• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Direct Impact

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRWii

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm sure you'll be able to influence which of your students shack up together, too.

Hopefully they won't have kids that get shoved into a pocket dimension so they can grow up quick and immediately join the war effort.

Quote:
The composer isn't credited, but man, that sure sounds like Keiichi Okabe's NieR Automata work, doesn't it? Hmmm!

It sounded more like Hiroyuki Sawano to me, but I'd definitely prefer Okabe.

Quote:
LAY OFF HUNDREDS BECAUSE RECORD PROFITS AREN'T RECORD ENOUGH

I'm reminded of a scene from Looney Tunes: Back in Action.
Producer: "What? You can't fire me! My films have made over 900 million dollars!"
Exec 1: "That's not a billion."
Exec 2: "Not a billion."
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I would have at least noted a little blurb about Ultimate Alliance 3, especially since after the cataclysmic failure of Marvel vs Capcom Infinite, they went out of their way to go “We got X-Men! You like the X-Men, right? So do we now that we have the film rights back.”
Steve Minecraft

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:05 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
Hopefully they won't have kids that get shoved into a pocket dimension so they can grow up quick and immediately join the war effort.

Making broken child units was half the fun, though.

Beatdigga wrote:
I would have at least noted a little blurb about Ultimate Alliance 3, especially since after the cataclysmic failure of Marvel vs Capcom Infinite, they went out of their way to go “We got X-Men! You like the X-Men, right? So do we now that we have the film rights back.”

X-Men definately surprised me. All the shilling of "Captain Marvel" didn't. I hope her original, proper costume is selectable at least, since it was in the previous games. It still looks painfully MCU focused like Infinite though. Also, no Fantastic Four from what I saw either. Bleh. I don't have high hopes for it.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Between the fact it's Switch Exclusive, has some weird omissions like Black Swan, and fact it's not even being developed by the same team that made the first two games it's little bit early to be tap dancing on MvcInfinite's grave.

Quote:
Nintendo's been getting some flak for not providing enough value for Nintendo Online subscribers (which kind of puzzles me, given that it's much cheaper than XBox Live and PlayStation Plus),

It might be cheaper but comparatively it's still inferior to both services at the moment.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:41 pm Reply with quote
It was just a notable part of the Direct announcements is all.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:56 pm Reply with quote
-Mario Maker 2: Interesting how they have 3D World in it. Looking forward to what kind of insanity stages are made this time

-Bloodstained: It's been too long. I hope this really turns out good as Iga has never let me down

-Ultimate Alliance 3: Okay, does Reggie know where bodies are buried? That's the only explanation for why this is a Switch exclusive. Not that I'm complaining as we not only get the typical MCU guys, but the X-Men as well

-Dragon Quest XI: YOWZA, I was not expecting this much of an overhaul. Orchestral tracks, new quests, and even the 2D graphics from the 3DS version, this genuinely does look like the version to get. Even if it involves supporting a detestable goblin like Sugiyama. Yech

-Fire Emblem: Three Houses: Yeah, I'm really digging the idea of the setting not only being a military academy, but putting a further spin on it by having the player character be a teacher instead of a student. Looks like we're also going to have different factions like in Fates. All in all, looking great. Also, Koei-Tecmo is co-developing it. Not surprising considering they did Warriors and began their life developing strategy games like Nobunaga's Ambition

-Tetris 99: Best. Battle Royale. EVER. Pack it up, people, the genre's hit its apex.

-Daemon x Machina: Tried out the demo and liked it. The customization is pretty good and it's satisfying to just zip around in a mecha blowing up rogue AI.

-FF: Yeah, looks like from now through April is going to be an FF blitz. I'm waiting for VII

-Astral Chain: For a moment I thought it was Xenoblade X 2, then Platinum Games came up and I realized we were going with something else. I like how it resembles Patlabor with cyber-Stands meets tokusatsu. Also you can give your cyber wolf pets. GOTY

-Link's Awakening: Just take my wallet

-Activision: Yeah, this is UTTERLY disgusting. Record numbers and in order to pad the books further they just shafted tons of people. As for Kotick himself, he's plenty gross as a person, Heidi. He lost a sexual harassment suit in 2010 (and said under oath he wished to ruin the plaintiff and see to it that she never worked again), then tried to stiff the lawyers who defended him, then lost THAT suit, and apparently is also trying to evict his father's widow from her apartment just so he can sell it at a profit. When a scumbag like that is the CEO of the company, it's no surprise that shady, shortsighted business practices are implemented at the company.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
ACTIVISION ARE DOUCHEBAGS, LAY OFF HUNDREDS BECAUSE RECORD PROFITS AREN'T RECORD ENOUGH

Well, that's the nature of capitalism. It isn't enough to just do stuff, you've got to do more and more of that stuff over time, regardless of whether there's a growing need for it, and a reduction in acceleration of progress gets treated like a disastrous loss. (Because shareholder profits come from industry growth.) I don't know how we ever thought this was a good idea, or why we still think it's sustainable... reminds me of that bit from Alice in Wonderland where they had to sprint to stand still.

As for the games part: Mario Maker 2 is probably the only one I actually want, which is a little weird since I've never played the original, only seen a lot of let's-plays. On top of that, I'm not much of a Mario fan in general (think the only one in that series I finished was 64, the 2D ones in general seem boring). But the Maker take on it really seems like it's what Mario was always destined for--all the quirky components make perfect lego-bricks, and even in the relatively limited Wii U version, turned out to have vastly greater creative potential than what we saw from just Nintendo's level designers. There's a lot of trash/trolly levels, of course, but that's inevitable with this kind of thing. I'd much prefer 10% great levels with high variety to 90% great levels with high repetitiveness. And, of course, you can make your own.

On the opposite end, Link's Awakening was my first Zelda game and first "real" video game, but I'm not sure how I feel about the remake. The art style is a bit weird, and if it's 99% the same gameplay (as it appears to be from the trailer) I'm not sure what the point of a full remake instead of a re-release is. Will have to wait and see for that one.
Kitsu Kyouno

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:59 am Reply with quote
Mario maker 2 in nice
Kitsu Kyouno

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:59 am Reply with quote
Mario maker 2 is nice.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:41 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:

On the opposite end, Link's Awakening was my first Zelda game and first "real" video game, but I'm not sure how I feel about the remake. The art style is a bit weird, and if it's 99% the same gameplay (as it appears to be from the trailer) I'm not sure what the point of a full remake instead of a re-release is. Will have to wait and see for that one.

The point of a remake even one that may be a shot for shot remake of the original one is to have new people experience it due to the fact the original maybe too dated to experience it. I know if Nintendo had taken your argument to heart I would've never played Super Mario Bros. 2 on the original All Stars collection.

Also the game is on the Nintendo 3DS's eShop so if happen to have a 3DS the original game is still there.
Northlander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:30 pm Reply with quote
And to think Activision was once a company created by people who were tired of being treated like crap by the (then new) CEO of Atari, and then went on to make a ton of remarkable games for not only the Atari 2600....
Borderite92

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Link's Awakening remake looks like the merged both Japanese commercial(with the dolls) and 3d dot game heroes. A little disturbing!
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:32 am Reply with quote
I watched an Nintendo Direct through Youtube at nighttime at my country: shame that they didn't showcased Animal Crossing nor new Pokemon Gen 8 or Gen 4 remakes. I am hoping they can annouce it through E3 there.

I am hoping for Animal Crossing to be focuses on school environment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1