
Watching this continue to blow up in the last few days has been illuminating. I do wish this article had highlighted some of the things Jamie has posted these past few days, it definitely gives further scope to the current situation and allegations.

(I'm reposting this comment as the last one seems to have gotten removed. I've removed the images this time, which I assume was the problem. If not can y'all please at least tell me the problem)

Marchi saying, "I want his head," etc. isn't a threat, it's a fairly common way of expressing rage. Maybe she crossed a line (although it's certainly nowhere as bad as what a lot of Vic supporters have been saying to her) but it doesn't remotely negate the allegations. If anything, the allegations explain why she's so angry at Vic that she felt the need to express it that way.
Mirvana

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Ashabel wrote:
Sethimothy wrote:
15 years ago, it was con knowledge that Vic was a hands on guy and his fans were young enough to make that creepy, but it was "OK" because, you know, anime. Now he is some sort of pariah and the mob is out to get him and maybe if we act like the vilest pieces of excrement we can to all our detractors, we can Make Anime Great Again and save Vic's employability in the process.

What timeline am I living in?

I really have no idea what you're talking about. There was never any era in which Vic's behavior was considered "OK" because, you know, anime. He has been condemned and criticized for his behavior for as long as I remember. Hell, I still remember when he was cast as Viral and Gurren Lagann and the ANN thread reporting on it was basically twenty pages of telling Funimation to go get cancer, accusing them of unfairly doting on Vic because he's friends with the higher-ups and demanding his removal from the role.

I think Seth was speaking to why no action had been taken before, not that Vic's actions were ever actually OK, because "anime". The rest of their post is clearly not Pro-Vic and the last line seems more of a jab at the people who are in the Stand-With-Vic camp.
Sethimothy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Ashabel wrote:

Your results may have varied. I firmly remember being put off by this weird vibe that a lot of the groping and harassing and unusual behavior and being told flat out that I "just didn't get it" and that "this is what a convention is." Clearly at the very least such behavior had a sick undercurrent of acceptance to it, willing to drown those screaming for help.

I am on mobile and this website hates me; if you know how to pull up that thread and post the link I would be greatful. Plus it would be even more fuel for the "this isn't new; people knew" fire.

Last edited by Sethimothy on Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Victims voices should be heard and the accused have a right to be presumed innocent until proven otherwise in a court of law. But respectfully to the community, I find Jaime Marchi to be a hard pill to be swallowed after her own recent controversies with Prison School and Dragon Maid. And the way she openly insulted people on Twitter. She alone is one reason why I haven't bought Dubbed Anime for a long time, because I did not want to support these actions. But I found this comment interesting:

Quote:
Now, I do work in an affectionate industry; we hug a lot, and on occasion, will give kiss on the cheek.

Support or hate him, this actually collaborates Vic's comments about the culture he's in. They are affectionate, apparently their bounds are different than those of the public. But I am disturbed by the way she describes the hair pulling, which has been previously reported by other accusers. I'm honestly not sure if it would would be classified as a sexual assault, but it's hard to deny if these allegations of true, it is a type of assault.

The way tension is mounting in the community, I think we might be seeing a class action lawsuit against Vic real soon.

Gemnist wrote:
To all the people defending Vic, try to consider THIS before you do so:

https://twitter.com/vicmignogna/status/1094013989653237762

That's right. The person you're trying to defend by instead attacking others, is instead defending those other people from people like you. And let's be honest - any sane person would agree with him in this instance.

Anyone with common sense wouldn't threaten online because it's actually illegal. Don't do it ! But you should not cast judgement on his fans because he asked people not to harass or a handful of his fans crossing the line. Be mindful there are internet trolls purposely adding fuel to the fire, because we see it all the time now with politics and social media (ex. the recent Washington MAGA Hat incident). To what degree, that's for investigators to find out.
[/quote]
Swiftyy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:55 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
Marchi saying, "I want his head," etc. isn't a threat, it's a fairly common way of expressing rage. Maybe she crossed a line (although it's certainly nowhere as bad as what a lot of Vic supporters have been saying to her) but it doesn't remotely negate the allegations. If anything, the allegations explain why she's so angry at Vic that she felt the need to express it that way.

I never suggested the things she posted were threatening, apologies if that's what my initial post suggested. I am of the opinion that one wouldn't act and post in such a way if there wasn't credence to what they were saying.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:05 pm Reply with quote
You know, after three threads on Vic related topics, there was a part of me, a small naive part, that hoped this thread wouldn't blow up and result in a bunch of deleted posts like last time. Seems I was wrong.

So, to address a few things:

- Regarding ANN reporting allegations against other people, these things take time to report on properly. Don't assume that just because an article isn't up now that ANN is ignoring the situation. If/when other articles go up, then those allegations can be discussed in those talkback threads. Until then, such discussion is, like in the other Vic threads, off topic.

- The reason for the initial Vic article, and also the reason for any other articles of a similar nature, was explained by ANN's CEO here. Bamboo and Lynzee also went into depth about the reasons here and here. So there is no need to post conspiracy theories about the timing or the reasons for these articles, it's all out in the open.

In addition, Lynzee addressed ANN's use of photos in the original Vic article here. Again, this is all in the open. Engaging in conspiracy theories about either of these topics is pointless and will just lead to your posts getting deleted or edited.

- This is not the place to complain about ANN staff or volunteers twitter activity. There is a feedback forum on ANN. Tempest has previously said that if someone seriously has issues with Mike Toole's tweet, they can make a new thread there and he will make a post to address it. A lot of what I am seeing regarding other staff members' twitters is stuff that has already been addressed multiple times, but regardless, if you're serious about getting an answer, the feedback forum would be the proper place for it. Complaints about tweets by ANN staff remain off topic.

- As always, victim blaming is not allowed. And yes, it is possible to victim blame even in cases where someone has not been proven guilty in a court of law, through hypotheticals, generalizations, and other comments.

- Remember that the ANN rules encourage respectful debate. It's understandable when dealing with extremely heated subjects like this, that sometimes posters will get heated, but that doesn't mean that the ANN forum rule "don't be a jerk" no longer applies here.

- If you have a post deleted for violating any of the rules, making essentially the exact same post again, or posting simply to complain about your post being deleted, or making essentially same exact post again while ALSO throwing in a complaint about your post being deleted, is not the proper response. Doing this will simply result in your posts being deleted once more and could get you put on moderation.

- Please try to save us moderators some work, and avoid replying to (and especially quoting) posts that clearly violate the rules. I understand how frustrating it is sometimes to see outrageous things stated, how there is a desire to try and counter it, but oftentimes this just means that we'll have to delete your post as well when we clean out the thread, and it makes more work for us. And these threads are quite enough work already.

Thank you.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I take allegations from a named person with more weight than anonymous allegations that are posted on social media. I consider anonymous allegations to be worthless especially since there are online groups that exist to get people fired for ideological reasons. With this article I can at least get a sense of whether there might be something to this allegation.

SWAnimefan wrote:
The way tension is mounting in the community, I think we might be seeing a class action lawsuit against Vic real soon.
A class action lawsuit? There have been no police reports filed from the two people that have publicly made allegations while the anonymous allegations wouldn't be allowed in a court of law.
Junko666

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

[b]- If you have a post deleted for violating any of the rules,

Then let me ask you this. What do we do, If we feel that our post was unfairly deleted and it hadn't violated any of the rules? You may be moderators but you aren't perfect. You're bound to make mistakes from time-to-time.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm not seeing how Jamie Marchi's work history has anything to do with her experience with Vic.

Last edited by ranran-001 on Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sethimothy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A class action lawsuit? There have been no police reports filed from the two people that have publicly made allegations while the anonymous allegations wouldn't be allowed in a court of law.

More accurately, those who made these accusations behind an online pseudonym would be expected to give them again, but in person. It could be absolutely possible... but to what end?
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Junko666 wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:

[b]- If you have a post deleted for violating any of the rules,

Then let me ask you this. What do we do, If we feel that our post was unfairly deleted and it hadn't violated any of the rules? You may be moderators but you aren't perfect. You're bound to make mistakes from time-to-time.

This is again off topic, but I'm gonna leave it up rather than deleting and responding privately, so that other posters can see the response.

If you have issues with a moderator action, you can always DM a moderator to ask questions or express concerns. Please note, we're volunteers with busy schedules, so you may not get an immediate response, but we will try to get back to. You may still not agree with our decisions though.

Alternately, you can DM one of the admins (Zac and Tempest). We also have a feedback forum on ANN, and it was originally for feedback more specifically on editorial, it's also kind of become a de facto place for feedback on moderation. (I've used it myself for that in the past).

Side note, deleted a couple posts that quoted another deleted post, in case anyone is wondering why they vanished.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:24 am Reply with quote
I feel sorry for ANN for what they've been going through for the past few days.
They're just trying to do their jobs as journalists. Crying or Very sad
Phraze

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:44 am Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
Pulled hair and rude comments.

If people think this is a valid reason to destroy someone's livelihood over, then I just don't know what to say.

This is a grade school playground level of 'offense,' if you can call it that.

Roughhousing being normalized is an issue..

Anyways.
Sounds like Mignogna has something of a dual personality. Extreme on one side is likely to be extreme on the other (the affection in hugs). I prefer people with mild personalities. More balance.
Marchi's story feels.. Loaded with negative emotions. I'll tread carefully on judgement here.

Didn't know there were posts explaining timing of the news. Less worries for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10