• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Will Not Engage Vic Mignogna on Future Productions

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I would like to take this opportunity to thank our wonderful moderator staff on here and the wonderful work that they do thanklessly behind the scenes. Good Luck! I'll try and treat some of you to a drink if we're ever at a con together! That is all.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I had no idea who he is or what he does (dubs and me don´t mix) but ho boi is his ANN profile impressive. He is even the titular antagonist in a 100 mil. $ movie. That´s the one that killed his career.
Sexually harassing anyone, specially underage girls, should hopefully lead to more than just getting blacklisted. Especially if the perpetrator categorically denies it all. What really surprised me was seeing that he does Christian & Gospel music when i look at his wiki! The joke writes itself, especially if he becomes born again after this. I wish that the jokes was funny though...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GoddyNee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:09 pm Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:
Post Removed

Serious Question: Not trying to troll you; seeing all of these people #StandWithVic has me wondering

What is it about this guy that makes you ride or die? I mean, there's better VAs that have been around as long or longer as Vic; take Crispin Freeman for example. He's voiced some pretty iconic characters, is a big(or was...I dunno if he still does cons. Does he?) figure in anime, isn't a bad looking guy and yet everyone loves him and says he's a truly nice guy who doesn't have an ego. Nor has he been accused by both congoers and industry professionals of inappropriate behavior.

Vic's always going to be iconic for Ed Elric alone but in the last few roles I've heard him in, he's dialed it in basically.( I'm not really a DBZ Fan so I dunno about Broly) but what gets me about this is how people are seriously out to get anyone that talks about crap about VM.

Last edited by GoddyNee on Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:16 pm Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
Ugh, I'll keep it short. Thankfully he's allowed to AT LEAST finish his role in Morose. I plan on watching the show, so I'll give Funi some credit for that.

He was already removed and replaced. It was reported on, like, a week ago.

Me, I'm glad to see him gone, regardless of the allegations regarding harassment of a sexual nature and such. He was a royal jackass, and I always cringed when I saw him on a con guest list that I'd be at, because I hated having to deal with him.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:21 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Thing is, from Funimation's perspective this isn't about punishment. They're not Vic's parents grounding him for cheating on a math test. They're responding to the incidents involving fans, yes, but almost certainly they chose to cut ties with him because of multiple public reports of him harassing/assaulting funimation employees or fellow contractors. If someone working at a grocery store were to do the same to a coworker, nobody would argue that they should just have their hours cut for a while and then let us all move on. They'd be fired.

That is the key detail right there. After all this has come out, if Funimation keeps employing Mignogna and he does anything out of line, Funimation will be the ones getting sued. This is why Fox finally had to get rid of O'Reilly, and why Google fired James Damore. Once a company is aware of something like this, they're liable for the misconduct.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Oh poor Vic who for years overstepped boundaries and didn't treat others with respect. Sorry, I just feel the people who feel sympathy for him outstanding because he's suffering consequences for his actions. Feel bad for the people he effected. Maybe he should have thought how it would hurt his career when he was still doing these things, but he didn't and the dam broke.
Sandstar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:24 pm Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
Ugh, I'll keep it short. Thankfully he's allowed to AT LEAST finish his role in Morose. I plan on watching the show, so I'll give Funi some credit for that.

It absolutely sucks this has to happen though. He is a phenomenal voice actor and I hope other studios like Bang Zoom won't puss out and simply let him continue his awesome job. The damage is done, let's move on now. This situation could've been handled much better and far more peacefully, but alas, here we are.

#IStandWithVic

Any words for his victims?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:25 pm Reply with quote
This isn't "he said, she said". That implies two parties. This is more like "he said, she and she and she and she and she and he and he and she and she and she said".

A pattern of conduct emerges. It's not one or two accusations. Maybe that isn't as good as say, video footage, but if that's your only standard of evidence, much wrongdoing will go unpunished. This is at least a decade of inappropriate behavior.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:30 pm Reply with quote
GoddyNee wrote:

Serious Question: Not trying to troll you; seeing all of these people #StandWithVic has me wondering

What is it about this guy that makes you ride or die? I mean, there's better VAs that have been around as long or longer as Vic; take Crispin Freeman for example. He's voiced some pretty iconic characters, is a big(or was...I dunno if he still does cons. Does he?) figure in anime, isn't a bad looking guy and yet everyone loves him and says he's a truly nice guy who doesn't have an ego. Nor has he been accused by both congoers and industry professionals of inappropriate behavior.

Vic's always going to be iconic for Ed Elric alone but in the last few roles I've heard him in, he's dialed it in basically.( I'm not really a DBZ Fan so I dunno about Broly) but what gets me about this is how people are seriously out to get anyone that talks about crap about VM.

Some people are just in denial. They're fans and they don't want to believe that the idea that they've created about this person could be tainted. My opinion is that if ten people come forward and only one of them is telling the truth, that's still one too many. I'm also of the opinion that if all of those girls were boys nobody would even be debating this.

Last edited by Romuska on Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:30 pm Reply with quote
And they finally drop the hammer. This should have happened a long time ago
Kovaelin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Wait... did ANN originally post photos that were censored by someone else to break the first story, or did they censor it themselves?
GoddyNee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
GoddyNee wrote:

Some people are just in denial. They're fans and they don't want to believe that the idea that they've created about this person could be tainted. My opinion is that if ten people come forward and only one of them is telling the truth, that's still one too many.

I admit I had my reservations at first; I mean, you can't get arrested for being a dick and even for groping teen fans..especially for over fifteen years.

But something's seriously up when you got all of these people...long time Funi VAs coming out and talking about how Vic messed with him or the diva behavior he's pulled.

And I'm not even joking when I say this: I am seriously scared for Funimation, ANN and the VAs that have spoken out. Especially Jamie Marchi and Monica Rial.

They effin' crazy on twitter over this. I bet if you met your hero VM in public he probably wouldn't even care.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I set my browser to only show news pieces when i open ANN to escape all the click bait and nonsense, so i didn´t see the interest piece that started it all. I also don´t follow the non-Japanese side of the industry, meaning that this news article is how i learned of this issue. I want to personally thank Lynzee for publishing that article and whoever else was involved. ANN might publish a lot of bullshit but not on that day. Thank you giving the victims a platform to reveal this predator. And good luck to the mods...

This account is especially worth reading:
https://twitter.com/MichellMcC73/status/1094729435583037440
It also pretty much answers why abuse victims almost never speak up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Phraze

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:39 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Phraze wrote:
I'll be honest, I think banning him is too extreme. Losing a few roles to show that consequences can happen was sufficient. Main thing was to keep him out of the reach of minors(?) But any smart company will quickly drop someone who is likely to enter court, so.. Kind of expected. Feel sorry for the guy.

Thing is, from Funimation's perspective this isn't about punishment. They're not Vic's parents grounding him for cheating on a math test. They're responding to the incidents involving fans, yes, but almost certainly they chose to cut ties with him because of multiple public reports of him harassing/assaulting funimation employees or fellow contractors. If someone working at a grocery store were to do the same to a coworker, nobody would argue that they should just have their hours cut for a while and then let us all move on. They'd be fired.

From my perspective, they're just cutting ties since he may enter court. Rumors stay rumors, but when you go to court for it, regardless if found innocent, you will be known as "the guy who has (10+ years) rumors enough to go to court". It's a generally messy reputation/stain nobody wants to associate with.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I was more than happy to give Vic the benefit of the doubt two weeks ago when the first article landed on the front page of ANN. At the time I thought perhaps this was just a guy that was too hands on with fans and perhaps sometimes dabbed on the side with consenting fans(assuming they were not minors).

But the recent developments, the recent allegations from people with names, starting with Jessie and now Jamie Marchi, and possible Monica Rial, that's three too many people.

What was left to discuss? Jamie Marchi said she was physically assaulted and sexually harassed by Vic, so did Jessie Pridemoore. Also, Monica Rial has yet to even talk about her encounter in public yet, but you can bet her statement was given to Funimation.

You shouldn't act so surprised that Vic got fired. I'd be more surprised if he came back six months from now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 15