• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Kaguya-sama: Love is War

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebv2406

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:47 pm Reply with quote
How come the reviews for episodes 3 and 4 don't mention the Chika dance and the Chika rap?
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:33 pm Reply with quote
ebv2406 wrote:
How come the reviews for episodes 3 and 4 don't mention the Chika dance and the Chika rap?

Probably 'cause they weren't materially important to the plot. Hella fun and entertaining, but reviewers only have so much space and time. And I say that as somebody who has re-watched them both at least half a dozen times. They both can be downloaded from YouTube, by the way.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:48 am Reply with quote
Episode 5:
Chika, proving she's God gift to anime, one episode at a time.
At this point, it's safe to say she's surpassed the leads and she's trolling everyone at levels equal to Light Yagami.

Sure, waiing outside the club door long enough to get the gist of the conversation, run down to the drama club to borrow a suitable costume, run back just in time to nail the exact moment to enter...
The only thing that proves she's human is that she was out of breath.
ebv2406

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:37 pm Reply with quote
At this point this anime should change its name to 'The Chika Show'
ebv2406

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
ebv2406 wrote:

Probably 'cause they weren't materially important to the plot. Hella fun and entertaining, but reviewers only have so much space and time. And I say that as somebody who has re-watched them both at least half a dozen times. They both can be downloaded from YouTube, by the way.

Make sense, I guess
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:30 am Reply with quote
This article is incorrect. Funimation is also streaming this series not just crunchyroll

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Ep 6,

Ishigami is my spirit animal. I remember those awkward high school days when you try and compliment a girl and it comes out all weird and she gives you that "you're creepy" look and you just want to crawl into a hole. It's been over 20 years and I still have traumatic memories.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Once again, the segment's biggest laugh comes courtesy of Ishigami, who notices that Chika changed her conditioner and compliments her on it before realizing how creepy this sounds.

No... Chika takes the comment in stride but responds more negatively when Ishigami decides to add what he thinks she now smells "like a baby" and then Chika says that it's creepy. So Ishigami leaves the room in a hurry thinking that he just wanted to compliment Chika since he thought she smelled good... which is also kind of an insult since if her new conditioner made her smell good now, what did he think of her before this? And Chika caught on to this angle by wondering aloud... loud enough to be heard by Ishigami as he left... "Do I smell, am I stinky?"

Chika holds nothing back. She has got to be the most brutal nice girl I've seen in awhile.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
No... Chika takes the comment in stride but responds more negatively when Ishigami decides to add what he thinks she now smells "like a baby" and then Chika says that it's creepy. So Ishigami leaves the room in a hurry thinking that he just wanted to compliment Chika since he thought she smelled good... which is also kind of an insult since if her new conditioner made her smell good now, what did he think of her before this? And Chika caught on to this angle by wondering aloud... loud enough to be heard by Ishigami as he left... "Do I smell, am I stinky?"

I dunno... the smell I associate with babies involves a nappy (or diaper, for the benefit of Americans) in need of changing, so that's the angle I think it is. It would take an especially socially anxious or paranoid mind to interpret "I like the new conditioner, smells nice" as "you smelled terrible before".
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:10 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:

I dunno... the smell I associate with babies involves a nappy (or diaper, for the benefit of Americans) in need of changing, so that's the angle I think it is. It would take an especially socially anxious or paranoid mind to interpret "I like the new conditioner, smells nice" as "you smelled terrible before".

The smell I associate with babies involves baby powder and other ointments and creams; the smell I associate with a dirty diaper is a dirty diaper.... which then QUICKLY gets changed and the baby goes goes back to smelling like baby powder and other lotions if the parent is doing it right.

"No one tells you you need Dial."... Dial being a brand of body soap. If the guy who was avoiding you most of the time compliments your NEW smell in one of the rare moments he's sharing space with you, it wouldn't be paranoid to immediately leap to the conclusion "Was my previous smell turning him off?"
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Okay, this series has been quite enjoyable up to this point, but Episode 7 is probably my favorite of the series thus far. I have not stopped to laugh so many times in a single anime episode since Asobi Asobase of last year. The last segment reminded me a bit of the humor from Seitokai Yakuindomo (one of my favorites), so that’s probably a big factor on why I enjoyed this episode so much. It’s been a blast following this show week-to-week and Fujiwara has become one of my favorite characters of the season.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:27 pm Reply with quote
The anime kind of exaggerated Ishigami's expression when making fun of Kaguya and Chika's bust sizes. He wasn't being a creeper, but he was definitely being a jerk. It was more of a mean-spirited joke that him being an outright pervert (not saying he isn't one though).
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Ishigami digging his own grave was hilarious, and seeing Chika folding the harisen to slaughter him with was great.

FWIW, he's no Mineta.
Last_Aeon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Funnily enough, I think this episode is funnier than the last despite the B+ score. But whatever :v
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:35 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Ishigami digging his own grave was hilarious, and seeing Chika folding the harisen to slaughter him with was great.

I expected Kaguya to lose it but it was hilarious that Chika struck first savagely. Chika is this show's secret weapon and learning she's a member of a board game club shows why she's so competitive against schemers and planners.

But for me, the funniest bits was just watching Chika's eyes dilate every time she was countered by Kagya or bashing Ishigami. It was like seeing a bunny with killer intent.

About Ishigami's thoughts on Chika and Kaguya, that's his fault for being pent up for so long. Instead of coming out a bit at a time, that he thinks Kaguya has a small bust and Chika has a large bust, it was just one thought after another to the only other guy of the student council.

"It was a life full of liking big ones and small ones." I don't think Ishigami is socially aware enough to know that he was mocking both small ones and big ones right to their face.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5