• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Will Not Engage Vic Mignogna on Future Productions

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeWhoSlapsAll

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:35 pm Reply with quote
NickPenrhyn wrote:

Re-read the part of the tweet that mentioned an internal investigation.

That could mean anything.

How many stories have we heard of HR doing nothing, but saying they did, in order to avoid negative word getting out, for various reasons.

This isn't new news. Funimation knew they've been working with an egotistical prick for years.
Kistune_bride

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Funimation did the right thing BUT, I truly hope this means Vic won't be part of the convention circuit anymore. Or at least, no convention would put young attendees at risk by booking him as a guest.

At the end of the day, most of the people were very young teenagers who were taken advantage off. There are other talented voice over actors in the biz who AREN'T creeps so, I say goodbye to bad blood.

Now then, I want to see who they will recast for Rin in Free! 2020; I actually like the English dub but, I won't cry if someone else takes over sharkboy's voice.
NickPenrhyn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:48 pm Reply with quote
HeWhoSlapsAll wrote:
NickPenrhyn wrote:
Re-read the part of the tweet that mentioned an internal investigation.

That could mean anything.

How many stories have we heard of HR doing nothing, but saying they did, in order to avoid negative word getting out, for various reasons.

This isn't new news. Funimation knew they've been working with an egotistical prick for years.

I'll admit it doesn't tell us anything about what exactly they looked into (but come on, it's mostly pretty obvious) but the tweets themselves sure tells us that they took action ("will not engage Vic in future productions"). This was a specific rebuttal to overreactions about what happened.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I've said this already, but I hope to God that some of you never have this happen to someone you care about. Because it's become abundantly clear they wouldn't be able to rely on you for support.

Yep. I always think it's funny when people who always have 2349023 excuses and denials ready for any famous creep also mention that they never hear "whisper network" stories or other accounts of assault or abuse from people in their personal lives. Yeah, that's for a reason -- because the victims have seen you do this song and dance before and know you won't have their back, because you never do. So they don't tell you. They tell somebody else instead who has shown they might actually listen to them.

I'm a woman, and while I've never been the victim of rape or violent assault, I've been sexually harassed and creeped on and I think that's true to some degree for almost all women. If someone gives you the heebie-jeebies but you're not sure if it's strong enough for you to do anything, or if your reaction is fair, or whatever, you might want to go to a friend to ask them for advice. But when I see the people, and especially men, in my life making the kinds of excuses and victim-blaming and apologia some people have been giving Vic repeatedly in these threads, I just file them away automatically in my mind with "welp, I know I can't trust this guy" and then I'll never tell them anything like that. And chances are I won't go to them even if something truly heinous and criminal happens to me either, because I know they won't care about my fundamental well-being and feelings and what's good for me because they sure af didn't care about that when more "minor" stuff happened. Why would we do that when we have friends who actually have our backs?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HeWhoSlapsAll

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:57 pm Reply with quote
NickPenrhyn wrote:

I'll admit it doesn't tell us anything about what exactly they looked into (but come on, it's mostly pretty obvious) but the tweets themselves sure tells us that they took action ("will not engage Vic in future productions"). This was a specific rebuttal to overreactions about what happened.

They just say that for PR. Like I said, these VAs work for them, and the have connections to these Cons. They had to know of all of this for years. I very much doubt there was an investigation. They probably just fired Vic so that a VA doesn't release a story about how their HR department did nothing for years.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Discussion is stopped until some massive clean up can be done without the thread blowing up 2 or 3 more pages while clean up is done.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Kovaelin wrote:
Wait... did ANN originally post photos that were censored by someone else to break the first story, or did they censor it themselves?

I censored them myself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:00 pm Reply with quote
As everyone can tell pages of posts are now gone. Long story short they were either posts that continued behavior we've said to stop in every other Vic related thread, or responses to those posts that had no meaning with the offending posts removed.

By this point almost everyone in this discussion has seen the warnings already in the other Vic threads. So this is going to be said only once in this thread. We are not going to allow posts that:

-Go into victim blaming
-Try and continue more of the conspiracy theories
-Complain about twitter posts
-Directly insult users here
-Advocate violence against anyone (that goes for both sides)
-Try to downplay sexually or physically inappropriate conduct by implying that since it's not violent rape it doesn't matter, or by referring to victims of it as "victims" in air quotes, or through any similar method.
-Go into discussion on other industry people who may or may not have similar articles on them soon for alleged behavior

If you post any of the above your post is going to be removed. If you keep at it, or have been doing it already in every Vic topic, you're going to wind up on moderation. If you see any of the above types of posts please JUST report them. Do not engage the people. All it does is put you in the cross hairs as well and make things worse. Now let's all keep this as respectful as possible please.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I'm curious if they will redo his lines for Broly on home video. I assume they will since they don't want it to affect sales. Plus, it would be better since they can keep things consistent if Broly is in Super later.

The first thing you see on the preorders page on their website shop is a banner of Broly with an April 16th release date. Its probably in replication by now, so a redub is likely too late at this point
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:17 pm Reply with quote
GoddyNee wrote:

I admit I had my reservations at first; I mean, you can't get arrested for being a dick and even for groping teen fans..especially for over fifteen years.

No, the latter actually is a crime if it's done without consent. If those people who spoke out against Vic weren't comfortable, then he should have been arrested.

I didn't know much about this Vic guy myself mostly, but I hope that if these allegations are true, whoever were affected by him are fine now and will recover.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Phraze wrote:
I'll be honest, I think banning him is too extreme. Losing a few roles to show that consequences can happen was sufficient. Main thing was to keep him out of the reach of minors(?) But any smart company will quickly drop someone who is likely to enter court, so.. Kind of expected. Feel sorry for the guy.

I don't know how you managed to type the bolded words and not realize how absolutely bonkers it would be for a company to keep employing a person known for sexual misconduct against MINORS
theNightster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:20 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
The way I see it, there are only two likely possibilities.

1. Vic overstepped his boundaries because he's far too naive, but should have known better as an adult and never corrected his behavior over the years.

2. Vic is a narcissist who thought he could get away with this forever while knowing it was wrong.

Either way, as a company, Funimation is well within their right to cut ties with someone so problematic. Vic should know better. Whether he's a monster or just a mess of a person, he dug his own grave. It'll be awkward hearing Broly as someone else, but it's possible Vic isn't TOTALLY out of the anime scene. Bang Zoom never released a statement, right?

as far as I know they haven't, and he's still voicing Rohan in Jojo's (that's probably because the recording could already have been finished for the entirety of part 4 but I don't know)
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:23 pm Reply with quote
A damn shame to see maybe in a few years he'll resurface again in the dubbing medium.
Kakegurui

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Thank you Funimation for doing the right thing!!!
theNightster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:29 pm Reply with quote
amazing how these same fan boys of Vic will call out Funimation or Rooster teath for "ruining his life" but they go ahead and make threats to Monica Rial and Jamie Marchi for coming forward about Vic or think that it's okay that they do shit like that to them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 15