• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Times Evolution Went Horribly Wrong [2019-02-09]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:20 am Reply with quote
Looking at the title, From the New World would be a nice fit for this list. It is basically about how the new psychic powers of the humans affect themselves and others. Including horribly mutated species.

Land of the Lustrous hints at serious issues too, but hey, the crystals still live very long lives.
Girl's Last Tour: you could read it like the current human species is essentially evolution gone wrong.
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:30 am Reply with quote
Kirito/Asuna and Renton/Eureka has got my vote.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:01 am Reply with quote
Do most of them actually count as evolution since, as far as I can tell, were all artificially engineered instead of occurring naturally.

The Newtypes of the original Gundam series and the psychic powers of the humans in From the New World are two examples of evolution from a purely natural sense.
Heishi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:04 am Reply with quote
Elfen Lied, Gundam SEED, and Eva were pretty obvious ones.

I wish Friender was a little bit higher on the list.

As for ideal couples, I chose none of them. I feel like an ideal couple for me would be a heroic female(preferably tall and muscular) and her damsel and feminine like male. I know of no such couple, sadly. Especially since I can't imagine how people would react to such a concept.
Because I noticed a few canon and non-canon yuri couples, I decided I should go with my gut and put in Himeko and Chikane instead, since I did wanted them to be represented as a couple that I feel is ideal, yuri wise, and in celebration of KnM's 15th anniversary.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:20 am Reply with quote
My vote was for Mechazawa--I mean really, spoiler[ a robot that doesn't even know he's a robot, and most of the (brain-dead) student body equally oblivious to the fact?]

As for the couples, Issac and Miria was the only one that really stood out for me. Talk about two people utterly meant for each other. Cool
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:34 am Reply with quote
I am also pleased as can be to find The DevilLady topping The List and to hear that it's getting a blu-ray release in Japan. I also hope it gets one here as it's my favorite horror anime(or maybe second, I really should have it fight Hellsing Ultimate to see who comes out on top). I am not a horror anime person but I really like the series which is somewhat less despair-filled than others.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:26 am Reply with quote
For anyone missing your favorite recent example, this is actually a repost from 2015: animenewsnetwork.com/the-list/2015-11-28/.95729
Zetabag

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:16 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
How did coordinator go horrible wrong? Everything went super fine, they made people way better at everything and since it's something that can be done to kid within one or two generation you could have the entire human race coordinator, eliminating the problem entirely. Sure it's a rough patch in the show, but in the future things will be way better.

IIRC, Coordinators are having trouble having babies with one another due to some flaw in their genetic modification. It's gotten so bad that unless two people are compatible with each other the government won't let them stay together.
WingKing

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
As for ideal couples, I chose none of them. I feel like an ideal couple for me would be a heroic female(preferably tall and muscular) and her damsel and feminine like male. I know of no such couple, sadly. Especially since I can't imagine how people would react to such a concept.

Hmmm, yeah I see what you mean. The closest approximation to that kind of couple that I can think of is Clare and Raki from Claymore, where at the beginning of the story she saves his life and he ends up tagging along as her cook and helper of sorts (and was predictably bashed by fans, especially anime-only fans, for being weak and useless). He does eventually grow into a capable fighter himself in the manga (though even then she still far surpasses him, since he's only a normal human), but his key role in the series is being her emotional support, and an anchor that keeps her from losing touch with her humanity - something that would be a traditionally "feminine" role in those kind of fantasy stories.
Heishi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:24 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
Heishi wrote:

Hmmm, yeah I see what you mean. The closest approximation to that kind of couple that I can think of is Clare and Raki from Claymore, where at the beginning of the story she saves his life and he ends up tagging along as her cook and helper of sorts (and was predictably bashed by fans, especially anime-only fans, for being weak and useless). He does eventually grow into a capable fighter himself in the manga (though even then she still far surpasses him, since he's only a normal human), but his key role in the series is being her emotional support, and an anchor that keeps her from losing touch with her humanity - something that would be a traditionally "feminine" role in those kind of fantasy stories.

I just wish people were more accepting of male characters who aren't very manly as far as personalities go.
If I were to make a male damsel somewhat "useful", I'd make him a mage where all he needs to do is use a book to cast spells or maybe he can sing songs to cast magic, or have animal friends to help guide him if he is ever in trouble.
But I'd like a more traditional damsel, only it has to be male and he acts more like say Shouta from Miss Kobayashi or young Hinata from Naruto. Someone who is more...introverted.

But we currently live in an age where such concepts are deemed "too cliche" or offensive to traditional gender roles and people will cry "there's nothing wrong with being masculine", as if that was ever a taboo thing to be. What about "there's nothing wrong with being feminine"?
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:37 pm Reply with quote
It does when the technology used leads to wars, hate crimes and premature deaths due to not fully understanding the impacts of manipulating genes.[/quote]

You heard it here folks. Don't do something if it will lead to hate crimes. Damn the possible perfect organisms and society that may get developed due to improving humanity.
It's better to improve in ways that will lead to improvements without people doing hate crimes or violence of any kind...I have to wonder what kind of method that would be...
TexZero

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Animorphimagi wrote:

You heard it here folks. Don't do something if it will lead to hate crimes. Damn the possible perfect organisms and society that may get developed due to improving humanity.
It's better to improve in ways that will lead to improvements without people doing hate crimes or violence of any kind...I have to wonder what kind of method that would be...

Coordinators weren't perfect. Perhaps you know watching the show and understanding the message would do you some good.

They were superior in certain elements, but those elements caused rifts in society that led to various things like xenophobia (Blue Cosmos). Also, the progress at all cost led to scrupulous scientific advancement at best. The artificial womb as an example caused many kids to die in infancy, as well as being born less than what was intended.

But you know take part of the message and ignore the rest. You know the war, hate crimes and premature deaths. Not just one all of this was a cost of the "precious" science you think was so great.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:00 pm Reply with quote
This list should have been called "when scientists almost became the cause of the world's end and the Third World War", lol.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:09 pm Reply with quote
@Heishi Personally, I do not understand why people are so obsessed with the "problem" of a manly man-womanly woman. Hell, the most popular pairing of 2016 was SubaRem, where the girl was the muscle of a relationship. Or the recent Darling, literally extolling the dominant tomboy love interest. People who continue to fight this stereotype are also as old as it, so even if we take into account that such dynamics remain popular, it is not the only possible one in the modern anime industry.

In any case, I personally believe that every relationship is unique and distinctive, we shouldn't try to find "the only truly correct form of relationship".
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:45 am Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
Animorphimagi wrote:

Coordinators weren't perfect. Perhaps you know watching the show and understanding the message would do you some good.

They were superior in certain elements, but those elements caused rifts in society that led to various things like xenophobia (Blue Cosmos). Also, the progress at all cost led to scrupulous scientific advancement at best. The artificial womb as an example caused many kids to die in infancy, as well as being born less than what was intended.

But you know take part of the message and ignore the rest. You know the war, hate crimes and premature deaths. Not just one all of this was a cost of the "precious" science you think was so great.

The point is that there are risks when it comes to improving mankind or technology and not taking those risks will improve nothing. Condemn the morality of scientists all you want, it's not their fault if people won't accept a possible improvement in the world.
And when it comes to the methods at achieving those improvements, no one will remember/care about some atrocity that was used to achieve greater knowledge or understanding. That's how Nazi research led to large medical, chemical, and psychological advancements beyond what was expected or achieved ever before.

Believe it or not, people will always die for scientific advancements, either due to long decades or centuries of little to no advancements, or due to extreme experimentation to achieve results quicker.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3