• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Will Not Engage Vic Mignogna on Future Productions

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sethimothy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:57 am Reply with quote
purpleloops wrote:
I will say, for a guy who's entire disposition boils down to a long string of accusations and other spoken statements, his life is pretty much in the garbage shoot as we know it, and he seems to be handling it pretty alright in the public sphere.

It allegedly took Chris Watts 2 weeks incarcerated before he stopped chatting with the guards and started bawling every night under the reality of his crimes. And let's be honest here - Vic is facing no real consequences here. A few lost roles and a harder time getting con invites. For a guy facing allegations dating back to 1989 that is exceptionally light IMO.
woozle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:37 am Reply with quote
https://twitter.com/vicmignogna/status/1095899612462895104

For what it's worth, Vic posted this on his twitter earlier. It sounds like he's going to step away and try and get some help
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:32 am Reply with quote
purpleloops wrote:
I will say, for a guy who's entire disposition boils down to a long string of accusations and other spoken statements, his life is pretty much in the garbage shoot as we know it, and he seems to be handling it pretty alright in the public sphere.

Handling it well is his only real option. The sexual harassment claims have taken center stage, but the long standing rude behavior towards con staff & other industry people is still a big issue as well. If he were to act out in public response to this he would only serve to prove people's points while in the spotlight. Not the best thing to do if you're trying to deny claims of such behavior.

woozle wrote:

For what it's worth, Vic posted this on his twitter earlier. It sounds like he's going to step away and try and get some help

And speaking of handling things well with good PR...the standard public apology that says they will grow as a person and work on things, but doesn't actually apologize for anything specifically.

Next up, the anger of his fans towards those who don't accept this apology where he doesn't really apologize for anything specific. The real test from Funimation will be in 2-3 years. Let's see if they stick to their guns on this or as some time goes he works his way back into roles for them.
Seif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:44 am Reply with quote
"I'm sorry if I offended"
"It's impossible for me to discern other people's boundaries"
"I had no idea people didn't like me"

That's such horse shit. He's playing to his fans' sympathies instead of trying to fix anything. Hiding behind the skirts of his Rangers is such a weak-ass move.
Steve Minecraft

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:58 am Reply with quote
Seif wrote:

That's such horse shit. He's playing to his fans' sympathies instead of trying to fix anything. Hiding behind the skirts of his Rangers is such a weak-ass move.

Dude said he'll reflect on hugging fans without their permission. What more do you want from the man?
macattack

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:02 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
And speaking of handling things well with good PR...the standard public apology that says they will grow as a person and work on things, but doesn't actually apologize for anything specifically.

Next up, the anger of his fans towards those who don't accept this apology where he doesn't really apologize for anything specific. The real test from Funimation will be in 2-3 years. Let's see if they stick to their guns on this or as some time goes he works his way back into roles for them.

You know as well as I do that he's retained legal counsel and he's probably been told not to directly incriminate himself on anything specific.

Also, if he does present evidence of reforming himself and improving his behavior it's up to his former contractors whether to take him back or not. I am sure if anyone opts to rehire him it will be under an exceptionally short leash, and that's assuming he is not guilty of anything more serious than not respecting boundaries and being an overwrought diva.
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:19 am Reply with quote
woozle wrote:

It’s a start, but words have no credibility unless followed by actions. Praying on it, saying he’s seeing a counselor, that doesn’t equate to a promise he will be a changed man. And I’m still unconvinced he understands the full gravity of his actions.
Seif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:31 am Reply with quote
Steve Minecraft wrote:
Seif wrote:

Dude said he'll reflect on hugging fans without their permission. What more do you want from the man?

A specific addressment to the harassment he's given to his colleagues. He's letting "Monica is a Liar" and "Jaime is crazy" get a free pass by playing the "poor me" card.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:15 am Reply with quote
Seif wrote:

The part I highlighted was what really jumped out at me. It's not impossible to discern if you bother to ask first or if they ask you. A fan asks, "May I have a hug?" or the guest asks, "Would you like a hug?" and stick to just what was asked. It's not impossible. If anything, it's ridiculously easy. In his convention video he admitted that he got lazy and assumed that since many were ok with it, they all were. Saying he couldn't have known and saying that he made assumptions seems contradictory to me.

I don't expect we'll see any comments beyond this, though. Like macattack said, he almost certainly has a lawyer telling him not to address anything more. Companies and conventions deciding not to work with him now is probably the worst that will come of the convention behavior, so addressing those concerns stands to be less precarious for him.

I will say, though, that I wish people would heed the last part of his message about not attacking or harassing people because of this. Every Funimation post on Facebook lately is crammed with people bashing them and other VAs, even for posts about Re:Zero where Funimation had nothing to do with making the dub, and Vic isn't in it.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:18 am Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:

It’s a start, but words have no credibility unless followed by actions. Praying on it, saying he’s seeing a counselor, that doesn’t equate to a promise he will be a changed man. And I’m still unconvinced he understands the full gravity of his actions.

I feel the same way. I get that making grand apologies is in vogue, but all I would really want out of an apology would be a short "I fucked up, I'm sorry, I'll try to do better in the future", and then commit to that last part with actions, rather than words.

It's not the worst apology to come out of MeToo, but the sneaky bits about the "impossibility" of boundaries or "I was totally ignorant of it all" just smacks me more as trying to explain away/excuse his behavior, rather than acknowledging "Yeah, my bad". Though I guess he could've been legally advised to not write anything even remotely resembling self-incrimination; I have zero idea of how that shakes out.
bones2039

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:31 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:

At least its a start for him. Yes, it is a well crafted public statement that doesn't apologize for anything specific. At this point why would he mention specific things especially if he is getting legal advice which I'm guessing he is?

There are people that will never forgive Vic for what he has done. That's fine. Even if Vic truly learns and changes his ways, the people he hurt don't owe him a second chance and they sure don't have to forgive him. He will have to live with his mistakes.

I hope Vic truly does learn, change his ways, and at least tries to make amends for his earlier actions. If he does change and apologizes would it be ok for Funi to hire him again in 2-3 years? I don't know honestly.
getumbuck

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:41 am Reply with quote
You know what would have been nice? What might even get me to like Vic again? If he openly told his fans to stop with the death threats and cyber bullying of Monica and Jamie. Heck, saying something like “I don’t approve of those actions from my fans and apologize of their behalf”. To me that’s what a man of class would do. You know dam well many of his fans will ignore that “be kind to one another and don’t be hateful on my behalf” statement and continue their harassment of these two ladies.
Steve Minecraft

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:55 am Reply with quote
Seif wrote:
A specific addressment to the harassment he's given to his colleagues. He's letting "Monica is a Liar" and "Jaime is crazy" get a free pass by playing the "poor me" card.

I wasn't aware he insulted anyone. Link/source?
Seif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:13 pm Reply with quote
He didn't insult them, he been alleged to have had sexually harassed them. His fandom is attacking them and calling them liars and conspirators. Click any Funimation tweet about anything and it's filled with garbage attacking Rial. By not specifically addressing those allegations and claiming "I had no idea that my coworkers hated me" he's allowing those conspiracy theories to stand. That "be nice to everyone guys" schtick doesn't cut it.

If he was truly repented he would directly address those two incidents and put an end to the idea that they're somehow plotting against him. Anything less is hurting them.

Last edited by Seif on Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:32 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Aresef wrote:

I feel the same way. I get that making grand apologies is in vogue, but all I would really want out of an apology would be a short "I fucked up, I'm sorry, I'll try to do better in the future", and then commit to that last part with actions, rather than words.

It's not the worst apology to come out of MeToo, but the sneaky bits about the "impossibility" of boundaries or "I was totally ignorant of it all" just smacks me more as trying to explain away/excuse his behavior, rather than acknowledging "Yeah, my bad". Though I guess he could've been legally advised to not write anything even remotely resembling self-incrimination; I have zero idea of how that shakes out.

Yeah, it's not as bad a statement as Spacey saying "If it happens, I was drunk, but why don't we all talk about my coming out?" But the "my bad" excuse doesn't cut it for the things he's alleged to have done. Then again, this was obviously drafted by a lawyer, so maybe that's why he doesn't go so far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 15