• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Rosario + Vampire Dub VA Jamie Marchi Alleges Mignogna Grabbed, Pulled Her Hair

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kakegurui

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:46 am Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
I feel sorry for ANN for what they've been going through for the past few days.
They're just trying to do their jobs as journalists. Crying or Very sad

Most of us appreciate ANN for their hard work. It's only a few outspoken (and bad manner) Vic fans trying to stir up things. I feel like they are trying to change the subject. Trying to stir the conversation away from Vic's sexual harassment into some kind of agenda or trying to blame the victims.

I believe Jamie and the other victims who have come forward. They are very brave.
HeWhoSlapsAll

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:47 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
To all the people defending Vic, try to consider THIS before you do so:

https://twitter.com/vicmignogna/status/1094013989653237762

That's right. The person you're trying to defend by instead attacking others, is instead defending those other people from people like you. And let's be honest - any sane person would agree with him in this instance.

What's your point? He's saying not to attack and threaten others to defend him. Makes sense. That is in no way saying "don't defend me". He's saying to show tact and maturity in doing so.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:14 am Reply with quote
HeWhoSlapsAll wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
To all the people defending Vic, try to consider THIS before you do so:

https://twitter.com/vicmignogna/status/1094013989653237762

That's right. The person you're trying to defend by instead attacking others, is instead defending those other people from people like you. And let's be honest - any sane person would agree with him in this instance.

What's your point? He's saying not to attack and threaten others to defend him. Makes sense. That is in no way saying "don't defend me". He's saying to show tact and maturity in doing so.

My point is that people shouldn't confront or attack other people in order to defend Vic, if that's what they're going to do. They're only making the situation more volatile that way. Essentially, my point is what you described.
Mirvana

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:37 am Reply with quote
Phraze wrote:
Anyways.
Sounds like Mignogna has something of a dual personality. Extreme on one side is likely to be extreme on the other (the affection in hugs). I prefer people with mild personalities. More balance.

I think it's less of a dual personality so much as just fame going to his head combined with "getting away with it" for so long (even if nothing happened above a "whoa dude, not cool, avoid doing that" level [and lets be clear, I believe things went WAY past this]). When you feel invincible and/or untouchable, you stop checking your actions' consequences because they often won't make their way back to you. It's just that now they are making it back around, and hopefully the proper solution to his behaviour is found.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:35 am Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
Pulled hair and rude comments.

If people think this is a valid reason to destroy someone's livelihood over, then I just don't know what to say.

This is a grade school playground level of 'offense,' if you can call it that.

While I see your point about not destroying a career, I would think an adult should know better than to do something a grade-schooler would do.
LightningZangetsu27

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:47 am Reply with quote
Can't defend this kind of behaviour if proven guilty. Will defend the dubbed characters he voiced as the artist can be separated from the person
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:10 am Reply with quote
LightningZangetsu27 wrote:
Can't defend this kind of behaviour if proven guilty. Will defend the dubbed characters he voiced as the artist can be separated from the person

Agreed. FMA is still my favorite anime and that won't change since it has nothing to do with his performance, but in the same way, enjoying his performances doesn't mean overlooking personal behavior.
Mirvana

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:44 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Agreed. FMA is still my favorite anime and that won't change since it has nothing to do with his performance, but in the same way, enjoying his performances doesn't mean overlooking personal behavior.

If anything this is what some on both sides need to hear. Vic is not his characters. Enjoying FMA or Ouran or Free! before you heard of anything he'd done does not mean that you somehow support or condone his behavior. You are not guilty by association because you were inspired or moved by a series he happened to be in. You are not defending Edward Elric, or Tamaki, or Broly by standing with him. You're defending a man with some very serious baggage tied to his name.

Maybe Vic gets his shit together and never has another incident in the future. Maybe he eats a big-ole slice of humble pie and realizes even if he didn't mean something maliciously, it still crossed a line. Time will tell, but either way, a few months out of work is probably a a good start for some self-reflection, even if nothing goes beyond the Court of Public Opinion.

And just to be clear even without the touchy-feely allegations, Vic very much does act like a massive prick to constaff and others in the industry. Those alone would have lost him a lot of invites/roles if he were a lesser-known actor.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
He was the most popular voice actor on the convention circuit. Everyone treated him with kid gloves because he was the one and only Vic Mignogna. Who was I? A nobody in comparison.
You are higher on Behind the Voice Actors than him.
Bebop56210

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:51 am Reply with quote
I wonder if funimation has/had security cams in this "lobby" and if they archived footage from whenever this would've happened. Should be easy enough to prove or disprove this that way.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:05 am Reply with quote
Bebop56210 wrote:
I wonder if funimation has/had security cams in this "lobby" and if they archived footage from whenever this would've happened. Should be easy enough to prove or disprove this that way.

Not so simple. This incident is said to have happened years ago, so I imagine there's a fair chance if they did have the footage it wouldn't still be saved. And even if they did, and managed to find the footage from this day, the cameras might not have a good angle to get a clear picture of the event, there might be periods where both were off camera, and I'm pretty sure most security cameras don't have audio and wouldn't have recorded what he said.

And even if by some freakish chance the camera footage did still exist, had a perfect angle, the footage was high resolution, and the camera recorded audio and managed to perfectly pick up what Vic said, and it turned out it was sexual in nature, some folks would still defend it, insist it's not that bad, speculate that maybe Jamie did something before off camera to invite it, and so forth.
nargun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:13 am Reply with quote
Mirvana wrote:
I think it's less of a dual personality so much as just fame going to his head combined with "getting away with it" for so long (even if nothing happened above a "whoa dude, not cool, avoid doing that" level [and lets be clear, I believe things went WAY past this]). When you feel invincible and/or untouchable, you stop checking your actions' consequences because they often won't make their way back to you. It's just that now they are making it back around, and hopefully the proper solution to his behaviour is found.

"Suck up, punch down" isn't a dual personality, it's just a shitty one.
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:39 am Reply with quote
the frenzy to move the goal posts regarding vic's behaviour is honestly really disgusting. every time another victim steps forward with an accusation, i see more people downplaying and dismissing it. like, it's wild to me the amount of people I've seen going OH WELL HE JUST PULLED HER HAIR as if having your hair yanked that hard, so close to your scalp isn't 1) incredibly painful 2) incredibly difficult to get away from, especially if the other person is stronger than you, without causing yourself a great deal more pain 3) literally classed as assault???

all i can hope is that this movement against this kind of behaviour in our community keeps up its momentum and we manage to make it a safer place for people overall.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:52 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Quote:
He was the most popular voice actor on the convention circuit. Everyone treated him with kid gloves because he was the one and only Vic Mignogna. Who was I? A nobody in comparison.
You are higher on Behind the Voice Actors than him.

Yeah because that's a quantifiable metric.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:46 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
You know, after three threads on Vic related topics, there was a part of me, a small naive part, that hoped this thread wouldn't blow up and result in a bunch of deleted posts like last time. Seems I was wrong.

As they say, there's no shortage of idiots on the Internet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10