• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: One Piece

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:33 am Reply with quote
You're saying that with prior knowledge, though. For a non-manga reader, which I happen to be, there's no indication that this won't send things in a completely new direction. How does such a person know that Luffy will immediately go back to fighting Katakuri? I think part of the issue is that you're couching everything in terms of the arc's endgame, instead of where we're at right now.

And really the only "reset" in the fight so far I can see is Katakuri regaining his composure and haki abilities. Which, yeah, that's a given, he's not going to be taken down with a simple Gear 4 punch.
Sam Leach

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
You're saying that with prior knowledge, though. For a non-manga reader, which I happen to be, there's no indication that this won't send things in a completely new direction. How does such a person know that Luffy will immediately go back to fighting Katakuri? I think part of the issue is that you're couching everything in terms of the arc's endgame, instead of where we're at right now.

And really the only "reset" in the fight so far I can see is Katakuri regaining his composure and haki abilities. Which, yeah, that's a given, he's not going to be taken down with a simple Gear 4 punch.

That's true! I remember being really excited by the Nuts Island development when I first saw it in the manga. Like "Oh, man, what if if Katakuri follows him here and he has to deal with BOTH enemies?!?!" But knowing the full scope of the story does impact how it makes me feel in retrospect, and that's just kind of what I've got to write to.

spoiler[Either it sets you up to be disappointed when Luffy heads back to the mirror world for Reasons, or you understand that the mirror world story is the important part and this detour is ill-advised, structurally.]
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I feel like Sam kind of missed a lot about Sanji's scene with Bege. Yes, there's definitely some of the "beat her the fun way!" shounen trope, but more than that, it cuts to the heart of Sanji's character. Sanji was raised to never turn away a hungry person, whether friend or enemy, and he takes great pride in his skills. There's no way he'd ever consent to his cooking being used to harm someone, even someone as vile as Big Mom. It was actually really cool to see such a big throwback to Baratie.

Also Carrot is the greatest character we've met in ages and I will absolutely goddamn riot if she doesn't wind up becoming a crew member. #notafurryiswear
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:58 pm Reply with quote
While I understand why Sam sees the unique animation styles as jarring, those unique flourishes of animation are what's keeping the anime from being a lifeless adaptation.
The directing in this episode wasn't anything special, so it's up to the key animators to make up for it.

I strongly agree with you on constant transitions back to Luffy vs Katakuri. It's really killing the weekly excitement for the fight when there's no real progression being made.
It feels like a higher-up over at Toei is telling the episode planner to show more Luffy vs Katakuri every episode or else no one will watch.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:02 pm Reply with quote
By far, the best animated episode in the anime. It was worth the wait to get to this episode.
I can't praise the animators who worked on this enough!
Alex_Sandy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:26 pm Reply with quote
So Luffy has been at this like 5 months now. It has to be some kind of a record Even Jinbe's excruciatingly dull tale of the fishmen in the fishman island arc didn't seem so long. It does make you really appreciate the break aways to Sanji and the rest ,though. I've almost forgotten the existence of Zoro and the rest of the crew. I realise now that they couldn't really include them or the Mom pirates would have had their freakshow asses kicked months ago.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Alex_Sandy wrote:
So Luffy has been at this like 5 months now. It has to be some kind of a record Even Jinbe's excruciatingly dull tale of the fishmen in the fishman island arc didn't seem so long. It does make you really appreciate the break aways to Sanji and the rest ,though. I've almost forgotten the existence of Zoro and the rest of the crew. I realise now that they couldn't really include them or the Mom pirates would have had their freakshow asses kicked months ago.

The crisis the crew is in would be more or less the same even if everyone was there. The nine of them can't take on an Emperor's crew alone.
Alex_Sandy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:51 am Reply with quote
MasterKingJC you really think the full crew couldn't win? I find your lack of faith disturbing.You're probably right though, Mom's kids are a strong bunch, and the story must go on. I do miss Zoro and the others, seems like it's been a year since he cut a building in two. Anyway on with Luffy's and mochi man's punch in the face contest.
Brack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:12 am Reply with quote
Alex_Sandy wrote:
So Luffy has been at this like 5 months now. It has to be some kind of record.

Franky fought Senor Pink for over a year in the anime. OCT 5 2014 to OCT 25 2015.
Alex_Sandy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:17 pm Reply with quote
A year!? I've completely forgotten. I'll have to go back and have look. I watch a lot of stuff so I guess my head is full and new stuff is just pushing the old stuff out now. Glad this one is winding down but there's still a helluva mess to get of. And what about Pudding's 3 eyed crying quite the gooey mess as well.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:05 pm Reply with quote
It's pretty interesting how people in the community have gone from despising Pudding to sympathizing with her in a relatively short amount of time.
Whether it was all fully well-executed or not, Oda succeeded in accomplishing what he wanted to do with her in this arc.
Mattman243

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:25 am Reply with quote
Just read the article, and I think Sam missed a key moment with Pekoms. Pekoms didn't stop himself, Sanji's hand was covering Luffy's face after they crashed into the roof. Pekoms closes in to finish them, Sanji's hand falls away, and Luffy's face is seen by Pekoms. This is the trigger that caused him to snap out of it for a second.

I believe it's supposed to show how much of an impact Luffy's made on him (and Pedro). Pedro gave his life for Luffy, and Pokoms realizes that he really does feel the same way.
laddy-chan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Pekomz is ded alright. I'd bet his liver (caz he no longer alive u get it -liver , live Wink I mean in the 1% chance that he is alive only the bad guys can save him, and he would have to be later rescued and all that shown in a future arc flashback sequence, which is probably more work than he deserves (especially since this ark has strong themes of individual weakness and failure, like Pekoms failing to stall here and Pedro not killing the enemy he sacrificed himself on.. even though collectively they will succeed at saving the straw hats, individually their power is barely enough for a cool scene)
sorry to be so negative but this is a pretty dark ark..
laddy-chan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Pekomz is ded alright. I'd bet his liver (caz he no longer alive u get it -liver , live Wink I mean in the 1% chance that he is alive only the bad guys can save him, and he would have to be later rescued and all that shown in a future arc flashback sequence, which is probably more work than he deserves (especially since this ark has strong themes of individual weakness and failure, like Pekoms failing to stall here and Pedro not killing the enemy he sacrificed himself on.. even though collectively they will succeed at saving the straw hats, individually their power is barely enough for a cool scene)
sorry to be so negative but this is a pretty dark ark..
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:54 am Reply with quote
MasterKingJC wrote:
It's pretty interesting how people in the community have gone from despising Pudding to sympathizing with her in a relatively short amount of time.
Whether it was all fully well-executed or not, Oda succeeded in accomplishing what he wanted to do with her in this arc.

its probably cause she is too much of a tsundere to be disliked!

then again, those two should have actually gotten married. it would have meant the end of his obxious perversions!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 36 of 49