• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Alita: Battle Angel Film Earns US$32 Million in Asia, UK

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:31 am Reply with quote
I hope it proves the tracking wrong and do much higher. It's unlikely, but I'm still rooting for the film to be succesful.
Remington Steele

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:49 am Reply with quote
ryanvamp wrote:
I hope it proves the tracking wrong and do much higher. It's unlikely, but I'm still rooting for the film to be succesful.

Same, I am hoping this movie does really well and shatters their expectations.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:58 am Reply with quote
Already hitting $32 million after just a few small market first weekends strikes me as a pretty good sign. I wouldn't be surprised if it does more than $100 million in China alone, and another $30+ in Japan. I don't know if it'll make a ton of money, but it should break even at the end of the day.
#alfrescoCR

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:49 am Reply with quote
32 million and the film wasn't even fully released. Sounds good.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:23 am Reply with quote
I hope this is a positive sign for the movie and Alita will actually do better than expected, especially after how badly the live action GITS movie did.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:02 am Reply with quote
I feel like there's no need to doubt the upcoming success. China and JPN will surely boost the tally. The worst this film will get is around thrice their budget.
shabu shabu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:33 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Already hitting $32 million after just a few small market first weekends strikes me as a pretty good sign. I wouldn't be surprised if it does more than $100 million in China alone, and another $30+ in Japan. I don't know if it'll make a ton of money, but it should break even at the end of the day.

There is no possibility of this movie making that amount of money in Japan.
Loveless100

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:29 am Reply with quote
I talked to my uncle in Hong Kong (not an anime fan) who saw Alita and he really enjoyed it. He said the action scenes were a lot of fun. So I'm more hopeful that this movie is better than we give it. At least, I think it's worth giving it a chance.
yuzumei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I saw the movie yesterday.

I must say that I enjoyed it.
They combined the OVAs, the first two Gunnm volumes
(Vol.1- Idos's, Alita's and the hunter-warrior introduction, Vol.2- Hugo's story) and a bit of the third (Motorball).
I thought that the big-eye issue will bother me but after a couple of minutes I got used to them and frankly she looked cute with them.

The main issues I found is that the movie feels overstuffed, but my biggest complain with the movie is Hugo and his portrait.
Hugo is not supposed to be the coolest kid in the block wearing leather jackets and a six pack. Their romance felt forced and quite sappy.
Hugo replaced Ido in some scenes with Alita that in the manga and OVA were supposed to be Ido's.

But if you overlook the issues you will be highly entertained. Rosa Salazar is great as Alita and like everybody keep saying the fx the action sequences and the world are very very good. You can see that the producers and director put a lot of heart into the film.
Nilrem

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I would love the movie to be succesful enough for sequels, I went to see it on Thursday with family, one of whom had seen the anime years ago, two who hadn't got a clue what we were going to see other than it was sci-fi based on an anime their uncle (myself) liked and had been waiting to see the film for years, and one who was sceptical and hadn't even seen the anime.

We all came out wanting to see more having thoroughly enjoyed it, something I've seen repeated on various forums from people who aren't even anime fans, unfortunately it seems that it's not exactly getting a lot of active marketing over here in the UK (at least that I've seen), and the trailer has been putting some people off :/

Basically those that have seen it and written about it on various forums with film threads seem to have enjoyed it enough to want more even knowing nothing of the source material, but it may not be getting people through the door because at least one of the trailers was off putting and it's not a well known name.

I'm hoping it does well in wide distribution in Asia.
nDroae

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:54 pm Reply with quote
yuzumei wrote:
The main issues I found is that the movie feels overstuffed, but my biggest complain with the movie is Hugo and his portrait.
Hugo is not supposed to be the coolest kid in the block wearing leather jackets and a six pack. Their romance felt forced and quite sappy.

Eh, in that case I'll just imagine it's a combination Hugo + Figure Four. Razz

In the US, I figure the best that can be hoped for is strong word of mouth. Look at how Gravity played over its first month:
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=gravity.htm

Compared to most movies, for example anime-inspired underdog Pacific Rim:
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=pacificrim.htm

But Gravity had virally explosive positive word of mouth. Second and third weekend drops that small may be unattainable here.

I'd like to avoid this obvious comparison because it's slightly depressing, but it's worth mentioning that though Cameron's Avatar didn't have a very good opening weekend, it won in the long term by becoming a pop culture phenomenon.
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=avatar.htm

tl;dr even if it opens badly like Pacific Rim in the US, it won't necessarily end up that bad, if it plays well to the general audiences who do see it.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:52 am Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
I feel like there's no need to doubt the upcoming success. China and JPN will surely boost the tally. The worst this film will get is around thrice their budget.

That would be $450M to $600M. That seems a bit unrealistic for the potential bottom end of its earning. That's almost saying that at worst, Alita will be one of the top 10 grossing films of the year worldwide. Certainly not impossible but I'd put $600M closer to "the best this film will get" than "the worst this film will get".[/list]
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:53 am Reply with quote
‘Alita: Battle Angel’ Leading Valentine’s Day B.O. With $8M+ & Presidents Day Frame With $37M

Early PostTrak for the film was three-and-half-stars with general audiences repping 88%, kids 7% and parents 5%. In the first night of Alita, males over 25 were the biggest quad at 43% and they loved the sci-fi femme action pic the most at 86%.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:30 pm Reply with quote
An $8 to 9 million "opening day" (which is one of those sleight-of-hand "opening days" that's actually 2 days because they lumped in the Wednesday "previews" into Thursday's number) isn't an outright bomb but it's still very soft for a movie with a $200 million budget.

Last year's big February movie, Black Panther, earned $25.2 million from its Thursday "preview" screenings alone and $50.6 million on its official opening day, for a combined domestic Thursday-Friday "opening day" total of $75.8 million, although, yes, Black Panther is a Marvel Cinematic Universe film and, as such, had a massive built-in audience that GUNMN/Battle Angel Alita lacks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Just saw it and I liked it a lot, but this is a weird James Cameron passion project and probably won't penetrate normal audiences. Films like these almost never do, Blade Runner 2049 being a good recent example. I kind of wish they had just gone for the hard R and let all of the violence use red blood, and I hope Cameron can funnel his Avatar slush fund into a sequel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1