• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Domestic Girlfriend is a Surprisingly Thoughtful Sleazefest

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, I didn't fully read the article to avoid spoilers, but this kinda sounds like a romance in the vein of School Days, White Album 1, Scum's Wish, etc aka my favorite type of relationship anime. I'll add this to my queue and hope it's up my alley.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Hmmm, I didn't fully read the article to avoid spoilers, but this kinda sounds like a romance in the vein of School Days, White Album 1, Scum's Wish, etc aka my favorite type of relationship anime. I'll add this to my queue and hope it's up my alley.

I understand why you make such comparisons, but in this case the difference is significant. Yes, Domestic is a similar over-the-top melodrama, but avoids the use of sex as the main tool of the plot and concentrates more on complex and "problematic" emotions. For example, if Makoto and Toya are openly portrayed as very bad role models for a young boys, and these guys are obviously responsible for most of the problems of girls in love with them, Natsuo is more likely to be a surrogate for young boys who read this manga and maybe also in love with more mature girls or trying to claim that they are already "mature men".

In fact, Domestic is a typical shonen / seinen romance written by a female author. So, if you like shoujo-ish romantic works for men with large doses of melodrama, erotica and psychology of relationships, then this show is sure to please you.
青白

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:47 pm Reply with quote
This show is very far away from scum's wish because it has much better animation and the characters doesn't monologue for a whole f**(*&ucking episode.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

Similar vein but unlike those shows, the characters in Domestic Girlfriend aren't all extremely awful people, doing terrible things. Some of the side characters are (like said teachers boyfriend) but the main leads are much more endearing than anyone from School Days or Scum's Wish. Thus, the whole show is much more tolerable! Which is great because I absolutely despised everything about School Days (the game is even worse), Scum's Wish (the manga is slightly better), White Album 1, and the end of White Album 2.
teferi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:00 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

I understand why you make such comparisons, but in this case the difference is significant. Yes, Domestic is a similar over-the-top melodrama, but avoids the use of sex as the main tool of the plot and concentrates more on complex and "problematic" emotions. For example, if Makoto and Toya are openly portrayed as very bad role models for a young boys, and these guys are obviously responsible for most of the problems of girls in love with them, Natsuo is more likely to be a surrogate for young boys who read this manga and maybe also in love with more mature girls or trying to claim that they are already "mature men".

In fact, Domestic is a typical shonen / seinen romance written by a female author. So, if you like shoujo-ish romantic works for men with large doses of melodrama, erotica and psychology of relationships, then this show is sure to please you.

Wut. The initial tensions are created by the fact that he did it with his stepsister. Most of the series is about the MC trying to keep it in his pants. The author might not devote many panels to the deed getting done but it's still very central to the plot.
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Hina's boyfriend is definitely stringing her along and clearly things are not going well in general, but I don't see how the "what about you personally? not what others around you think" is manipulative, or even bad. She's being pressured into breaking up with him by her sister and new stepbrother, and to be honest it really is none of their business. So he's making sure it's not just because she's being pressured into it by other people.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:17 pm Reply with quote
@teferi Physical attraction between characters and sex as an important topic are slightly different things. Compare Koi Kaze and Yosuga no Sora. Both shows focus on MC's sexual attraction to a sister, but while the first show uses it exclusively as a drama, the second develops the sex element to dark forbidden erotica. No matter what, it matters how.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
Hina's boyfriend is definitely stringing her along and clearly things are not going well in general, but I don't see how the "what about you personally? not what others around you think" is manipulative, or even bad. She's being pressured into breaking up with him by her sister and new stepbrother, and to be honest it really is none of their business. So he's making sure it's not just because she's being pressured into it by other people.

I think the key question is that he was not going to leave his wife. The emphasis on this becomes more noticeable after he embraces her, thereby diverting her attention through her feelings for him. Thus, we get manipulation through "keep believing that I will divorce my wife, you love me, don't you?"
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:

Either way she needed to break up with him. Beyond the fact that he's been basically keeping her on a leash for two years, the bigger question becomes: "If he's willing to cheat on his wife for you, what makes you think he won't cheat on you for another chick?" And what if she brought dude home? You know her mom isn't going for it giving her own past experience with her father when the situation is fully explained.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:

The two keys to the scene are
1- that he says this right after he pretends the problem was the food being ruined, straight up dismissing the emotions involved as unimportant
and
2- Earlier when Natsuo confronted Hina as to why she was making bad decisions she asks "Have you ever been held by the one you like?"
Shuu knows exactly what he's doing. It's standard abusive behavior to manipulate their partner into thinking they're making decisions for themselves while alienating them from anyone else they care about. Yes, Natsuo and Rui are children, but at that moment Hina is worried about them as children, not as a threat to the relationship, and Shuu tries to get her to dismiss them entirely.
teferi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:50 am Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
@teferi Physical attraction between characters and sex as an important topic are slightly different things. Compare Koi Kaze and Yosuga no Sora. Both shows focus on MC's sexual attraction to a sister, but while the first show uses it exclusively as a drama, the second develops the sex element to dark forbidden erotica. No matter what, it matters how.

I'm not talking about physical attraction though. There are multiple arcs where sex is used as the central source of conflict and there are multiple characters whose attitude towards sex is central to their character development. It takes upwards of 150 chapters before they abandon that shtick. The idea that it's somehow less important because it's not more explicit is ridiculous.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:01 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

Actually, I don't know how far the anime will get but after reading several arcs in the Manga this series resembles White Album 2 more than the ones you mentioned.

Also I would like to disagree with Andy regarding this

Quote:
Momo initially falls for how Natsuo treats Rui, only for him to turn around and treat her like all the other guys have

well firstly, Rui herself pointed out how Natsuo was being more courteous with Momo than he had been with her. then to me it seem as if Natsuo was considering having a serious relationship with Momo (although certainly just as a way to forget Hina) not just Bang her and leaver, leave alone stealing from her purse, double time her or abuse her (as she mentioned). so saying he was treating her like "all the other guys" is quite a misrepresentation
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:13 am Reply with quote
teferi wrote:
#HayamiLover wrote:

I'm not talking about physical attraction though. There are multiple arcs where sex is used as the central source of conflict and there are multiple characters whose attitude towards sex is central to their character development. It takes upwards of 150 chapters before they abandon that shtick. The idea that it's somehow less important because it's not more explicit is ridiculous.

Where did I say that something is less important because it is less explicit ? Don’t need to put words into my mouth that I didn’t even mean. Once again, I repeat, the question is not about sex itself, but how the plot uses it.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:23 am Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:

Quote:
Momo initially falls for how Natsuo treats Rui, only for him to turn around and treat her like all the other guys have

well firstly, Rui herself pointed out how Natsuo was being more courteous with Momo than he had been with her. then to me it seem as if Natsuo was considering having a serious relationship with Momo (although certainly just as a way to forget Hina) not just Bang her and leaver, leave alone stealing from her purse, double time her or abuse her (as she mentioned). so saying he was treating her like "all the other guys" is quite a misrepresentation

Yep. spoiler[Especially since he eschewed sex with her in order to cook her a meal because he felt bad that she was home alone a lot. He also firmly asserted that they won't date but he'll cook her meals when she wants. So basically he is already better than the other psychos she got with.]
Slashman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:57 am Reply with quote
So this has no actual T&A? It's just a drama fest like Scums Wish...well different but still the same.

I have this queued up to watch but if its another angsty teen drama with no payoff then I'll skip it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2