• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dororo

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gwydion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:49 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
So when he kills them, he not only regains missing parts of his body, but anything they may take from him in a fight?

Yeah, is this an anime addition, or was it like this in the manga, too?

I have to admit this actually soured me a bit to this episode overall, which is a real shame as I quite enjoyed the rest of it. It's not as if he doesn't get along well with the rest of his prosthetics, so it didn't need to be a big hindrance. But now whenever he fights a demon the stakes are going to feel lower, because even if he loses an ear or something, he'll just grow it back. The fact that, I thought, he'd lost a leg permanently added more weight to the situation, and now I just feel kinda cheated for being concerned about it just one episode ago when it was really just to end on a bigger cliffhanger.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:03 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
So when he kills them, he not only regains missing parts of his body, but anything they may take from him in a fight?

Look at it this way-
The demons,who are part of the pact,can only have one piece of Hyakkimaru at a time.
As the antlion demon took his leg,Hyakkimaru gained his voice.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

While sparing the samurai's life was probably essential for Hyakkimaru's humanity, I have a feeling it may come back to bite them.

Yeah, while i appreciated Dororo looking out for Hyakkimaru, i couldn't help thinking "that guy is the only witness, maybe after killing him would have been a better time...".

Anyway, that was a very sad but also beautiful episode which gave me a lot of feels. I think i finally lost it when Dororo and Hyakkimaru walked through the golden rice paddy together... Crying or Very sad

This episode went a long ways to align the 2019 anime' with the manga and 1969 anime.
Those samurai Hyakkimaru slaughtered were part of his father's troops- The plot thickens.
Maleko Ai

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

Look at it this way-
The demons,who are part of the pact,can only have one piece of Hyakkimaru at a time.
As the antlion demon took his leg,Hyakkimaru gained his voice.

BINGO!!
Zeino

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:46 pm Reply with quote
So right, Hyakkimaru got back his leg that was bitten off from the bug demon who I thought was dead so the demon has to trade Hyakki's leg for his voice. Killing the demon then gave him back both of his parts. Got it.

Also I'm surprised Daigo misses his first-born son. So it cements that while it was his choice to abandon the baby, he still didn't actually want to do it and misses him. Still doesn't make him any less of an asshole who hopefully gets his comeuppance in the end.

It does handily explain why Tahomaru tries so hard to emulate his dad and be the perfect son. He's competing against the brother he never knew. And he's still unable to gain his parents' full attention/
sailorstarsun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:35 am Reply with quote
Beautiful animation and music; well-written characters that the viewers feel for; powerful and on-point commentary on the travesties of war...

Buuuuuuut, no Makoto. B.
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Dude change ep 6 score to an A, the episode was sadly perfect!
TexZero

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:

Also I'm surprised Daigo misses his first-born son. So it cements that while it was his choice to abandon the baby, he still didn't actually want to do it and misses him. Still doesn't make him any less of an asshole who hopefully gets his comeuppance in the end.

He's not showing any compassion. He's more worried that the kid lived and is actively involved with ruining his pact.

He's noticed the temple and the demons involved having their ties to the realm being severed slowly.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:53 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Yes, Mio's actual work was unknown to the orphans. See her conversation with the oldest boy Take where he notices she's hurt and she says she fell. If he knew what she was actually doing, he wouldn't have asked how she got hurt. See also his conversation with Dororo, who treads very carefully as they talk about Mio's work.

Dororo also straight up asks Tate if he's ever seen Mio doing her work and he says he's never seen her at work because he stays at home at night to watch the other kids.

Quote:
He's not showing any compassion. He's more worried that the kid lived and is actively involved with ruining his pact.
Yeah. His father is clearly only looking out for himself but I don't think the son knows that and he thinks the father cares about something else more than him. This week's ending was heart breaking to see Hyakkimaru go through so much turmoil over Mio's death and just when it seemed like things were starting to look up for them. And even though it must have been hard for Dororo as well, he knew Mio wouldn't have wanted Hyakkimaru to turn into a monster.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Is it impossible for anime to leave a "I/we have a dream" death flag unfulfilled?

I remember my college friends in the 90's thinking it was a funny aspect of Bubblegum Crisis- Every Time a character talked about a dream for the future that character would die. How young and naive we were to think it was just a feature of one show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TexZero

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:54 pm Reply with quote
You know i'm usually faster to the uptake on these things but have all the "demons" just been japanese mythology retold ?

Only saying this because of episode 7 which modifies the myth of Jorogumo but still manages to retain most it's core elements.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:22 am Reply with quote
I'm really at a loss as to why this series is getting such meh / low reviews ... I feel like it's one of the objectively strongest series this season. Am I crazy?

Also, I thought Hyakkimaru saw red as demonic and white as human as opposed to good/evil or pure/corrupted.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:18 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
-Also, I thought Hyakkimaru saw red as demonic and white as human as opposed to good/evil or pure/corrupted.

Shades of red equates to just how evil/corrupted a soul is-And white/gray is how pure/good(shades of orange seems to be neutral evil thing).
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:22 am Reply with quote
Let's just agree it's just poor translating to call every youkai a ghoul- a generic use of monster would have served them better.

A ghoul is a very specific undead creature....
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:43 am Reply with quote
Well, that sure was...surprising. I was bracing myself the entire time for a tragic ending for our odd couple (which the future might still have in store for them) but, after last week's episode especially, this was probably as happy as this show gets...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 13