• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Will Not Engage Vic Mignogna on Future Productions

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aresef

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
Mod Edit -removed part of quote that was deleted - Maya

As for Vic, I can only speak with my very brief experiences with him. I volunteered at AnimeNext for several years and either 2005 or 2006 (don't remember) I was part of a group of staff that handled one of his panels.. and he was a dick. I didn't see anything questionable but he acted like an asshat. There were other VA's that acted similarly during my brief time as Con staff, and it was par for the course.

"I didn't see Vic do anything wrong at these couple of cons" is not the same as "I know for a fact Vic did nothing wrong."

There actually are people at a bunch of cons who were in the dark about everything.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:36 pm Reply with quote
^

I have no issue believing Vic did some or all of these things. I don't consider it an impossibility. When I met him, he was, frankly, a douche. A pompous ass who wanted everyone to kiss up to him. He'd skim through questions asked by males and waste time pandering to his female fans, paying them compliments, and when he walked by outside of his panels, he'd interrupt conversations between me and friends to say "HEY GUYS! MIGNOGNA HERE~!"

In short, I think he's a dick. Out of all the VAs I've personally met at conventions, he's the only toxic one, even if by some chance it turns out everyone is lying about the sexual misconduct. He's a real boat rocker and a PR time bomb waiting to happen.

That being said, my "victim blaming" fiasco had almost nothing to do with him. It had everything to do with Monica threatening to sue everyone who disagreed with her. People who made death threats and people who said "I love you Monica, but I feel you could have handled this better" are equally guilty in her mind and it's embarrassing. I've met Monica, spoken to her on Twitter before all this, and I know she's a better person than this.

Being in a rough emotional state isn't a good excuse for mistreating people who haven't done anything wrong, especially if you're a public figure. If she's in such a poor state of mind because of all this, she should step away from the computer until she's ready to handle this on a case-by-case basis. It's pouring gasoline onto a small fire instead of water.
Seif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Key

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:20 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
That being said, my "victim blaming" fiasco had almost nothing to do with him. It had everything to do with Monica threatening to sue everyone who disagreed with her. People who made death threats and people who said "I love you Monica, but I feel you could have handled this better" are equally guilty in her mind and it's embarrassing. I've met Monica, spoken to her on Twitter before all this, and I know she's a better person than this.

Being in a rough emotional state isn't a good excuse for mistreating people who haven't done anything wrong, especially if you're a public figure. If she's in such a poor state of mind because of all this, she should step away from the computer until she's ready to handle this on a case-by-case basis. It's pouring gasoline onto a small fire instead of water.

You've made your point on this clear. All you're doing now is rehashing the matter ad nauseum, and you're doing it about something that's not the subject of this thread (or the article which spawned it) and despite another Mod's direction to keep things focused. Time to move on to something else unless you have something genuinely new (and relevant to the overall topic) to add to the matter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GoddyNee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:23 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
^

I have no issue believing Vic did some or all of these things. I don't consider it an impossibility. When I met him, he was, frankly, a douche. A pompous ass who wanted everyone to kiss up to him. He'd skim through questions asked by males and waste time pandering to his female fans, paying them compliments, and when he walked by outside of his panels, he'd interrupt conversations between me and friends to say "HEY GUYS! MIGNOGNA HERE~!"

In short, I think he's a dick. Out of all the VAs I've personally met at conventions, he's the only toxic one, even if by some chance it turns out everyone is lying about the sexual misconduct. He's a real boat rocker and a PR time bomb waiting to happen.

Do I think he's guilty of something? Hell yeah...

Do I think he should've been let go from Funi? I understand the reasons but I think Funi should've waited and put VM on hiatus until the scandal blew over. Or just do it quietly...like eventually stop casting him.I mean, they all apparently knew he was a dickhead to work with; all they had to do was stop casting him in anything despite the huge following he has eventually and maybe they wouldn't be hit with boycott and death threats.

I still hate anime fans though. The response to this on twitter has been the nastiest s**t I've seen since 2016.
GoddyNee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Seif wrote:

Wouldn't seriously surprised me if he hit on both con moms and 16 year olds
Phraze

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:30 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:

I agree with you, she could've handled it better. Unfortunately, cyberbullying affects someone that much. I've been a victim of covert cyberbullying before, and it made me feel obliged to speak for myself any and every time. I can't and won't blame her. The numbers and severity she's dealing with is nothing close to what I faced.

Though this isn't the thread for it, just thought I'd clear that up. Or... Give my opinion on it.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:37 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
People who made death threats and people who said "I love you Monica, but I feel you could have handled this better" are equally guilty in her mind and it's embarrassing. I've met Monica, spoken to her on Twitter before all this, and I know she's a better person than this.

The thing about being in enough of a rough state of mind to not calmly evaluate each piece of feedback individually is that it also means being in enough of a rough state of mind to not be able to calmly decide to step away from it all. Sure, some do step away from it all, but that's more of a result of a metaphorical coin toss than use of judgement.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:13 pm Reply with quote
If you get upset when your posts are deleted, then do not ignore multiple moderator warnings. This is not the place to discuss Monica's Twitter feed, nor is this the place to discuss your opinion of moderator actions. If you have serious issues about the latter, PM a mod/admin or take it to the feedback forum.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Right. I just wish they would have left in what I said about Funimation's right to do what they did regardless of the legality of Vic Mignogna's actions. But I'll say it again.

They had every right to cut ties with Vic Mignogna even if he turns out to be completely innocent. A company is allowed to fire, or in this case, stop contracting a person, for any reason they please. Especially if that person is bad for Public Relations.
GoddyNee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:29 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Right. I just wish they would have left in what I said about Funimation's right to do what they did regardless of the legality of Vic Mignogna's actions. But I'll say it again.

They had every right to cut ties with Vic Mignogna even if he turns out to be completely innocent. A company is allowed to fire, or in this case, stop contracting a person, for any reason they please. Especially if that person is bad for Public Relations.

I wish more damned people would realize this.

He could've saved kittens from burning buildings and helped old ladies across the street, but a big time company like Sony isn't going to want someone with a reputation for scandal tarnishing their image.
Phraze

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:37 pm Reply with quote
GoddyNee wrote:
louis6578 wrote:

I wish more damned people would realize this.

He could've saved kittens from burning buildings and helped old ladies across the street, but a big time company like Sony isn't going to want someone with a reputation for scandal tarnishing their image.

I agree too. Though, it's likely they would've overlooked it if they could. Investigation indicates they went the extra mile to check if the move was necessary.... Or, Sony made them do that (lol). Don't forget it took 10+ years.
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:48 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:

Proved innocent how? Many of these things are beyond statutes of limitations. They may never be litigated in any way.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:54 am Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
louis6578 wrote:

Proved innocent how? Many of these things are beyond statutes of limitations. They may never be litigated in any way.

I think you missed the whole message behind that post.
purpleloops

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:02 am Reply with quote
I will say, for a guy who's entire disposition boils down to a long string of accusations and other spoken statements, his life is pretty much in the garbage shoot as we know it, and he seems to be handling it pretty alright in the public sphere.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 15