• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Alita: Battle Angel Film Earns US$8.7 Million on Opening Day in U.S.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#alfrescoCR

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:16 am Reply with quote
ooff so we can kiss goodbye for the sequel.
Dracospirit121

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:34 am Reply with quote
Seems to be doing better than predicted.. good Smile
#Synaesthesia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:42 am Reply with quote
Wasn't going to see it at first, because I assumed it was based off the anime. I've since learned it's mainly based off the manga, so I'm thinking about setting it now.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:47 am Reply with quote
Well, I did my part yesterday, saw it in IMAX 3D with a friend. Was absolutely worth it, it's legit great. Thanks again to Zac for the review here earlier, I was on the fence and that got me to go for it.
Super_M

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:20 am Reply with quote
In my opinion Alita is good movie. I enjoyed it more than typical Marvel/DC movies. I hope Alita make profits.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:43 am Reply with quote
I can't get over how good this movie is, and how terribly it's being marketed. It gets everything I love about the manga just right, and in an ideal world it would be just the first of a long series.

Last edited by Zhou-BR on Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
BlueHaro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:07 am Reply with quote
I saw it yesterday. Zac's review also made me give it a chance. It was actually better than I expected. A fun action movie that was very pretty. The action was basically more or less nonstop once it got started. The brutality of the action reminded me of Kill Bill and the cgi was somewhat of a spectacle like watching ready player one. I hope it does better overseas. It definitely deserves more love.

Last edited by BlueHaro on Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:32 am Reply with quote
Looks like the estimates of it being a tremendous flop were on the money. Doubt we'll be seeing any sequels.
Soaringfalco1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:36 am Reply with quote
The team behind this movie didn't do a good job marketing this movie and the whole decision in leaving Alita's eyes big did put off some people as well; The fact that's it's not a mainstream property held it back as well. Crying or Very sad
micah007

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:32 am Reply with quote
Saw it yesterday and am of the opinion that too much was adapted too quickly into 2 hours, and not in a way that was cohesive enough to work. I realize the intent was to get your moneys worth out of a film with a production budget of 170 million, but I wouldn't have made Motorball and Nova focuses of the film until the final act as cliffhangers.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:35 am Reply with quote
...This article is miss-leading,as it's using old data.

The movie has already made $51.5 M worldwide between the 14th & 15th.

(It will need to earn over $500 million to break even).
ZenAmako

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:56 am Reply with quote
Saw it on Friday night in 3D. The theater was only half full, and I could hear the woman next to me snoring for over half of the movie. The theater near me is only showing this twice a day in 2D and twice a day in 3D (so four showings per day combined), which makes me think they weren't expecting much of a demand for it.

I really enjoyed it, mostly for Alita herself. Rosa Salazar really does a great job. The fully human characters are actually more robotic in this movie. It's a visual spectacle for sure. Can't wait for the 4K UHD/3D Blu-ray. 3D is the way to go with this one I think.
Punpun's ghost

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Saw it with the family; we all enjoyed it. It's quite sweet. I liked Alita, thought the battle sequences were pretty decent; thought the cgi was impressive, pretty cohesive. The eyes were fine. But too there was much packed in, too many cycles. We all felt it was, well, kinda long, which meant we sort of drifted in and out at times. I thought it was well-intentioned and they tried hard to try and make it both faithful to the manga (without the splatting brains), while also making it accessible to as wide an audience as possible, hence the YA bias to her relationship with Hugo/Yugo. But because of that, I felt it possibly tried to do too much. Tonally, it felt it pulled its punches a bit.

In an interview, Yukito Kishiro said he'd been so certain the manga was going to be cancelled he made each cycle extra short, so fans wouldn't be left dangling should it be pulled with little notice. I feel that left the film makers with a dilemma, and they tried to be too faithful by including too much. And then, to be a bit less episodic, they added other elements to tie it all together. And I don't think that helped. So it begs, what to have kept? Hmmm.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:23 pm Reply with quote
OOF.

2019's first major flop of the year.
Twilightmaster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:27 pm Reply with quote
It was a fun movie, but I don't think it was great. Rosa did a good job, but the guy who played Ido was really hamm-y in his line delivery. He wasn't the only one though, there were a lot of cringe-y lines throughout the movie. It also felt like it was dragging on mainly cause there were so many plot threads going at once, so it was hard to be invested in any single moment for long. And because so much was going by so quickly a lot of the emotional scenes felt like they had a lot less impact.

The action scenes, Alita herself and the CGI were all pretty good though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3