• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN Idea: Discord Chat

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:19 am Reply with quote
Hello there, it would have been great of ANN made an Discord chat. I heard that the IRC use have been declining over the last couple of years and it would have been great if ANN has Discord replace IRC on it.

(sorry for my poor English)
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:00 pm Reply with quote
That's an interesting idea. I'd be willing to look into it.
piotrus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:03 am Reply with quote
Any progress?
TF

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:00 am Reply with quote
Any news about this?

What are the future plans for ANN because most people seem to prefer MAL?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:19 am Reply with quote
I think MAL and ANN are extremely different websites. People who prefer MAL are looking for something different than people who prefer ANN. A lot of people use both.

As for a Discord server, I apologize, it's been pretty low priority over the last little while.

But we can start looking into it right now. What would you be looking for from an ANN Discord ?

-t
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:53 am Reply with quote
If I may give my own thoughts. I don't use Discord all the time, but regularly enough.

I think first and foremost you'd want it so only "admin" on the Discord Group can create discussion threads. It's fine for the forums letting users create discussions, but in my experience on discord too many "threads" can really bog down a group chat. Especially since it all just drops down into one big menu instead of how on the forums after "X" amount of threads you go to the next page. Now there could be a sort of Group Info section that has some sort of "Suggestions or Requests" thread. That way people can request or suggests new thread suggestions. You could certainly have several main sections set up with a reasonable amount of discussion threads within each main section.

My second suggestion is have a nice range of main section areas in terms of topics. You probably don't want to have something like 30 main areas each with various discussion topics, but I think more then just an ANIME and MANGA area would be nice. We don't need to include a section for every facet of nerdom, but many of us are into other nerdy facets, within and outside of anime itself. Stuff that can still be sort of tangibly linked.

For the main sections you could have something like this:

Community Info
Anime
Manga and Novels (that way LN's or other similar print media relative to anime can all go in this one mian area)
Music
Cosplay
K/J-Dramas
Misc Hobbies
Off Topic Chat
Travel (or just a "Japan" specific section of sorts)
Food

And so on.

These are just some ideas off the top of my head. Obviously within each main section you have (like those ideas above) the actual discussion threads would be relative to that main topic, and how it relates to the anime fandom in some fashion. So for the music section maybe a thread discussing AMV's, idol groups, etc. For the food section a thread discussing dishes seen in anime, or just Japanese/Asian specific dishes as a whole. You get the idea.

I think the key is to keep it a bit more light and open ended in a sense, but also different from the forums. I don't think having the exact same discussions here and there would make sense. I would think the goal is to keep them both interesting and unique enough to where people would want to use both for discussion. Maybe leave the more "official" stuff here. Like the various discussions on specific shows, streaming episodes, etc. Maybe have 1 or 2 more generalized "What are you watching/reading" type discussions in the Discord Chat, but leave the many specific anime/manga reviews and applicable discussions here on the website/forums.

The other topic to consider is if you would want to enable any voice chat room options or not either. If you did enable that perhaps do a once a month chat session with ANN staff. You could make it a subscriber perk perhaps. Not sure how you would only allow subscriber users here to participate in such a chat. Manually add them? That seems tedious. Maybe there's other ways. I'm not really that familiar with the "admin" side of running a discord chat. Just participating in one. The idea above though would be maybe once a month ANN staff/admin/whoever have a like 1 or 2 hour chat on some sort of topic. Maybe have that poll or discussion be here on the forums. Ask suers what broader topic they want to discuss for say March. You could even give a short list of like 3-5 topics you all (staff) are interested in discussing, and then subscribers vote on that month's topic. Then you have it at the set time and date. Maybe make the chat open for anyone to make it easier to manage who can or cannot join the chat, but have that topic voting be for subscribers only so they feel they get a bit extra out of it. Maybe have some sort of random answer a question correct get a prize giveaway if you're able. Use promotional products given to you guys. Sort of like how you guys would give out some anime/manga to people who asked questions at your con panels.

This is all just stream of thought ideas from me as they enter my mind while typing this. I think that's enough for now as well.
TF

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:09 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
I think MAL and ANN are extremely different websites. People who prefer MAL are looking for something different than people who prefer ANN. A lot of people use both.
-t

After giving it some thought, I decided to reply to this post.

What are, according to you, the differences between ANN and MAL?
Personally, I find them very similar. But that could be due to the fact in what I'm looking for in such site, namely a place to keep track of the anime i watched, am watching, want to watch including a short summary and rating of anime. Being able to get updates on evolutions in the world of anime is nice, but isn't a priority for me.

Having said that, everything I mentioned is availible on both ANN and MAL. I find ANN's overview of an anime easier and simpler than MAL (or it could just be because I'm more used to it). I do sometimes wonder if ANN is gonna keep surviving and whether or not I should make the switch to MAL.

So, to come back to the question of my post. What are, according to you, the differences between ANN and MAL?
thanks for your answer
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1