• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ring Horror Franchise Reveals Sadako Film With May Opening

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChestPains

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:26 am Reply with quote
If my memory doesn't fail me... this is one of the shitty Ring books?
I mean, the books in general aren't very good at all despite what the movies would lead you to believe, but I think this one is on the worst end of them.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:42 am Reply with quote
The books are leagues better than the films, although I enjoy both, so it's great to see they're going with a straight-up adaptation. Bonus points for getting Nakata back!
catbot158

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:21 am Reply with quote
Looks decent! Not sure how a Sadako origin story would work, but we'll have to see...

Though every time something new happens with the Ring, I think of poor Sawako Kuronuma...if Kimi ni Todoke was real life, then she would be having a hard time letting down the new onslaught of "Sadako" jokes.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:15 am Reply with quote
What, did some NEW producer get his hands on the Ring franchise?
I still remember when we got those chintzy 00's 3-D revivals, where Sadako leaped out of cellphones, because VHS tapes didn't exist anymore.

In this case, looks like the reverse situation, and they brought Hideo Nakata back to try and rein in the crazy off-franchise versions. (And they didn't get much crazier than "Sadako vs. Kayako".)
As the movie saying goes, horror franchises are like a game of hot-potato: The title rights get passed from one producer to another, until the player who has to Reboot the Franchise loses the game.
Just ask James Cameron with the "Terminator" series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1