• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Will Not Engage Vic Mignogna on Future Productions

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuzOx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I have a question... what happens if he is innocent?
Let me make it more clear, english is not my first language.

What would happen if after all of the investigations he turns out to be innocent? Would Funanimation rehire him, or his carreer would be destroyed by false allegations?

I wonder what happens with the lives of men that are accused falsely. There was this case in Argentina, where a teenager killed himself because even though he did nothing to the girl and was proven innocent, his life was already ruined.
DoctorGara

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I'll be honest here:
I never watched Full Metal Alchemist because of his name being tied to the series main character.

I disliked him since years, years ago so much he effectively ruined my enjoyment of a series.

Thank GOODNESS he's gone, looks like there is some Justice left in this world after all Exclamation
ranran-001

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:42 pm Reply with quote
GoddyNee wrote:
Well...that's that then. I'm sure some Evangelical company will pick him up somewhere.

In one of the anime panels on youtube, Vic said that he was kicked out of a church he went to for years, he suggested that it was due to playing Edward Elrich because the character rejects the existence of a god.

But I kind of doubt that now. There is probably more to that story that we won't hear for awhile.
LuzOx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:44 pm Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:
GoddyNee wrote:
Well...that's that then. I'm sure some Evangelical company will pick him up somewhere.

In one of the anime panels on youtube, Vic said that he was kicked out of a church he went to for years, he suggested that it was due to playing Edward Elrich because the character rejects the existence of a god.

But I kind of doubt that now. There is probably more to that story that we won't hear for awhile.

LOL I belive that
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm personally gonna refrain from voicing my opinions on Vic at the moment. But I definitely do not condone his actions at all. There's wanting to give fans attention, and then there's overstepping physical boundaries. Honestly, I'm more concerned about all the hate that poor Monica Rial's been getting. People are being really cruel to her on her Twitter when she came forward with her experiences (or what she's comfortable with or allowed to share at the moment), and the comments are REALLY nasty and horrific. Some are claiming she's deliberately playing the victim and calling her a monster and all sorts of awful stuff. She really doesn't deserve all the hate she's been getting. No one does. Seriously, those people need to back off.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:51 pm Reply with quote
DoctorGara wrote:
I'll be honest here:
I never watched Full Metal Alchemist because of his name being tied to the series main character.

You know, you can watch the Japanese version. I mean, if you don't have problems with subtitles. Romi Paku and Rie Kugimiya are both excellent as the Elric brothers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
7jaws7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Mod Edit - removed quote of a deleted post - Maya

Or maybe he just wasn’t able to do something as easy as keeping his hands to himself this whole time.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:53 pm Reply with quote
If you're not on the jury convicting him, no, you don't need "corroborating evidence." The victims don't owe you, or any other random Internet person, anything.

As for the idea that "anyone can say anything online and someone's life will be ruined!" I'm not sure what anime forums you've been hanging out on because fans have been sharing stories like this about Vic for well over a decade, including on these very forums. And nothing happened. It's only when credible, detailed ones came out and there was a pattern of behavior among the allegations, that Funimation decided to pull the plug.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ashabel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:58 pm Reply with quote
#874695 wrote:
I have a question... what happens if he is innocent?
Let me make it more clear, english is not my first language.

What would happen if after all of the investigations he turns out to be innocent? Would Funanimation rehire him, or his carreer would be destroyed by false allegations?

I wonder what happens with the lives of men that are accused falsely. There was this case in Argentina, where a teenager killed himself because even though he did nothing to the girl and was proven innocent, his life was already ruined.

Speaking as someone who was accused of stalking and sexual harassment by someone in an online RP community and then peer pressured into not sharing my story openly, I picked up the pieces and moved on. I'm still engaged in that RP community and have been doing fine, since there are a lot of trustworthy people who believed me. Meanwhile the person who spread rumors about me has more followers in theory, but is known for drama following her wherever she goes.

One of the key things to understand about false accusations versus true ones is that false accusations always have a singular source that can be relatively easily traced, as well as very clear benefit for said source. That is why historically false accusations have an incredibly low 3% rate of succeeding in the court of law. Their pattern of behavior is so fundamentally different from an honest testimony about sexual assault that it's pretty much impossible to not notice it.

Meanwhile, allegations against Vic have no unified pattern at all. They span a timeline of almost twenty years and come from numerous sources that are both disconnected from each other and have nothing to gain from this. Yes, there are people who tried to claim a conspiracy, but those same people have been using rhetoric and tactics that identify them as connected to a certain movement that made for itself a goal to harass women out of the video game industry. So I would take them with a grain of salt.
Phraze

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I'll be honest, I think banning him is too extreme. Losing a few roles to show that consequences can happen was sufficient. Main thing was to keep him out of the reach of minors(?) But any smart company will quickly drop someone who is likely to enter court, so.. Kind of expected. Feel sorry for the guy.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Junko666 wrote:
Personally I feel that Funimation should have only suspended Vic not outright banned him until this whole issue has been resolved.

According to Funimation's statement, they've conducted an investigation. The issue has been resolved -- this is the resolution.
Aphasial
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Look, Funimation is a big, adult company in this space. One thing we all see lots of nowadays (and that I suspect many without too much first hand experience with this would have noticed) is social media outrage, followed by economic threats left and right. Boycotts and attempts to ruin lives happen for very good reasons (believed to have committed a horrible crime) and very bad reason (said something mean about someone on Twitter once). Navigating that can be tough for an outsider who's just trying to come to an understanding about this, and much worse for a company that has to make a decision about whether or not to respond to the rumors.

Regardless of the animosity going around at various VAs directly, it seems that *Funimation* was not under a huge amount of *direct*, hysterical demands to do something. That allowed it to take the time to conduct whatever internal discussion and investigation among its contractors as it felt it needed to. It came to this decision of its own accord, and that's definitely a health thing for this (or any other) industry.

No idea what's in Vic's future, but at the very least I hope those who've felt victimized can begin to heal, and he can take a long break to reflect on his actions while a celebrity over these years.
Mamo-chan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Funimation should have given him the boot years ago.
Does this mean other anime companies will do the same on current dubbing productions with him? I would assume so.

With that said, Vic should take up early retirement.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:05 pm Reply with quote
It absolutely sucks this has to happen though. He is a phenomenal voice actor and I hope other studios like Bang Zoom won't puss out and simply let him continue his awesome job. The damage is done, let's move on now. This situation could've been handled much better and far more peacefully, but alas, here we are.

#IStandWithVic

Last edited by thekingsdinner on Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Phraze wrote:
I'll be honest, I think banning him is too extreme. Losing a few roles to show that consequences can happen was sufficient. Main thing was to keep him out of the reach of minors(?) But any smart company will quickly drop someone who is likely to enter court, so.. Kind of expected. Feel sorry for the guy.

Thing is, from Funimation's perspective this isn't about punishment. They're not Vic's parents grounding him for cheating on a math test. They're responding to the incidents involving fans, yes, but almost certainly they chose to cut ties with him because of multiple public reports of him harassing/assaulting funimation employees or fellow contractors. If someone working at a grocery store were to do the same to a coworker, nobody would argue that they should just have their hours cut for a while and then let us all move on. They'd be fired.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 15