• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Brains In A Jar

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:17 am Reply with quote
Watched the movie...It's going to be a hit.

Though:Connelly is wasted,they replace the cat with a daughter,Yugo & Alita is too rote and motorball comes off as pod racing.
PonSquared

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:30 am Reply with quote
Can you please find a host who doesn't say "like" three times in each of his sentences?

What am I paying a subscription for?

Unlistenable.
gedata

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Well now I do feel a bit more confident about the movie as someone who considers BAA their favorite manga (yes even considering Last Order).

PonSquared wrote:
Can you please find a host who doesn't say "like" three times in each of his sentences?

What am I paying a subscription for?

Unlistenable.

Meh, it's something I've learned to filter mentally over time.
rtil

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:09 pm Reply with quote
i don't have any plans to see the movie but i'm surprised how optimistic people are about the film and wanting it to succeed. it's in the hands of the movie businesses' biggest shlock - do we really want the hollywoodization of anime? japan looks to the west for trends more than we think. just look at how popular marvel and disney has become there. it can influence anime in a negative way. i think there's something disturbing about encouraging people to go see a james cameron production based off a manga that he clearly took in a different direction to broaden appeal.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:01 pm Reply with quote
^Japan has always been influenced by the west since the days of Astro Boy. The whole big eye small mouth style was influenced strongly by Disney and Mickey Mouse. Many popular classic sci-fi anime like Bugglegum Crisis and GITS and Cowboy Bebop are directly influenced by Western culture.
rtil

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:14 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
^Japan has always been influenced by the west since the days of Astro Boy. The whole big eye small mouth style was influenced strongly by Disney and Mickey Mouse. Many popular classic sci-fi anime like Bugglegum Crisis and GITS and Cowboy Bebop are directly influenced by Western culture.

astro boy was 70 years ago. things are different now - a lot different. the american 2d animation industry is as good as dead compared to japan. it's the west that borrow from anime now. quite heavily, actually - and for good reason. anime has evolved so far beyond its roots it's just absurd to hearken back to them as if nothing has changed. the disney of today is nothing like the disney of the mid-20th century, and the same goes for toei, mushi pro, et al and their offspring.

that there are elements of western culture in anime have little to do with the hollywoodization of media and entertainment. anime is still largely a creatively-driven industry, it exists within a bubble that has a greatly diverse audience. hollywood films are designed for one thing - mass appeal and ticket sale volume. and i'm not saying the anime industry isn't profit-driven, but it does warrant some protection from what's happened to the american entertainment industry. just look at what happened to disney after walt died - michael eisner, a businessman with no understanding, knowledge or appreciation for animation, almost single-handedly destroyed the creative empire walt built. the creative underbelly of disney was completely hollowed out by his board and left thousands of talented animators unemployed after they gave their careers and lives for disney's last golden age. and now 2d animation in the west is dead.

a future like this for japan is not far off if american suits begin to get their fingers into the animation industry.
Levonr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:44 am Reply with quote
rtil wrote:
i think there's something disturbing about encouraging people to go see a james cameron production based off a manga that he clearly took in a different direction to broaden appeal.

Ouch, even when there's finally an accurate manga to American live action people complain. From reaction I'm hearing its not a different direction to broaden appeal, in fact if you listen to this podcast they talk about how weird it is and that its for a specific type of audience. They even say "it sticks to the story and its not marketable". Listen to it.

I'm not optimistic the movie will sell well, very possible it could bomb. However I am optimistic I will like it. A movie bombing at the box office doesn't mean it bad, Blade Runner 2049 was great.
rtil

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
rtil wrote:
i think there's something disturbing about encouraging people to go see a james cameron production based off a manga that he clearly took in a different direction to broaden appeal.

Ouch, even when there's finally an accurate manga to American live action people complain. From reaction I'm hearing its not a different direction to broaden appeal, in fact if you listen to this podcast they talk about how weird it is and that its for a specific type of audience. They even say "it sticks to the story and its not marketable". Listen to it.

I'm not optimistic the movie will sell well, very possible it could bomb. However I am optimistic I will like it. A movie bombing at the box office doesn't mean it bad, Blade Runner 2049 was great.

depends on your definition of 'accurate' when it's painfully clear that a lot of the source material was changed or removed to fit a western film. i guess the bar is pretty low after things like netflix death note and dragonball evolution?

james cameron might love BAA but he also loves money - he's not going to dump money into a film he doesn't think anyone is going to see. is it hard to market? yeah. but he got people to spend almost $3bn to watch dances with wolves in space with blue aliens. and they're marketing BAA, too. will it find its audience? maybe. but it's not exactly getting the critical praise that Avatar did - and maybe that's because it's just not a good movie. 55/100 on metacritic, 6/10 on RT... not that i think critics are right all the time (they loved Avatar and i almost walked out of the theater), but Robert Rodriguez has never made a good movie and the writers have some pretty awful credits to their name as well. it was kind of doomed from the start - especially after Cameron dedicated the rest of his life to Avatar sequels.
horseradish

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:09 pm Reply with quote

Last edited by horseradish on Mon May 04, 2020 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anime was a mistake

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I made an account just to say this, because it kind of upset me.
Saying that Wakka is a bad character, because he's a racist is very dismissive.
Equalling a character trait you dislike with the character themselves being "bad" is just wrongheaded, I'm sorry.
His racist attitude is clearly connected to the world he was raised in, and I think it's a bold choice to include such a thematic in a video game for teenagers.
Even if you are of the opinion that video games should not include divisive subject matter, FFX won't at any point portray his racism as a "good" character trait.
He even learns to get past this "hangup".
It's supposed to show that even not-so-nice-people are a victim of their upbringing, and how togetherness or even sheer exposure to other other ideas and human beings can change the deepest rooted assumptions.

I'd ideally like to read an elaboration on Zac's opinion on this matter.
Levonr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:14 pm Reply with quote
rtil wrote:

depends on your definition of 'accurate' when it's painfully clear that a lot of the source material was changed or removed to fit a western film. i guess the bar is pretty low after things like netflix death note and dragonball evolution?

Yet you give no examples of these painfully clear changes to fit a western film. The big change was the location, from America to Panama because a space elevator only works near the equator. It was removed from America. What hollywoodization Rolling Eyes.
rtil

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:04 am Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
rtil wrote:

Yet you give no examples of these painfully clear changes to fit a western film. The big change was the location, from America to Panama because a space elevator only works near the equator. It was removed from America. What hollywoodization Rolling Eyes.

if you think that is the only change you either aren't paying attention or never read the manga.
Levonr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:57 am Reply with quote
rtil wrote:

if you think that is the only change you either aren't paying attention or never read the manga.

Well at this point I've said more about the changes than you, you've said nothing. What are the "painfully clear changes to fit a western film"?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
You're free to not have any interest in the live action Alita but if you don't even intend to see the movie, you're not really in a position to speak authoritatively on how good the movie is if you haven't seen it.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I saw the movie tonight and thought it was very faithful to the manga and anime. However, it felt like the kind of movie that would not appeal to mainstream audiences outside the fandom. spoiler[It was a very strange experience and came off as something of an acquired taste. The characterization felt uneven and the live actors kind of uncomfortable in their roles. Ido especially, mumbling at times. The actress who played Alita fit her like a glove, but the chemistry between her and Hugo felt off. The 1993 OAV came off as superior in regards to storytelling and connecting with the characters.

The scenery and action scenes were the best part. Alita was very well animated and composited. It was amazing seeing Kishiro's backgrounds come to life in realistic detail. The budget certainly helped what felt like a fan-movie at times.

Despite my criticisms, I'm glad I saw it after waiting 20 years to see how Cameron adapted it. Makes me want to read the rest of the manga beyond the movie's cliffhanger ending.]

Last edited by FLCLGainax on Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:23 pm; edited 3 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2