• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mobile Suit Gundam Narrative

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doctorx0079

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:

Minovsky particles are Gundam's MacGuffin. They have any properties the writers want them to have because of story constraints. They're no different from Photon Energy.

There are rules to Minovsky particles. Not a lot of rules and they don't have much to do with real physics, but there ARE rules. Such as how they jam radio waves (somehow) and they can be condensed into mega particles, which are what those fabulous beams are made out of. Minovsky particles can generate an i-field (somehow) which can be shaped into things (somehow).
doctorx0079

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Some posters seem to be assuming that the term "Real Robot" anime means anime that is "hard" science fiction. It does not. "Real Robot" is a relative term that means it is a realistic setting with giant robots used like military tanks or starfighters. It's realistic compared to Mazinger Z, Voltron and any "Super Robot" anime with super robots made of Super Alloy where only the Only True Hero(s) calls out attacks and fights aliens. For "Real Robot" think X-Wings and Tie Fighters.
Zeino

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:10 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
A charming spectacle, but not much else. Unicorn as a whole was better.

If it wasn't UC Gundam but AU, you'd be calling it crap I bet. But because it's UC, Pavlovian bias kicks in and makes your criticisms milder.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:44 pm Reply with quote
LightningCount wrote:
Really want to see this in a theater, but there are no showings close to me. Hopefully there is good turnout and Gundam in theaters becomes a more common thing. If DBZ can do it, Gundam can too, I say. They were Toonami cousins, after all. Amazing how times have changed.

Yeah, but there is certainly a difference in fortune on Toonami for the two franchises in modern times. Dragon Ball Super recently got a weeknight run on Adult Swim. Meanwhile, Gundam Unicorn got buried at 2 AM halfway through its one and only run on the network, and Gundam IBO Season 2 got a 3 AM rerun late last year, but it was soon jettisoned to 4:30 AM and then pulled.

As for the movie, I enjoyed it for what it was. Something toward the end kinda rubbed me wrong, so I won't say it was perfect, but it was a great continuation for this Unicorn fan. I'd go back and watch the earlier series but their animation looks so dated. Need to check out Origin though, and still hoping it's Toonami on Adult Swim's 3rd Gundam anime later this year!
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:15 am Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
Yeah, but there is certainly a difference in fortune on Toonami for the two franchises in modern times. Dragon Ball Super recently got a weeknight run on Adult Swim. Meanwhile, Gundam Unicorn got buried at 2 AM halfway through its one and only run on the network, and Gundam IBO Season 2 got a 3 AM rerun late last year, but it was soon jettisoned to 4:30 AM and then pulled.

As for the movie, I enjoyed it for what it was. Something toward the end kinda rubbed me wrong, so I won't say it was perfect, but it was a great continuation for this Unicorn fan. I'd go back and watch the earlier series but their animation looks so dated. Need to check out Origin though, and still hoping it's Toonami on Adult Swim's 3rd Gundam anime later this year!

Season 2 of IBO is a letdown and a disappointment anyway that probably deserves a 3AM slot on Toonami in my opinion. I did like Unicorn well enough. IBO's last season was not very good, hated it worse than Seed Destiny and ZZ Gundam. Origin is pretty good, if not quite faithful to the original show.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:13 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:

Mobile suits are powered by compact nuclear fusion reactors, which are possible because of Minovsky particles. Minovsky particles are basically the UC Gundam equivalent of dilithium crystals. There is no such thing as Minovsky energy in Gundam terminology.

Minovsky particles are Gundam's MacGuffin. They have any properties the writers want them to have because of story constraints. They're no different from Photon Energy.

NOT the way I've seen them used.

And they're nothing like the photon energy Mazinger uses.

Minosky particles have been used since the original Gundam TV series to LIMIT combat to visual distance (although they still snipe with scopes) because the Minovsky particles screw up radar transmissions and just scramble most long-range sensors.
They're also used to FIND mobile suits because they're associated as a byproduct of the nuclear reactors mobile suits use. They may screw up radar and other microwave equipment but M-particles register obviously on sensors designed to detect Minovsky particles.
They're hardly a MacGuffin. They're a way of keeping the mobile suits in UC Gundam from becoming TOO powerful although in light of what we see in Gundam Unicorn the later generation Gundams with psychoframes are becoming about as powerful as the alternate reality Gundams but Minovsky particles DO NOT make those particular mobile suits as powerful as they are -- it's the psychoframe and the way it reacts to the mental abilities of Newtypes.

Remember that in the 08th MS Team the hover tank has special audio amplification equipment to detect enemy armor movements. It's actually probably partly audio amplification coupled with seismic (earthquake detecting) equipment. That was how they got around the Minovsky scrambling effect in ground combat situations.

Minovksy particles arelike the weaknesses used in comics to impose limits on characters that would otherwise seem "all-powerful" -- ie, magic and kryptonite for Superman, the limit of the imagination and the color yellow for Green Lantern for many years.

Minovksy particles keep the combat in Gundam (with the exception of visual magnification like sniper scopes) to close quarters otherwise the MS suits would be firing weapons at beyond-visual range all the time.
LightningCount

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:15 pm Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
LightningCount wrote:
Really want to see this in a theater, but there are no showings close to me. Hopefully there is good turnout and Gundam in theaters becomes a more common thing. If DBZ can do it, Gundam can too, I say. They were Toonami cousins, after all. Amazing how times have changed.

EDIT: Unfortunately, for a variety of reasons, Gundam's momentum was limited in the US by the corporate decisions over what order to release and localize the series entries. Wing, G, X, 08th MS Team, 0083, and 0080 should have gotten top priority given the time frame when Gundam first hit Toonami. Instead, Wing was followed up with 0079 on weekday TV, whereas 08th MS Team was relegated to late-night for a long time. 0080, likewise, was late-night (exclusively), and 0083 was moved to Adult Swim late-night with Cowboy Bebop and the like. By the time G came around weekdays, damage was already done, and any good will that generated was affected by SD Gundam (a chibi-style kids series) being released next on weekday TV. SEED was eventually put forward, but by that point Toonami was in the decline and only on once a week. Ideally, Wing, G, X, and 08th MS Team should have been released via Toonami, and probably in that order. (G and X could be flipped, depending on what approach you want to take. X has more UC elements and feels like a combo of Wing and G sometimes, and G appeals to the DBZ's fans, but conversely, no series LOOKS more like Wing than X, and X also has pilots who do some crazy stunts.) As for 08th MS Team last...it looks the most like an AU series, even though its UC, and it takes place during the One Year War that sets up all the other UC OVAs and TV series. In modern times, even though it's old now, the only series really tailored to capture a new audience fully has been, in my opinion, Gundam 00 from 2007-2009. But that went to SciFi/SyFy Channel in its own time. Still, I'm not sure how exposed people were to it, so it might still be a good idea to bring it back on TV. I personally thought its second season really missed the mark, but there's enough there to find an audience, probably. I'm just not sure any AU since has been as inviting (even though IBO seemed like it was trying for that), and UC entries almost always have bigger barriers of entry. I mean, sadly, I wonder if The Origin is going to be a bit too slow and political for modern audiences, but maybe I'm mistaken. [END OF EDIT]

The Origin is really good. A little uneven, and a few ret-con liberties are taken that don't quite match up with some later story threads, but it's really enjoyable. And the way it sets things up, I think you'll be tempted to at least try the original 0079. The last remastering they did of that series from 1979 makes it look better than previously, and while it's certainly old, the directorial work on it and its story still hold up today. (Its cast of villains and their interactions are especially interesting.) And this is coming from someone who traditionally has not been a super-fan of UC or the older Gundam TV shows. I still haven't fully come around to Zeta, ZZ, or V yet, but the only one I've really seen a lot of of those is Zeta, which is generally a fan favorite. (I can see how influential it was, but I haven't been able to get into it so far the way I did 0079.) Yeah, Origin is supposed to get a broken-up TV version sometime this year in Japan. I wouldn't be surprised if it finds its way to Toonami sometime by mid-2020. But maybe sooner?

I personally didn't love Unicorn. The animation was great, and some of the scenarios were interesting, but I didn't like enough of the characters and it seemed to move in a truncated fashion too often somehow. Plus, it was a little too referential to earlier entries for my tastes...spoiler[It's not exactly thrilling to have a literal Char clone with such import when so many series have done different and interesting takes on a Char-like character.] Iron-Blooded Orphans, likewise, wasn't without its good points, both Season 1 and 2, but as a whole, I found it really lackluster. It might be one of the more underwhelming/forgettable Gundam series I've seen. From the 23-minute preview I've seen of Gundam NT, it looks like it'll be an enjoyable ride, even if a little superfluous.

For someone just getting into Gundam today, though, the older UC OVAs--08th MS Team (takes place at the same time but in a different place than the original series post-episode 10), 0080: War in the Pocket, and 0083: Stardust Memories, are still amazing feats of animation today. The recent Gundam Thunderbolt series is also rather impressive, but not as balanced as those previous OVA series. I'm actually a little surprised Thunderbolt hasn't found its way to Toonami...but it's a little too gritty and over-the-top perhaps. The older UC movies of Char's Counterattack and F-91 are decent as well. Off the top of my head, F-91's got a little higher level of animation, I'd say.

When it comes to Alternate Universe stories outside of UC, I go with Wing, G, X as my top tier, then SEED, SEED Destiny, 00 as the second tier. I'm currently slowly working my way through Turn-A Gundam...which sits between the idea of a UC and AU entry, and it's very well done but is hard for me to rank right now.

Last edited by LightningCount on Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:47 pm; edited 3 times in total
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Gohanangered wrote:
Actually the newtype stuff was suppose to represent a new stage of evolution to human beings. Especially ones that had been living in space for many generations. The stuff you see visually was to best represent as much as possible what was going on in their minds and how they were able to do what they were able to. Close to advanced psychic abilities.

So basically newtypes pretty much ruin the immersion of realism whenever their abilities are used?
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:07 pm Reply with quote
LightningCount wrote:

I personally didn't love Unicorn. The animation was great, and some of the scenarios were interesting, but I didn't like enough of the characters and it seemed to move in a truncated fashion too often somehow. Plus, it was a little too referential to earlier entries for my tastes...spoiler[It's not exactly thrilling to have a literal Char clone with such import when so many series have done different and interesting takes on a Char-like character.] Iron-Blooded Orphans, likewise, wasn't without its good points, both Season 1 and 2, but as a whole, I found it really lackluster. It might be one of the more underwhelming/forgettable Gundam series I've seen. From the 23-minute preview I've seen of Gundam NT, it looks like it'll be an enjoyable ride, even if a little superfluous.

For someone just getting into Gundam today, though, the older UC OVAs--08th MS Team (takes place at the same time but in a different place than the original series post-episode 10), 0080: War in the Pocket, and 0083: Stardust Memories, are still amazing feats of animation today. The recent Gundam Thunderbolt series is also rather impressive, but not as balanced as those previous OVA series. I'm actually a little surprised Thunderbolt hasn't found its way to Toonami...but it's a little too gritty and over-the-top perhaps. The older UC movies of Char's Counterattack and F-91 are decent as well. Off the top of my head, F-91's got a little higher level of animation, I'd say.

When it comes to Alternate Universe stories outside of UC, I go with Wing, G, X as my top tier, then SEED, SEED Destiny, 00 as the second tier. I'm currently slowly working my way through Turn-A Gundam...which sits between the idea of a UC and AU entry, and it's very well done but is hard for me to rank right now.

Unicorn probably feels truncated due to it being chopped to pieces for a TV series. Which will probably be the feeling watching Origin as a TV series. IBO was one of the worst Gundam shows I've ever seen besides maybe ZZ Gundam, very disappointing how it all turned out towards the end. Thunderbolt Sky was pretty good, haven't seen the other half yet.

I keep talking about IBO it seems, that show's still very fresh in my mind I guess even though it was like 3 years ago. The sting of the disappointment still resides I guess.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
I keep talking about IBO it seems,

Yes you do, but no you're not wrong in your criticisms. Season 2 was hot bullshit.
Oby

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:17 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Oby wrote:

Also, Gundam franchise being known for being the most realistic giant-robot anime out there is thanks to entries like the first MSG, Gundam: 08th MS Team, Gundam 0080, Gundam 0083, Gundam: The Origin, Gundam Thunderbolt, Gundam X and

Don't at least half of those series feature newtypes who throw that alleged realism out of the window?

Half? Where did you get that number? The only entries in that list that used Newtype to such great feat are only MSG & X.

But that's beside the point. Those shows I listed are still the most grounded "humanoid giant robot"-shows out there. I mean, even the ultra-realistic Patlabor has giant monsters in the anime? Don't believe me? Watch the TV episode where the 2nd Division was pursuing a monster that escaped from a lab or another episode where they encounter a giant earth dragon. And no, I did not make that up.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Codeanime93 wrote:
I keep talking about IBO it seems,

Yes you do, but no you're not wrong in your criticisms. Season 2 was hot bullshit.

IBO Season 2 is great. It fulfilled all the things that Season 1 setup and it didn't pull its punches when it comes to delivering tragic ending like any other mafia movies that the show clearly took inspiration from. Orga making bad decisions one after another is a very natural result from Biscuit's demise in Season 1 (glad that the writer didn't forget that) which made Orga lost his "voice of reason". McGillis was a smart guy but obviously psychologically broken and blinded by idealism (muh Bael!) which become his undoing. Mika fulfilled his role to the very end: doing what Orga told him and protect his friends the best he can while also managed to leave behind his legacy in a form of a child who can live better than he could ever be. Not bad for for a character with mental impairment like him. And many other nice things. The politics is also poignantly realistic. I mean, Rustal winning the final battle is only natural. Making him losing due to Deus Ex Machina will leave so much more bad taste for the show.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Oby wrote:
Half? Where did you get that number?

Was a rough estimation as I haven't seen (nor read) all the various Gundam sequels, spinoffs, etc that feature newtypes.

Oby wrote:
IBO Season 2 is great.

Yeah no it's not.

Oby wrote:
It fulfilled all the things that Season 1 setup

Like McGillis turning on Tekkaden?

McGillis reforming Gjallarhorn

Orga accomplishing all his goals for Tekkaden?

Orga and Merribitt getting together

Or Akihiro & Lafter getting together?

Mikazuki having kids with Kudelia & Atra?

Hell I don't even know if season 2 even got around to ever explaining the context of the scene with Orga and Mikazuki and the dead guy in the alley and that scene showed up repeatedly in season 1 and as i recall season 2.

Oby wrote:
and it didn't pull its punches when it comes to delivering tragic ending like any other mafia movies that the show clearly took inspiration from.

The first 1 & 2nd Godfather movies have no tragic endings only the third did, and that's considered non canon not only by fans but even the books. And if that was the thought process behind a lot of the tragedy in season 2 it seems kind of dumb when season 1 was rife with tragedy and when some of those tragic moments in season 2 happened as a result of legitimately bad writing that didn't have much within the way of payoff.

One such example is Jaisley having Lafter killed (after selling out Naze) served no purpose other than messing with Akihiro who already had to deal with his brother getting killed in season 1 and forcing Tekkaden into conflict with him (which also involved them breaking from Teiwaz) which didn't require either of those two actions.

Oby wrote:
Orga making bad decisions one after another is a very natural result from Biscuit's demise in Season 1

Biscuit's death in and of itself also served no purpose other than to make Orga feel guilty following their fallout which was due to Biscuit questioning Tekkaden's mission in light of his brother's suicide.......the same brother who tried to sell out Biscuit to Gjallarhorn a move that would've potentially led to Biscuit's and Atra's deaths.

Oby wrote:
McGillis was a smart guy

Smart guys don't sell out their friends who he could potentially use as allies to his cause......and after revealing to one of them some of the bad stuff he did in the name of this cause. Seriously injures them instead of killing them allowing them to ruin his plans years down the road.

Oby wrote:
I mean, Rustal winning the final battle is only natural.

The circumstances under which Rustal put down the McGillis' power play wasn't natural since a good part of it relied on convenient circumstances and bad writing (see the above regarding McGillis and Gaelio).

Oby wrote:

Making him losing due to Deus Ex Machina will leave so much more bad taste for the show.

Lol Tekkaden got screwed by multiple Diablous Ex Machina's which was decidedly worse as it undid everything that was built up by the end of season 1. Like if you like your stories to end with the bad guys dominating the good guys that's fine but that did not make for a good way to finish up Iron Blooded Orphans and good part of the fanbase is well justified in being upset about it.
Oby

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:16 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Oby wrote:
Half? Where did you get that number?

Was a rough estimation as I haven't seen (nor read) all the various Gundam sequels, spinoffs, etc that feature newtypes.

Well, your rough estimation based on my list of Gundam shows is wrong. Simple as that.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Oby wrote:
;]IBO Season 2 is great.

Yeah no it's not.

Yes it is.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Oby wrote:
It fulfilled all the things that Season 1 setup

1. Like McGillis turning on Tekkaden?

2. McGillis reforming Gjallarhorn

3. Orga accomplishing all his goals for Tekkaden?

4. Orga and Merribitt getting together

5. Or Akihiro & Lafter getting together?

6. Mikazuki having kids with Kudelia & Atra?

1. What show did you watch? McGillis never turned on Tekkadan until his final breath. His plan is simply not that good. In fact, Tekkadan is the one faction that he is most loyal to beside himself. Didn’t you see how McGillis delayed Arianrhod’s advance by fighting alone in Bael to give Tekkadan time to run? It’s too bad that he was bested by Gaelio in his Vidar.

2. It’s doomed to fail when it’s revealed that McGillis is too psychologically-broken to realize that he rely too much on an ancient rule of “whoever pilot Bael gets to lead Gjallarhorn”. It was a stupid plan by a delusional man and the show is well aware of that.

3. It’s quite an obvious foreshadowing that after the death of Biscuit, Tekkadan is doomed to fail when there’s no one to reign in Orga’s reckless decisions. Watch the S2 again. You can see that Orga kept making bad decision after another. All the shitstorm wouldn’t need to happen if: 1) Orga didn’t insist to make a branch on Earth with inadequate branch manager 2) if Orga would just settle with managing the half-metal mine instead of having a coalition with McGillis.

4. Shipping bias at its best. Merribit has more maternal chemistry with Orga more than a lover. Orga is simply not mentally-grown up enough for Merribit as a love interest. That’s the (harsh) truth no matter how much shipping fans are pouring for OrgaxMerribit.

5. Another shipping bias. Do you know how many couples & lovers are killed in the entire Gundam franchise? F-Tons. If anything, the show actually fulfilled Lafter’s long-overdue death flag which she should’ve gotten at the end of S1 when Ein screwed her cockpit.

6. Eh, Mika having a child with Atra is already such a great deal for someone like him (Atra wanted it too). Demanding more is simply too much. You want Kudelia to have his child too? What for? It doesn't really add to the story when Atra's child is already more than enough to serve such purpose. Kudelia's character doesn't want to have a child (at least not during such young age) and you want to force a child onto her just to fulfill your own expectation? That's messed up.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Hell I don't even know if season 2 even got around to ever explaining the context of the scene with Orga and Mikazuki and the dead guy in the alley and that scene showed up repeatedly in season 1 and as i recall season 2.

That’s because the context is not the point. The point of that scene is Orga’s interaction with Mika and the starting of their “pact”.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Oby wrote:
and it didn't pull its punches when it comes to delivering tragic ending like any other mafia movies that the show clearly took inspiration from.

The first 1 & 2nd Godfather movies have no tragic endings only the third did, and that's considered non canon not only by fans but even the books. And if that was the thought process behind a lot of the tragedy in season 2 it seems kind of dumb when season 1 was rife with tragedy and when some of those tragic moments in season 2 happened as a result of legitimately bad writing that didn't have much within the way of payoff.

I was actually referring to gangster movies like Scarface and its tragic ilk. But there’s also some allusions to Godfather when it comes to the Teiwaz stuffs, especially the McM Barriston character. Also, in season 2, the tragic ending is the payoff. Some people just refuse to acknowledge it and dismiss the entire thing as “bad writing”. I mean, gee, it’s hardly anything new. The Greek has told the tale of tragical heroes literally ages ago. Have you ever heard of Herakles/Hercules? Yeah, his story didn’t end up well either. Same with Achilles & Oedipus.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
One such example is Jaisley having Lafter killed (after selling out Naze) served no purpose other than messing with Akihiro who already had to deal with his brother getting killed in season 1 and forcing Tekkaden into conflict with him (which also involved them breaking from Teiwaz) which didn't require either of those two actions.

Not surprisingly, you totally missed the point of that death. Pay more attention to the show. Jasley killed Lafter to rile up Tekkadan so that they break up from Teiwaz in order to wage open war with Jasley’s Teiwaz faction because Tekkadan didn't have solid evidence that lead up to Jasley, only accusation. It’s a mafia rule, and Orga did exactly what Jasley wanted. The only thing that Jasley miscalculated is the true strength of Tekkadan and how unreliable Iok was in providing back up.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Oby wrote:
Orga making bad decisions one after another is a very natural result from Biscuit's demise in Season 1

Biscuit's death in and of itself also served no purpose other than to make Orga feel guilty following their fallout which was due to Biscuit questioning Tekkaden's mission in light of his brother's suicide.......the same brother who tried to sell out Biscuit to Gjallarhorn a move that would've potentially led to Biscuit's and Atra's deaths.

And? That doesn’t change that Biscuit’s death is a proper setup as the beginning of Orga’s downward spiral when it comes to making decisions in S2.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Oby wrote:
McGillis was a smart guy

Smart guys don't sell out their friends who he could potentially use as allies to his cause......and after revealing to one of them some of the bad stuff he did in the name of this cause. Seriously injures them instead of killing them allowing them to ruin his plans years down the road.

Stop cutting down my complete sentences into phrase that you deliberately put out of context. Here is my full comment:
“McGillis was a smart guy but obviously psychologically broken and blinded by idealism (muh Bael!) which become his undoing”
So, there you have it. I already provided the reason why McGillis F-ed up in the story without the need of your reply. Also, McGillis not ensuring Gaelio's death in S1 because, deep down, McG doesn't want to kill his best-est friend was painted as a major mistake & blunder in S2. McG's sentiment & humanity to (unconsciously) spare his buddy's life actually bit him in the ass & ruined his own plan. It's still a good writing.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Oby wrote:
I mean, Rustal winning the final battle is only natural.

The circumstances under which Rustal put down the McGillis' power play wasn't natural since a good part of it relied on convenient circumstances and bad writing (see the above regarding McGillis and Gaelio).

Again, pay attention to the show. Rustal was fully prepared to face McGillis' rebellion coz Vidar/Gaelio has been feeding some intel to him. Rustal himself was quite a smart and logical person. Smart enough to exploit McGillis’ tactical blunders (only relying on Bael).

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Oby wrote:

Making him losing due to Deus Ex Machina will leave so much more bad taste for the show.

Lol Tekkaden got screwed by multiple Diablous Ex Machina's which was decidedly worse as it undid everything that was built up by the end of season 1. Like if you like your stories to end with the bad guys dominating the good guys that's fine but that did not make for a good way to finish up Iron Blooded Orphans and good part of the fanbase is well justified in being upset about it.

The Dainsleifs were already introduced during the siege & fall of Naze’s faction. It doesn’t come out of nowhere. You can’t claim something being a DEM when it was already introduced multiple episodes prior to the ending.

So, agree to disagree. I think the ending is great because it delivers what S1 has built up. It built up to the fall of Orga & McGillis as well as the rising of Kudelia, Mars' growing independence & and the abolishing of the slavery system and the child soldiers. Mikazuki gets to do what he does best for a battle-hardened mentally-impaired paraplegic MC (fighting to the very end, the only thing that he knew best) and the more sensible characters from Gjallarhorn higher-ups (Gaelio & Julieta) survived and grew to understand more about the people to hopefully pave the way to a better Gjallarhorn & governments.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Oby wrote:

Well, your rough estimation based on my list of Gundam shows is wrong. Simple as that.

if it's based on your list of Gundam shows (i.e. your opinion) I don't know how simple as that.

Oby wrote:
Yes it is.

Mmmmm-hmmmmm so the multitude of divisive opinions on the whole of the 2nd season (the majority of which trends in the negative) is something that most certainly can't be disputed simply just because you liked it?

Oby wrote:
What show did you watch? McGillis never turned on Tekkadan

What part my statement did you not read I never said he did I was eluding to the way the story was headed it looked like he would eventually turn on them. And given McGillis willingness to turn on allies for his own personal gain that wouldn't have been out of the ordinary.

Oby wrote:
Tekkadan is the one faction that he is most loyal to beside himself.

So loyal to them that in the first season he gave Carta information as to what route they were traveling with the Prime Minister information that she otherwise would've never gotten given only Tekkaden and McGillis himself would've known this information the former would obviously have had no reason to give up this information as it would make their work difficult, the latter would if it meant taking an obstacle out of his way (which is how Carta's death was orchestrated). Or how he tconvinced Galileo into having Ein get his upgrade near the end of season 1.....the same upgrade that almost got Kudelia, Atra, Shino, Azee, & Lafter killed and forced Mikazuki to cripple himself in order to stop him? Or how he casually employed Todo.....the same guy that tried to sell the group out to Gjallarhorn in season 1.

That's loyalty!?

Oby wrote:
Didn’t you see how McGillis delayed Arianrhod’s advance by fighting alone in Bael to give Tekkadan time to run?

Nope I kinda trailed off in the aftermath of the battle with Hashmal and pretty much dropped the series after the BS with Iok and Jaisley. Plus that was likely guilt more than anything such as loyalty since a lot of what happened by that point was because of his poor judgement and inability to outfox Rustal.

Oby wrote:
It’s too bad that he was bested by Gaelio in his Vidar.

It's too bad that would've likely not happened had he made sure to kill Galieo in season 1.

Oby wrote:
It’s doomed to fail when it’s revealed that McGillis is too psychologically-broken to realize that he rely too much on an ancient rule of “whoever pilot Bael gets to lead Gjallarhorn”. It was a stupid plan by a delusional man and the show is well aware of that.

Poor writing for the sake of drama.

Oby wrote:
It’s quite an obvious foreshadowing that after the death of Biscuit, Tekkadan is doomed to fail when there’s no one to reign in Orga’s reckless decisions.

And yet most of the stuff that comes back to bite Tekkaden isn't because of Orga's recklessness.

The failure of their earth branch wasn't because of Orga's recklessness.
The awakening of Hashmal wasn't because of Orga's recklessness.
Galieo outing McGillis wasn't because of Orga's recklessness.
Even Orga's own death wasn't because of recklessness.

All of that was because of someone else's stupidity or because of plain BS.

Oby wrote:
Watch the S2 again. You can see that Orga kept making bad decision after another. All the shitstorm wouldn’t need to happen if: 1) Orga didn’t insist to make a branch on Earth with inadequate branch manager 2)

Earth Branch largely failed due to Rustal's plans (that only McGillis could see through) though by the time he did it was too late to mitigate the damage that Galan and Radice did.

Oby wrote:
if Orga would just settle with managing the half-metal mine instead of having a coalition with McGillis.

Tekkaden is a mercenary group though meaning not all their wealth comes from mining things on Mars plus given Tekkaden was a small group with few connections allying themselves with McGillis (just like Teiwaz) had benefit.

Oby wrote:

4. Shipping bias at its best. Merribit has more maternal chemistry with Orga more than a lover. Orga is simply not mentally-grown up enough for Merribit as a love interest. That’s the (harsh) truth no matter how much shipping fans are pouring for OrgaxMerribit.

Merribit and Orga is less shipping bias and more the fact that that's pretty much what the writing was getting at before they randomly decided not to commit to that.
It's also a harsh truth that there were barely any scenes between Merribit and Nadi and yet they became a couple for no reason.

Oby wrote:
Do you know how many couples & lovers are killed in the entire Gundam franchise?

Do you know that I don't care and that in no way justifies tired writing cliches?

Oby wrote:
F-Tons. If anything, the show actually fulfilled Lafter’s long-overdue death flag which she should’ve gotten at the end of S1 when Ein screwed her cockpit.

And yet Azee who was also involved in that same battle survived?........hmmmm

Oby wrote:
Demanding more is simply too much.

Setting up or hinting at something multiple times and then casually deciding not to do it is lazy writing it has nothing to do with wanting "too" much.

Oby wrote:
You want Kudelia to have his child too? What for? It doesn't really add to the story when Atra's child is already more than enough to serve such purpose.

You can make the exact same argument about Atra especially given that the writers initially went with the idea of Mikazuki and Kudelia starting a relationship (then weirdly kinda ignored it) then in season 2 just randomly had Mikazuki knock Atra up towards the end of season 2....seemingly because they had no time to do what they initially hinted at doing with both Kudelia and Atra all the way back in Season 1.

Oby wrote:
Kudelia's character doesn't want to have a child (at least not during such young age) and you want to force a child onto her just to fulfill your own expectation? That's messed up.

What in the bloody blue hell are you talking about?

This has nothing to do with my point.

Oby wrote:
That’s because the context is not the point. The point of that scene is Orga’s interaction with Mika and the starting of their “pact”.

Okay don't present a scene in a story if it's supposed to have context but then you never explain it as that renders it pointless.

Oby wrote:
Also, in season 2, the tragic ending is the payoff. Some people just refuse to acknowledge it and dismiss the entire thing as “bad writing”

Because that's what most of it was.

Oby wrote:
I mean, gee, it’s hardly anything new. The Greek has told the tale of tragical heroes literally ages ago. Have you ever heard of Herakles/Hercules?

Even those were hard to take seriously considering the logic (or lack thereof) those myths worked on. Even Shakespeare who was good for writing tragedy's get's crapped on for how needlessly depressing his stories got.

Even then doesn't justify IBO's writing.

Oby wrote:

Not surprisingly, you totally missed the point of that death. Pay more attention to the show. Jasley killed Lafter to rile up Tekkadan so that they break up from Teiwaz in order to wage open war with Jasley’s Teiwaz faction because Tekkadan didn't have solid evidence that lead up to Jasley, only accusation.

I understood what purpose the death was for.....on the surface, in the grand scheme of things though it still was pointless and unnecessary. And served little more than to be another example of women in refrigerators.

Oby wrote:

It’s a mafia rule, and Orga did exactly what Jasley wanted. The only thing that Jasley miscalculated is the true strength of Tekkadan

Which is laughable given that Jaisley would've (or should've) known Tekkaden at this point had gotten into separate scraps with Gjallarhorn and various other mercenary groups and came out mostly on top. And only further illustrates that the writers didn't really know what they were doing when they set this up. Since it's makes Iok's repeated attempts to directly destroy Hashmal (with weapons that don't work on) it look intelligent by comparison.

Oby wrote:
And? That doesn’t change that Biscuit’s death is a proper setup as the beginning of Orga’s downward spiral when it comes to making decisions in S2.

And? that doesn't change the fact it was another example of poor writing for the sake of drama.

Oby wrote:

Stop cutting down my complete sentences into phrase that you deliberately put out of context.

You of all people shouldn't complain about anyone taking your opinions out of context after the that cold take you came up with to 7 quotes ago. And what exactly have I put out of context.....or you just ignoring what I wrote and passing it off as out of context?

Oby wrote:
Here is my full comment:
“McGillis was a smart guy but obviously psychologically broken and blinded by idealism (muh Bael!) which become his undoing”

Okay two things

1. You didn't write that in your original comment that I quoted
2. Doesn't change the fact that McGillis did patently stupid stuff in season 1 and season 2 that came back to bite him in the ass and hastened his (and by extension) Tekkaden's downfall. If you still want to justify a "deep intelligent" writing go ahead still doesn't change the fact it was dumb.

Oby wrote:
So, there you have it. I already provided the reason why McGillis F-ed up in the story without the need of your reply. Also, McGillis not ensuring Gaelio's death in S1 because, deep down, McG doesn't want to kill his best-est friend was painted as a major mistake & blunder in S2.

Revealing crucial information (that you didn't need to reveal in the first place) to a guy you're about to kill who you had to kill because you casually revealed you identity to him as well (which you also did not have to do) , whom you then attack and think you've killed (without checking for a body) who then shows up alive and well years later and then subsequently reveals some of the "traitorous" actions you took, sullying your reputation and credibility in the public eye in the process.

Sounds way more better than the faux "deep" symbolism you're going for.....even if it's poor logic.

Not to mention McGillis having that realization that late is pretty dumb given that it had already been established (as I already mentioned) that McGillis was a man who was willing to kill or sell out family, friends, or allies if he stood to personally benefit from it. Him having that realization after he already screwed his father, Carta (who loved him) neither of which he showed much remorse for (and shouldn't have in the case of his father) was just absurd.

Oby wrote:
McG's sentiment & humanity to (unconsciously) spare his buddy's life actually bit him in the ass & ruined his own plan. It's still a good writing.

Yeah okay tell to anyone else who clearly sees it's for the BS it is and see if they don't laugh in your face. Iron Blooded Orphans had many things consistently good writing or logical character motivations was not among those things.

Oby wrote:
Again, pay attention to the show.

Again stop with the "if has really good meaning if you pay better attention" to defense. And just come to grips with the fact that not every agrees with your assessment of the writing in Iron Blooded Orphans. You can come up with any inane argument you could think of and this fact will not change the fact that the writers did some stupid stuff with the writing and the characters over the course of 50 episodes.....which was not enough to do everything they wanted to do anyway.

Oby wrote:
Smart enough to exploit McGillis’ tactical blunders (only relying on Bael).

All the while using Galan Mossa to disrupt Tekkaden's earth operations while letting Iok (who revealed himself to be utterly incompetent twice) work under him.

Oby wrote:

The Dainsleifs were already introduced during the siege & fall of Naze’s faction. It doesn’t come out of nowhere

Which happened in the middle of season 2?

And conveniently enough is something that Gjallarhorn has a substantial supply of?

Also wasn't talking about the Dainsleif's specifically.

Everything from Galan Mossa's plans, to Iok & Jaisely's team up, Tekkaden leaving Teiwaz,Gaelio revealing McGillis's duplicity, to Shino missing his chance to kill Rustal, Gordon killing Orga.

All that was just done to undermine any hope of Tekkaden even so much as earning a Pyrrhic victory.

Oby wrote:
You can’t claim something being a DEM when it was already introduced multiple episodes prior to the ending.

You also can't whine about the idea of Tekkaden getting a good ending by way of Deus Ex Machina while laughably ignoring "all" of the other Diabolous Ex Machina's that came into play to ensure that Rustal would win in the end while also suffering virtually no drawbacks in the process..

Oby wrote:
So, agree to disagree. I think the ending is great because it delivers what S1 has built up. It built up to the fall of Orga & McGillis

Yeah now what show were you watching?

Oby wrote:
Mikazuki gets to do what he does best for a battle-hardened mentally-impaired paraplegic MC

Mikazuki isn't mentally impaired he's emotionally and socially stunted he also only became a paraplegic towards the end of season 2 as opposed to being one at the start.

Oby wrote:
(Gaelio & Julieta) survived and grew to understand more about the people to hopefully pave the way to a better Gjallarhorn & governments.

All the while Rustal the guy who made this possible gets treated as a hero despite being anything but.
Oby

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:33 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Oby wrote:

if it's based on your list of Gundam shows (i.e. your opinion) I don't know how simple as that.

It is very simple. Here, let me break it down for you since you can’t seem to comprehend it:
I mentioned the below shows as a group of Gundam entries with the most realistic take:
MSG
08th MS Team
Gundam 0080
Gundam 0083
Gundam: The Origin
Gundam Thunderbolt
Gundam X
Iron-Blooded Orphans

You then replied (which you don’t have to, but you did anyway) saying "Don't at least half of those series feature newtypes who throw that alleged realism out of the window?" which is fallacy since only two shows from those list used Newtype powers in a larger-than-life manner.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Oby wrote:
Yes it is.

Mmmmm-hmmmmm so the multitude of divisive opinions on the whole of the 2nd season (the majority of which trends in the negative) is something that most certainly can't be disputed simply just because you liked it?

Nah, I just mimicked your previous dismissive comment but using the opposite opinion. It proves that anyone can do what you did and it will be meaningless if not provided by good arguments.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Oby wrote:
What show did you watch? McGillis never turned on Tekkadan

What part my statement did you not read I never said he did I was eluding to the way the story was headed it looked like he would eventually turn on them. And given McGillis willingness to turn on allies for his own personal gain that wouldn't have been out of the ordinary.

Logic dictates that turning on Tekkadan after making a direct pact with them doesn't align with McG’s plan. Especially when he saw a bit of Agnika in Mikazuki. And we both know how much McG worshipped Agnika. And we saw how hard McG tried to get Mika under his wing.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Oby wrote:
Tekkadan is the one faction that he is most loyal to beside himself.

So loyal to them that in the first season he gave Carta information as to what route they were traveling with the Prime Minister information that she otherwise would've never gotten given only Tekkaden and McGillis himself would've known this information the former would obviously have had no reason to give up this information as it would make their work difficult, the latter would if it meant taking an obstacle out of his way (which is how Carta's death was orchestrated). Or how he tconvinced Galileo into having Ein get his upgrade near the end of season 1.....the same upgrade that almost got Kudelia, Atra, Shino, Azee, & Lafter killed and forced Mikazuki to cripple himself in order to stop him? Or how he casually employed Todo.....the same guy that tried to sell the group out to Gjallarhorn in season 1.

That's loyalty!?

My comment was referring at IBO S2. That’s when McG & Tekkadan officially sealed their alliance. In S1, they were still enemies that barely knew each other. During the first half of S1, McG was still trying to eliminate Tekkadan by using Todo & whatnot. Then, during the second half of S1, McG tried to test Tekkadan and took a gamble with them using his Montag disguise and company. After Tekkadan proved themselves able to stand at the top at the end of S1, that’s when McG started to admire them.

You see, there’s this thing called “progress” & “development” in stories and the above is a good example of it.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Oby wrote:
Didn’t you see how McGillis delayed Arianrhod’s advance by fighting alone in Bael to give Tekkadan time to run?

Nope I kinda trailed off in the aftermath of the battle with Hashmal and pretty much dropped the series after the BS with Iok and Jaisley. Plus that was likely guilt more than anything such as loyalty since a lot of what happened by that point was because of his poor judgement and inability to outfox Rustal.

Now that is a big one:
You dropped IBO S2 after the conflict with Jasley and didn’t experience the whole show? If so, you have no solid background to argue with me. You dropped halfway through and now you’re arguing about the ending of the show you didn’t watch *facepalm*.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Oby wrote:
It’s too bad that he was bested by Gaelio in his Vidar.

It's too bad that would've likely not happened had he made sure to kill Galieo in season 1.

If you actually watched McG’s final act in S2 then you should know that he himself acknowledged that error as one of his weaknesses. McG couldn’t follow through in killing Gaelio because he was the best friend he ever have. Even when McG got the upper hand, he would let Gaelio go (during the Vidar vs. Bael + Barbatos Rex which you didn’t watch because it happened after Jasley, according to you) due to his soft spot.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Oby wrote:
It’s doomed to fail when it’s revealed that McGillis is too psychologically-broken to realize that he rely too much on an ancient rule of “whoever pilot Bael gets to lead Gjallarhorn”. It was a stupid plan by a delusional man and the show is well aware of that.

Poor writing for the sake of drama.

Whatever floats your boat, Bud. Keep repeating that mantra and it will probably turn out good for your health.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Oby wrote:
It’s quite an obvious foreshadowing that after the death of Biscuit, Tekkadan is doomed to fail when there’s no one to reign in Orga’s reckless decisions.

And yet most of the stuff that comes back to bite Tekkaden isn't because of Orga's recklessness.

1. The failure of their earth branch wasn't because of Orga's recklessness.
2. The awakening of Hashmal wasn't because of Orga's recklessness.
3. Galieo outing McGillis wasn't because of Orga's recklessness.
4. Even Orga's own death wasn't because of recklessness.

All of that was because of someone else's stupidity or because of plain BS.

1. Making Tekkadan Earth Branch with no good BM is a bad idea. Especially when Arbrau’s forces already dislike you as has been displayed by the scuffle between Aston and the homebased military personnels.

2. Yeah, that one was pure bad luck.

3. No, but Orga agreeing to partake with McG’s open rebellion to Gjallarhorn without first hearing McG’s complete plan is what dragged Tekkadan into the whole mess. Especially when McGillis have no backup plan to deal with Rustal’s Arianrod and their mighty Dainsleifs in case of Bael failed to unify Gjallarhorn under his rule (which it did).

4. Tekkadan was already failing and on its way down even before Orga’s death. The only hope that Tekkadan had at the time is to smuggle its personnel so that they can live. Tekkadan already has no future after losing the Coup d’etat battle (which you didn’t watch properly based on your previous comment).

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Oby wrote:
Watch the S2 again. You can see that Orga kept making bad decision after another. All the shitstorm wouldn’t need to happen if: 1) Orga didn’t insist to make a branch on Earth with inadequate branch manager 2)

Earth Branch largely failed due to Rustal's plans (that only McGillis could see through) though by the time he did it was too late to mitigate the damage that Galan and Radice did.

It failed because of insufficient leadership. Chad is no leader material and he lacks intelligence & charisma to lead people like Radice who already hated human debris before Galan put his plan into motion. Remember the time when Chad dismissed Radice’s logistical complaints by merely saying “believe in Orga, our boss” instead of coming up with better solution? Yeah, Biscuit would’ve done a better job in Chad’s position but too bad he died. Heck, even Eugene would’ve done a better job than Chad since he was the ex-leader of CGS kid-group before Orga. And the team that Eugene lead actually saved Orga’s group during the battle of Edmonton. Leader material like Eugene right under his nose yet Orga chose Chad instead. That’s a bad decision through and through and another one that foreshadows Tekkadan’s downfall.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Oby wrote:
if Orga would just settle with managing the half-metal mine instead of having a coalition with McGillis.

Tekkaden is a mercenary group though meaning not all their wealth comes from mining things on Mars plus given Tekkaden was a small group with few connections allying themselves with McGillis (just like Teiwaz) had benefit.

Isn’t that kinda backwards thinking? Tekkadan has the ability to change & adapt if Orga wanted it to. I mean, look at them changing and evolving from the motley-crewed CGS division into one of the Teiwaz subsidiary that even has a branch on Earth. Don’t forget that Orga & the rest of Tekkadan members became mercenaries because they wanted to get riches & live prosperous lives. When they found the half-metal-rich soil in their territory, they literally struck gold right there. Good living was ensured. All they had to do from then on was to handle, maintain and protect their mine properly from outside forces while keep having good relationship with the head of Teiwaz. Basically stay on Mars on their own turf and only go outside when Teiwaz called for suppression assistance. They can relegate their mercenary business on the secondary spot and avoid unnecessary conflicts (and forget about the Earth branch). All the money from the mine will certainly keep Teiwaz happy.

So yeah, if Orga was smart and keep a level-headed thinking, all Tekkadan members could’ve lived a happy life. Instead his mind is too preoccupied by the thought of chasing something ambiguous like becoming “King of Mars” even though he didn’t know what that means exactly. Moral: unclear goals will lead you nowhere good or great.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Oby wrote:

Merribit and Orga is less shipping bias and more the fact that that's pretty much what the writing was getting at before they randomly decided not to commit to that.
It's also a harsh truth that there were barely any scenes between Merribit and Nadi and yet they became a couple for no reason.

There are people already calling that “shipping” being too unbalanced considering the difference in age & maturity as soon as Merribit was introduced during S1's airing. But of course, many people just don’t care and want them to be together no matter what (fortunately, the writer didn’t fall victim to some audiences' rather-desperate expectation). And don’t forget that that S1 ended Merribit’s screen-time by making her being terribly appalled at Orga’s decision to sacrifice some Tekkadan kids while Nadi was the one who tried to console her.

Also, the Nadi & Merri’s official relationship was treated and revealed as a surprise in the show with Chad being the audience surrogate when he found that out. Having a “surprise relationship” involving side characters who don’t even get that much screentime is fair and square.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Oby wrote:
Do you know how many couples & lovers are killed in the entire Gundam franchise?

Do you know that I don't care and that in no way justifies tired writing cliches?

Yeah sure, it’s cliché to have actual characters dying during mafia conflicts. Especially characters who are actually directly affiliated with the said mafia organization in the first place. Sure, buddy. Suuuuuuureeeee......... Rolling Eyes

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Oby wrote:
F-Tons. If anything, the show actually fulfilled Lafter’s long-overdue death flag which she should’ve gotten at the end of S1 when Ein screwed her cockpit.

And yet Azee who was also involved in that same battle survived?........hmmmm

Azee’s mech was only “decapitated” by Ein’s graze while the cockpit itself was pretty much fine. It was Lafter who cheated death by surviving even though Graze Ein kicked the shit out of her cockpit with its massive drill-foot.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Oby wrote:
Demanding more is simply too much.

Setting up or hinting at something multiple times and then casually deciding not to do it is lazy writing it has nothing to do with wanting "too" much.

The show set Merribit as a maternal figure to Orga and the same show delivers on that promise. That’s not lazy writing. Yet some people just wanted them to have a romantic relationship no matter what. If the show succumbed to that kind of crowd-pleasing tendency and have them married and live happily regardless of their psychological disparity then that will truly be lazy writing. Other Gundam couples like ShiroxAina, BanagherxMineva, NazexAmida, CharxLalah and even ex-couples like CharxHaman clicked because they have the same level of maturity and they understand each other. How can you expect OrgaxMerri to work when Orga doesn’t understand Merribit one bit? (pun not intended). It’s always Merribit who was forced to understand Orga (like a mother do).

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Oby wrote:
You want Kudelia to have his child too? What for? It doesn't really add to the story when Atra's child is already more than enough to serve such purpose.

You can make the exact same argument about Atra especially given that the writers initially went with the idea of Mikazuki and Kudelia starting a relationship (then weirdly kinda ignored it) then in season 2 just randomly had Mikazuki knock Atra up towards the end of season 2....seemingly because they had no time to do what they initially hinted at doing with both Kudelia and Atra all the way back in Season 1.

Look at the bigger narrative picture. It’s always Atra who was head-over-heels for Mikazuki since the very beginning. It’s always Atra who wanted to make a real family (with children) with Mika. That wa Atra’s life-goal. Meanwhile, Kudelia’s personal life-goal is more about giving prosperity to the people of Chryse, especially the children. Having a romantic relationship with Mikazuki was never her life-goals. Mika was her crush and that’s about it. At the end of the day, Kudelia was more interested in protecting Atra & Mika’s family and others like them after the war than to be Mika’s bride as she psychologically grew up in Season 2 to get over her crush and focus more on her role as a businesswoman & politician.

Note: a “hint” does not equal a “conclusion”. Just because character A is hinted to be romantically interested to character B earlier in the story, doesn’t mean the story have to make them be together later on.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Oby wrote:
Kudelia's character doesn't want to have a child (at least not during such young age) and you want to force a child onto her just to fulfill your own expectation? That's messed up.

What in the bloody blue hell are you talking about?

This has nothing to do with my point.

It is if you still insist that Kudelia should also carry Mika’s child just for the heck of it despite Kudelia's character development & arc.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Oby wrote:

Okay don't present a scene in a story if it's supposed to have context but then you never explain it as that renders it pointless.

It’s supposed to portray the relationship between Mika & Orga in the harsh & violent neighborhood of Chryse. It succeeded on that point.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Oby wrote:
Also, in season 2, the tragic ending is the payoff. Some people just refuse to acknowledge it and dismiss the entire thing as “bad writing”

Because that's what most of it was.

Says someone who dropped the show and overall didn’t follow the story properly.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Oby wrote:
I mean, gee, it’s hardly anything new. The Greek has told the tale of tragical heroes literally ages ago. Have you ever heard of Herakles/Hercules?

Even those were hard to take seriously considering the logic (or lack thereof) those myths worked on. Even Shakespeare who was good for writing tragedy's get's crapped on for how needlessly depressing his stories got.

Even then doesn't justify IBO's writing.

RedLetterMedia’s jaded voice activated: “Look, Ma. This man even trashes Shakespeare. Don’t you see how awesome he is?! I wanted to be just like him when I grow up!”

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Oby wrote:

Not surprisingly, you totally missed the point of that death. Pay more attention to the show. Jasley killed Lafter to rile up Tekkadan so that they break up from Teiwaz in order to wage open war with Jasley’s Teiwaz faction because Tekkadan didn't have solid evidence that lead up to Jasley, only accusation.

I understood what purpose the death was for.....on the surface, in the grand scheme of things though it still was pointless and unnecessary. And served little more than to be another example of women in refrigerators.

Gee, it’s almost like you forbid mafia stories to kill one of their most lovable protagonists in an assassination to get the strongest reaction from the audience and depicting the ruthlessness of the antagonist at the same time. Wow, you might as well just erase the great Sean Connery’s death in The Untouchables and many good deaths of its ilk from the history of film industry. Don’t you realize how absurd your complaint is?

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Oby wrote:

It’s a mafia rule, and Orga did exactly what Jasley wanted. The only thing that Jasley miscalculated is the true strength of Tekkadan

Which is laughable given that Jaisley would've (or should've) known Tekkaden at this point had gotten into separate scraps with Gjallarhorn and various other mercenary groups and came out mostly on top. And only further illustrates that the writers didn't really know what they were doing when they set this up. Since it's makes Iok's repeated attempts to directly destroy Hashmal (with weapons that don't work on) it look intelligent by comparison.

Once again you cut my sentence, made it incomplete and tried to change the context. What you just cut out is my second point about Jasley’s miscalculation which is the bigger misfortune for him: the fact that Iok failed to provide him back-up even though he already made the deal. You see, Jasley already seen’s how Iok’s fleet decimated Naze’s fleet with Dainsleifs where even Tekkadan (Barbatos, Gusion & grunts) couldn’t stop Naze & Amida’s deaths (and many others). If Jasley’s plan went smoothly and Iok came with his full-force Dainsleifs, you can bet your ass that Tekkadan would be turned to space debris (the actual ones, not the slave ones) by the Dainsleifs too.

Conclusion: Jasley’s plan was a good one. It’s too bad that McG managed to stop Iok’s fleet from providing back up to Jasley.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Oby wrote:

And? that doesn't change the fact it was another example of poor writing for the sake of drama.

And? People die in wars. Characters die in wars, especially characters who participate directly like Biscuit. There’s nothing inherently bad about that. What’s wrong with drama? Drama has to be set up when you want to do a proper conflict in a story. When you keep repeating the same “poor writing” excuses instead of providing a more valid argument points, you already lost the case. No matter how many times you say something is bad, you won’t convince the opposing side or the audience if you have no strong arguments.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Oby wrote:

Stop cutting down my complete sentences into phrase that you deliberately put out of context.

You of all people shouldn't complain about anyone taking your opinions out of context after the that cold take you came up with to 7 quotes ago. And what exactly have I put out of context.....or you just ignoring what I wrote and passing it off as out of context?

Look above. There’s another example where you just cut my sentences in convenient places to suit your argument.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Oby wrote:
Here is my full comment:

Okay two things

1. You didn't write that in your original comment that I quoted
2. Doesn't change the fact that McGillis did patently stupid stuff in season 1 and season 2 that came back to bite him in the ass and hastened his (and by extension) Tekkaden's downfall. If you still want to justify a "deep intelligent" writing go ahead still doesn't change the fact it was dumb.

1. Yes I did
2. You do know that some intelligent people sometimes stumble when it comes to common sense and moral, right? Especially those who have deep psychological scars that can’t be healed. McG is no exception. In MCG’s case, he idolized Agnika too much that he becomes delusional when it comes to him or Bael. As for the things with Gaelio, I already elaborated above. In other cases, McG just lack resources to fight back, especially against Arianrhod.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Oby wrote:
So, there you have it. I already provided the reason why McGillis F-ed up in the story without the need of your reply. Also, McGillis not ensuring Gaelio's death in S1 because, deep down, McG doesn't want to kill his best-est friend was painted as a major mistake & blunder in S2.

Revealing crucial information (that you didn't need to reveal in the first place) to a guy you're about to kill who you had to kill because you casually revealed you identity to him as well (which you also did not have to do) , whom you then attack and think you've killed (without checking for a body) who then shows up alive and well years later and then subsequently reveals some of the "traitorous" actions you took, sullying your reputation and credibility in the public eye in the process.

Sounds way more better than the faux "deep" symbolism you're going for.....even if it's poor logic.

Not to mention McGillis having that realization that late is pretty dumb given that it had already been established (as I already mentioned) that McGillis was a man who was willing to kill or sell out family, friends, or allies if he stood to personally benefit from it. Him having that realization after he already screwed his father, Carta (who loved him) neither of which he showed much remorse for (and shouldn't have in the case of his father) was just absurd.

Already elaborated above.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Oby wrote:
McG's sentiment & humanity to (unconsciously) spare his buddy's life actually bit him in the ass & ruined his own plan. It's still a good writing.

Yeah okay tell to anyone else who clearly sees it's for the BS it is and see if they don't laugh in your face. Iron Blooded Orphans had many things consistently good writing or logical character motivations was not among those things.

Considering all the Gundam fans who clicked “like” in the episodes in question posted on the official YT channel, I won’t have a hard time sharing my take with the general fans. In fact, I have already shared some of it in various forums and it pretty much received a warm welcome.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Oby wrote:
Again, pay attention to the show.

Again stop with the "if has really good meaning if you pay better attention" to defense. And just come to grips with the fact that not every agrees with your assessment of the writing in Iron Blooded Orphans. You can come up with any inane argument you could think of and this fact will not change the fact that the writers did some stupid stuff with the writing and the characters over the course of 50 episodes.....which was not enough to do everything they wanted to do anyway.

Oh, did I hit a nerve there? You certainly didn’t pay attention and missing many things in the show. But you just brush that laziness off and say that everything you disagree with is “bad writing”.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Oby wrote:
Smart enough to exploit McGillis’ tactical blunders (only relying on Bael).

All the while using Galan Mossa to disrupt Tekkaden's earth operations while letting Iok (who revealed himself to be utterly incompetent twice) work under him.

Iok is an obligation to Rustal. And Rustal received additional Kujan forces when he kept Iok around. The same forces that helped him won the final battle in the show. Also, Iok's dad was supposedly such a swell guy that many people owed to (maybe even Rustal).

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Oby wrote:

The Dainsleifs were already introduced during the siege & fall of Naze’s faction. It doesn’t come out of nowhere

Which happened in the middle of season 2?

And conveniently enough is something that Gjallarhorn has a substantial supply of?

Why not? We barely scraped the surface of Gjallarhorn’s real power and resources in S1 because Tekkadan only ever deal with small factions of Gjallarhorn in combat. I remember some people complaining about how weak Gjallarhorn seem to look in S1. The one time when Tekkadan was about to be obliterated by Arianrhod in Dort area, they backed off because they didn’t want people to see them murdering Kudelia and her guard forces on TV (or live-streaming, I don’t know what medium the reporters aboard the Isaribi were using). After that, it's left to Carta's forces & McG dad's forces.

Now that S2 actually expanded on it by revealing how strong the Arianrhod really is and their ultimate weapon called Dainsleif, you actually call it a DEM? There’s just no pleasing you guys.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Also wasn't talking about the Dainsleif's specifically.

Everything from Galan Mossa's plans, to Iok & Jaisely's team up, Tekkaden leaving Teiwaz,Gaelio revealing McGillis's duplicity, to Shino missing his chance to kill Rustal, Gordon killing Orga.

All that was just done to undermine any hope of Tekkaden even so much as earning a Pyrrhic victory.

Most of those misfortunes were triggered by Orga’s decision to enter the conflict between McG & Arianrhod. If tekkadan has no affiliation with McG, Galan would’ve left Earth-Tekka alone. If Jasley didn’t see Iok Fleet’s mighty weapons, he wouldn’t dare to make such a bold move to stab Tekkadan in the back to force them out from Teiwaz to fight his faction to avenge Lafter. etc etc. You can look for others yourself.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Oby wrote:
You can’t claim something being a DEM when it was already introduced multiple episodes prior to the ending.

You also can't whine about the idea of Tekkaden getting a good ending by way of Deus Ex Machina while laughably ignoring "all" of the other Diabolous Ex Machina's that came into play to ensure that Rustal would win in the end while also suffering virtually no drawbacks in the process..

Rustal has all the resources at his disposal to win during the final battle. So, his win is more natural for the story progression. If you insist that Tekkadan should win over Arianrhod after McG’s Bael blunder, how do you believably do that using all the information & lore that the show has provided at that point? Some good suggestion would be nice.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Oby wrote:
So, agree to disagree. I think the ending is great because it delivers what S1 has built up. It built up to the fall of Orga & McGillis

Yeah now what show were you watching?

IBO. You?

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Oby wrote:
Mikazuki gets to do what he does best for a battle-hardened mentally-impaired paraplegic MC

Mikazuki isn't mentally impaired he's emotionally and socially stunted he also only became a paraplegic towards the end of season 2 as opposed to being one at the start.

Oh, he’s definitely on the spectrum if his action & responses is to be considered. I mean, other child soldiers & space debris in the show can respond in a more humane way than Mika even though some of them have gone through such sad and terrible lives before joining Tekkadan (even Builth which was more unfortunate compared to Mika).

As for the paraplegic stuff, yes, it happened in Season 2 which is a refreshing turn of events seeing an MC actually lost his limbs in the middle of a story after so many high-risk armed conflicts (along with Gundam Thunderbolt). That’s a more accurate portrayal of a result of more hands-on MS battles with pilots inside. I want more of that in my war anime Cool .

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Oby wrote:
(Gaelio & Julieta) survived and grew to understand more about the people to hopefully pave the way to a better Gjallarhorn & governments.

All the while Rustal the guy who made this possible gets treated as a hero despite being anything but.

One of the points of the ending is portraying how unfair things can play out in the world. Rustal getting it good despite all the atrocities that he had done is part of that point. If Rustal gets his just desserts then IBO’s ending wouldn’t be so talked about like it is now.

On top of all that, Nagai (the director and the originator of IBO's story) already said that he designed/made/wrote/planned the story of IBO with Tekkadan's (and some its allies) downfall at the end. It's also said that his original ending was even grimmer with less surviving Tekkadan members, but Mari Okada actually interfered a little to soften the blow (even during the ending of S1). So, Tekkadan's downfall has always been in the active conversation of the people making the show. It's not a sudden decision
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4