• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Dub Voice Actor Vic Mignogna Issues Statement: 'Taking Time to Recommit to God, Seeking He

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:48 pm Reply with quote
God issues statement: Yeah, no.
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Vic Mignogna's lawyer issues statement*

But thank you for reporting on and vetting the 1989 claim.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I don't believe a word of this. At all. He's just digging himself deeper and deliberately avoiding the real issue.

Also, I really wish the internet trolls and haters would leave Monica Rial alone. All she tried to do was stick up for herself and tell her story, and now everybody's acting like she's the next Hitler. The Twitter replies she's gotten are absolutely awful, and I can't fathom why anyone would think it's okay to treat her the way they've been treating her.
Steve Minecraft

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:

If God can forgive serial killers, he can forgive anyone, Sir or Madam. Although I suspect this comment was in bad faith anyway.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:06 pm Reply with quote
At least Vic seems to be trying to fix himself up. This is probably the appropriate thing to do. He won’t be back in the spotlight, and doesn’t deserve to be, but he can at least be better from here on out.

Utsuro no Hako wrote:

Whether or not you are theistic, you can’t deny that it can be a way of helping people overcome various obstacles in life. Don’t give the man the finger because he said the word “God” - and instead give him the finger for groping hundreds of teenage girls.

FireChick wrote:
I don't believe a word of this. At all. He's just digging himself deeper and deliberately avoiding the real issue.

Also, I really wish the internet trolls and haters would leave Monica Rial alone. All she tried to do was stick up for herself and tell her story, and now everybody's acting like she's the next Hitler. The Twitter replies she's gotten are absolutely awful, and I can't fathom why anyone would think it's okay to treat her the way they've been treating her.

What’s so bad about this? And what’s the “real issue” here? He did a bad thing, he got punished, and now he’s reflecting, plain and simple. What, do you want him to get punished even more or something? (Not that it wouldn’t be appropriate, I’m just trying to guess what you’re thinking)

I agree with your thing on Monica though. It’s a real shame that people who come out with their stories are constantly beat down and humiliated for doing the right thing. And Monica provoking everyone by copy and pasting the same comment about threatening legal action over and over isn’t exactly helping matters. Honestly, she may need a break from Twitter herself so that the situation can calm down.

Last edited by Gemnist on Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to quit supporting Funimation. It probably won't help, but I can't take anymore of this nonsense.

Last edited by thekingsdinner on Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Finally, Mignogna states that he is taking this time to "recommit to God and seeking help from counselor"

If by "counselor" he means "lawyer", then yes, that would be correct.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Don’t give the man the finger because he said the word “God” - and instead give him the finger for groping hundreds of teenage girls.

Or maybe just not give him the finger at all. I think plenty now have been give to him at this point.

Have there been "hundreds" he "groped"? Nevermind grope with ill intent? I mean, I suppose you could raise the number to the hundreds, but only if you really stretch the term "grope."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:16 pm Reply with quote
This is a nice statement.
From what I saw on videos and photos, he didn't seem like a person that purposefully wants to humiliate people, he seemed more like all that hype around him let him feel like he can do everything he wants. And no one talked to him about his attitude, instead they try to destroy him publicly on social media...

I don't want to defend him and I think quite a few things he did were pretty creepy, but I really don't like how his colleagues handled this situation either.

I hope this incident lets him behave more carefully in the future and I hope he will find voice acting work again soon after all this has settled down a bit.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:17 pm Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
Meanwhile, Monica Rial and Jamie Marchi get to keep their jobs.

I'm going to quit supporting Funimation. It probably won't help, but I can't take anymore of this nonsense.

Of course they kept their jobs, they didn’t do anything wrong while Vic is well known for being an ass. It’s simple logic, you act like an ungodly prick to people, you lose your job. It’s how jobs works.

I’m gonna be optimistic & hope this actually amounts to something positive.

Last edited by Scion Drake on Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
jenthehen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:17 pm Reply with quote
What did Monica Rial do??

Testimony IS proof - even in a court of law (which this is not).
TheMorry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Removed portion of discussion that has been deleted. Also removed insults from this post. --Crisha

Seriously people that defend him only say "where is the proof?" Does EVERY person that get harassed like Vic did (in the many reports) need to carry on a recording device like a camera or microphone in some way? And if they can not provide this then the accused person goes free? WHEN multiple people besides Monica and Jamie report to be harassed by Vic then its MOST LIKELY TRUE. WHy in the bloody hell do any of these people need to lie about it? They dont gain a DAMN thing with it. I honestly love Vic as a VA, he voiced some of the most iconic characters that i loved. But if he commits these things then he needs to be punished accordingly. And when he is punished perhaps he can work on himself to become a better human. I don't know if he ever will get his career back, i certainly hope he will at some point. But honestly people removed.. If there isn't direct physical proof doesn't mean its not true! Twitter is horrific to read about this whole issue idiots threatening Monica and Jamie. Honestly American kids these days... But what do you expect with a president like that there...
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:22 pm Reply with quote
People are jumping on one side and others on the other.

At the end of the day you can't say he did or did not do it unless you were there or understand the evidance that is presented.

That is why courts exist, So until it is decided i will not say anything i just hate people who are jumping on the gun for both the defence and offence
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Salieri wrote:
thekingsdinner wrote:
Meanwhile, Monica Rial and Jamie Marchi get to keep their jobs.

Same. I find it hard to trust a company that fires someone without proof or evidence.

This isn’t CSI or even Clue. Funimation, we can presume, talked to Rial and Marchi, talked to Vic and talked to others who may be able to support aspects of either side. And then they deep-sixed him.
HyperGatack

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Salieri wrote:
thekingsdinner wrote:
Mod Edit - removed part that victim blamed

Same. I find it hard to trust a company that fires someone without proof or evidence.

Except that Funimation conducted an internal investigation into the matter. They didn't look at twitter and go "Boy we should kinda nip this in the bud", they investigated, got claims, scrutinized said claims, and found reasonable cause to not bring him aboard their projects. (I keep seeing people saying Monica only came forward to steal his job, but I've only seen a handful of ADR director credits from a few years ago. I thought once he moved he only did voices anyway?)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 23