• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueBeast33

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Grats on being 1 of like 10 people that don't like this fight I guess?

You didn't even explain what made the fight contrived or how it doesn't work in the grand scheme of your usual JoJo battles. White Album is literally one of the most logical stands in the entire series. Almost everything it does is related to actual real-world physics. Yes, there are some things that are clearly exaggerated a bit or some things that are completely just stand magic (absorbing the disc into his suit), but compared to most stands, especially in Part 5, it's pretty damn straightforward.
The only thing I'd argue you might have a point with is the placement of Mista's flashback. His entire flashback(including the part we saw earlier in the season) was its own chapter that was right before the White Album fight began. It probably would have been better placed there.

Outside of that, I just think you're way off on this one.
Generations

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
Grass Snowboard is definitely up there as one of the most ridiculous Jojo Stand Battle Solutions ever.

HA.

Remember, this is JoJo; it knows how to top itself every season on what is acceptable as 'most ridiculous solution'.

Four words: spoiler[Mobius strip string body.]
Stelman257

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:08 am Reply with quote
I have been absolutely loving the entire Execution Squad and their fights. Ghiaccio’s was fantastic with how much of a terminator he was, just when you think he’s done he just keeps getting back up, ready to murder our two guys. The shot of Giorno and Mista re-creating Michaelangelo’s La Pietà was so beautiful too.

Excited to see how the series develops now, and super hype for Risotto Nero entering the spotlight.
KML777

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:33 am Reply with quote
Next week: Prepare to be confused.
MalcolmBelmont

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:14 am Reply with quote
Actually i am going to make a prediction that Sam won't find it confusing. Actually i am predicting that Sam will like the next episode considering this arc brings the ommph that he is talking about
ChestPains

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:44 am Reply with quote
I'm happy they made WA feel like less of a slog then in the manga and I'll credit the VA for putting so much energy into his performance. Still an annoying episode to watch especially after Grateful Dead being so suspenseful and it's almost nostalgic to see JoJo returning to its "I'll punch until I win" style of ending fights.

But now we're getting to when it gets real and I am super excited to see how they'll play it in the show.
Aezreal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:56 am Reply with quote
BlueBeast33 wrote:
Grats on being 1 of like 10 people that don't like this fight I guess

I'll join that group as well. I'm not a fan of the White Album fight. I think the adaptation improved the source material, yet I still didn't care much for it.

Quote:
We're highlighting Mista's belief in pre-determination while also returning to that theme of resolve, and I don't think this fight successfully serves as a compelling example of either. The added flashback material doesn't tell us anything new, and we get all these platitudes about walking into darkness and trusting that you'll come out the other end, juxtaposed against a goofy Stand fight that feels even more laborious and contrived than usual.

This is exactly the reason why I didn't like it. The mechanics of the fight shift in ways that feel all over the place, I like some of the individual ideas (ice powers! invulnerable armor!)
but it doesn't mesh well together. Plus, another Stand user who reflects bullets back at Mista, which was only an interesting idea the first time. And it gets painted over with talk about things like resolve, but also a flashback. How does predetermination tie into resolve? Two disparate themes that again, could shine independently but don't mesh particularly well.

It's nice that we're almost done with the Squadra. I'm looking forward to what's next.
BlueBeast33

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:55 pm Reply with quote
And again, this is why I said Mista's flashback should have been probably placed right before the fight, then the stuff about pre-determined destiny wouldn't have been as prevalent. But everything else? What is the issue exactly?

They're up against someone who has an overpowered ability and are desperately struggling to figure out a way to exploit a weakness. Mista is on the ropes and doubting himself after feeling he made the wrong decision by not going for the disc right away after they shot Ghiaccio down into the water. The literal definition of resolve is finding a solution to a problem, in this case a rather huge one. How does the theme not work here? Giorno helped Mista find a path with his blood leading Mista to shoot his bullets in the best place possible which eventually led to Ghiaccio getting his neck stuck on the metal spike. And then we saw the brutal and intense final encounter after that.

So yeah, I'm not understanding what isn't working here, outside of the one thing we've agreed on. This fight is not hard to follow at all, and once again, nobody has really explained how it could possibly be to begin with. Maybe try posing some questions on the JoJo reddit or something if you're truly that confused. We don't bite, promise.
Aezreal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:48 am Reply with quote
BlueBeast33 wrote:
And again, this is why I said Mista's flashback should have been probably placed right before the fight, then the stuff about pre-determined destiny wouldn't have been as prevalent.

I disagree. I think moving most of the flashback to Mista's first arc greatly improved his introduction, and I prefer that to keeping the flashback in White Album's arc and leaving the Kraftwerk arc as it was in the manga. I saw plenty of people going into Part 5 for the first time and finding it hard to get attached to the characters quickly compared to the previous Parts where many teammates would get slowly introduced into the core group as villains or otherwise. The placement of all those flashbacks early on for each character clearly helped get over that hurdle quickly. Plus, placing the whole flashback in White Album would not negate the insistence on pre-determination as a belief, which would still not gel well with "resolve". The fight didn't need more resolve in the form of flashback-Mista doing his thing, it needed a better connection between the two themes.

I can't speak for Sam but I have no trouble following the fight, and I have no problems understanding how resolve ties into it. It's one thing to say "on a logical level, I get how they went from freezing powers to reflect bullets powers". It's the usual quasi-real life logic (ice powers, lower temperatures -> freezing air close to skin for "armor" -> freezing bits of air nearby to reflect things around) sprinkled with Araki twists and suspension of disbelief (I was going to list things but there's no point, it's Jojo's).
It's another to say that the fight is laborious and contrived, and feels boring for A: mixing disparate mechanics (no matter how you connect them logically, freezing powers and reflecting bullets/wearing armor are just entirely different in feeling) and B: reusing a core concept of reflecting bullets, even if it's now in service of "freeze air" rather than "stop momentum". As an example, Grateful Dead/Beach Boy arc was highly consistent from start to finish compared to White Album. There were still surprises and twists without feeling so disjointed from the setup.
BlueBeast33

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Well, if I had to choose where to place Mista's flashback, then yeah, I guess Kraftwerk overall does work better. But in terms of the part they had decided not to show yet, placing it right before the fight still would have probably been an improvement.

I went back and looked at the manga though, the end of the flashback talking about pre-determination seemed to be anime original. Bruno somewhat mentions it in a scene that the anime doesn't include, but that's about it. Nothing I'm seeing has Mista talking about pre-determination in the fight in present time. It's all about resolve. He saw the path he needed to take thanks to Giorno's help, and in the end played a crucial part in defeating Ghiaccio. But none of that was related to predeterminism. So that's honestly more of an anime screw up than a manga one(still I think this fight works better in animation).

I wouldn't call them disparate mechanics at all. Everything is related to ice and temperature. How is what Ghiaccio's doing any different from things we see Hitsugaya do in Bleach or Aokiji in One Piece. We've seen these characters find ways to make their ice abilities very powerful, but it's not something that is out of the ordinary with what they're able to do. If you're not a fan of the reflecting bullets stuff, fine I guess. But lets not sit here and act like 2 is a pattern. Mista was shot with exactly one bullet in the Kraftwerk fight and that was it. This fight took that to an entirely different level. If you find that boring, it is what it is, but clearly plenty of other people don't, considering how popular this fight is in the fandom. And this isn't even my favorite fight. Top 5 maybe, but my favorite fights haven't even happened yet.
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:22 pm Reply with quote
So the Boss has taken center stage as the main antagonist of Part 5 and his Stand, King Crimson has been unveiled..... There is a meme about it. It's very complex in what it can do and that throws alot of people off and Araki doesn't give the most detailed explanation about it's abilities. So here's a fairly elegant summery of it to save everyone time and headache if you don't mind spoilers of what the Boss looks like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0xyyvwr9C8
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:55 pm Reply with quote
After Kira getting Bites The Dust as a natural evolution of bombs, I don't think any contrived subpower relationship could surprise me anymore.
MalcolmBelmont

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:18 pm Reply with quote
What do you think Episode 20's Rating will be - I am thinking B+ or maybe an A
MalcolmBelmont

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Wow i loved the episode but i didn't expect it to get an A+
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:06 pm Reply with quote
What I do not get is why the boss did not; let her get killed, ask Brunos gang to kill her or at least wait until she was delivered and Bruno had left before killing her. He guided these people right to where he was, and then tried to abduct and kill her right in front of one of them.He did not know that Bruno wanted to betray him, so for all he knew, he would gladly leave the girl there without the boss having to present himself to him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 14