• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 'Far From Perfect': Fans Recount Unwanted Affection from Voice Actor Vic Mignogna

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:41 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
capt_bunny wrote:
I was going more of how Monica seems to be avoiding these questions and the thread of her threatening her lawyers.

I agree that some of the tweets she's responded to with the cut-and-paste "screen shot" tweet haven't all warranted that as a reply...but I'm lost on what questions are being avoided?

To the tweet I posted had the thread of her saying she would call her lawyers when the person who made it asked about why didn't she distance herself. To ask for her full story on what did Vic do to her. No matter how many times people ask what did Vic do in the assault is when she has blocked, ignored, or deleted on whoever asked. Even those that have been hurt are "joking" such as Amanda Winn Lee even said she wishes assault on someone. If these people were truly hurt then why wish someone the same amount of pain to them? If these people were truly the ones that wanted justice then why talk about wanting to cut someone's body part off. If these people truly did want to do for the better and stand up for those that were hurt by Vic then why call the fans or those people that have supported you "assh*les". You can look it up but all of those people I have said are voice actors.

I understand that anger doesn't make you think clearly but some of these things that Monica has done by those truly asking on what did he do is something she doesn't say. Which I don't get it because she was the one that was in charge of the investigation. I keep looking up on what did Vic do and nothing. I keep getting a lot of vague stories such as him brushing against on someone by accident or the homophobia which makes no sense because he has done a gay novel audiobook. Like I said, I think he's done /something(s)/ but we just don't know what.

I wish that ANN would make an article as they are journalists about looking both sides of the situation. That these voice actors has said things about the fans and wishing horrible and saying how bad they are yet... not doing so..... They have done some certain articles such as one director saying he was feeling depressed so he took a mental health break so why not this? I am not a journalist but I can only wish. Please understand when I say all of this.
Seif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:30 am Reply with quote
capt_bunny wrote:
Which I don't get it because she was the one that was in charge of the investigation.

Why do you think that a voice actor/script writer was in charge of an HR investigation?
ranran-001

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:25 am Reply with quote
capt_bunny wrote:
Ali07 wrote:
capt_bunny wrote:
I was going more of how Monica seems to be avoiding these questions and the thread of her threatening her lawyers.

I agree that some of the tweets she's responded to with the cut-and-paste "screen shot" tweet haven't all warranted that as a reply...but I'm lost on what questions are being avoided?

To the tweet I posted had the thread of her saying she would call her lawyers when the person who made it asked about why didn't she distance herself. To ask for her full story on what did Vic do to her. No matter how many times people ask what did Vic do in the assault is when she has blocked, ignored, or deleted on whoever asked. Even those that have been hurt are "joking" such as Amanda Winn Lee even said she wishes assault on someone. If these people were truly hurt then why wish someone the same amount of pain to them? If these people were truly the ones that wanted justice then why talk about wanting to cut someone's body part off. If these people truly did want to do for the better and stand up for those that were hurt by Vic then why call the fans or those people that have supported you "assh*les". You can look it up but all of those people I have said are voice actors.

I understand that anger doesn't make you think clearly but some of these things that Monica has done by those truly asking on what did he do is something she doesn't say. Which I don't get it because she was the one that was in charge of the investigation. I keep looking up on what did Vic do and nothing. I keep getting a lot of vague stories such as him brushing against on someone by accident or the homophobia which makes no sense because he has done a gay novel audiobook. Like I said, I think he's done /something(s)/ but we just don't know what.

I wish that ANN would make an article as they are journalists about looking both sides of the situation. That these voice actors has said things about the fans and wishing horrible and saying how bad they are yet... not doing so..... They have done some certain articles such as one director saying he was feeling depressed so he took a mental health break so why not this? I am not a journalist but I can only wish. Please understand when I say all of this.

I am going to sum it up for you. It is none of yo business. You are not entitled to anything from Monica, and no one else is either. She probably gave her statement to Sony HR, and no one else. Maybe when she feels like she is ready she will post it on Twitter, but in the mean time, it's not your right to hear her give her account of what happened between her and Vic.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:01 pm Reply with quote
capt_bunny wrote:

For starters at no point was there ever a report she was in charge of the investigation. People really need to stop reading in between the lines or flat out making things up. She was a part of it because Funimation would obviously have talked to her in the process of their investigation. That does not mean she was in charge of it in any capacity, nor one of the people that ultimately made the choice to cut ties with Vic. That decision may not even be entirely FUnimation's either as they are owned by Sony now who could have weighed in on this internally.

Secondly, neither Monica nor any other victim owes you or any of us a single thing. None of the victims owe any of us an explanation of any sort. They don't owe it to us to give detailed accounts of their stories. She obviously would have told Funimation during their investigation, and her lawyer, but she doesn't have to tell any of us jack. Furthermore her lawyer suggested to not tell the details currently and when a lawyer says to do/not do something generally you comply. That's what you're paying them for.

As for your suggestion about ANN looking on both sides, perhaps you should read the articles more closely before saying that.

Quote:
Anime News Network reached out to Mignogna to comment in hopes of gaining more specifics about the allegations. He declined to comment and instead chose to stand by a statement he issued on January 21 where he mentions the allegations from the January 16 Twitter thread in general.
Aresef

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Here's io9's piece, which contextualizes the history of concern over his behavior and did get him to respond to specific allegations: https://io9.gizmodo.com/one-of-anime-s-biggest-voices-accused-of-sexual-harassm-1832390505

It uses fake names, so let's not play "Guess Who?" here.
GoddyNee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
Here's io9's piece, which contextualizes the history of concern over his behavior and did get him to respond to specific allegations: https://io9.gizmodo.com/one-of-anime-s-biggest-voices-accused-of-sexual-harassm-1832390505

Read it and....WOW.

I was wrong. He...he would've wound up Bill Cosby level if he wasn't stopped....
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
I understand that anger doesn't make you think clearly but
For starters at no point was there ever a report she was in charge of the investigation. People really need to stop reading in between the lines or flat out making things up. She was a part of it because Funimation would obviously have talked to her in the process of their investigation. That does not mean she was in charge of it in any capacity, nor one of the people that ultimately made the choice to cut ties with Vic. That decision may not even be entirely FUnimation's either as they are owned by Sony now who could have weighed in on this internally.

Secondly, neither Monica nor any other victim owes you or any of us a single thing. None of the victims owe any of us an explanation of any sort. They don't owe it to us to give detailed accounts of their stories. She obviously would have told Funimation during their investigation, and her lawyer, but she doesn't have to tell any of us jack. Furthermore her lawyer suggested to not tell the details currently and when a lawyer says to do/not do something generally you comply. That's what you're paying them for.

As for your suggestion about ANN looking on both sides, perhaps you should read the articles more closely before saying that.

I am not sure if you thought I was attacking or anything to be received this aggressive response. But I would like to say that I am sorry if you thought I was trying to attack and be mean at this.

I was told that she was head in the investigation so thank you for correcting me on that. I know that no one owes us the details but maybe a summary so people know they can't alone and see what was wrong that Vic did. Tbh, I saw nothing of Monica saying about her lawyers not to say anything. I wish she would have told a status or anything that her lawyer said that. I'm saying this because it kinda made her look bad. There's a whole meme going on about the "I am going to tell my lawyer!" everywhere so if people knew then they would have understood.

It is true that it is none of my business but if that was true then that means a bunch of the cases of the #metoo movement had a lot of people upset when it was only one person against one instead of many people wanting to say stop to the assault on this person who did it to them. It's hard to know when it should be a group or one person because many situations are different.

I am not saying I am standing up for Vic but I don't think this situation is very black and white. I said so before on many of my posts that I am sure he did something or somethings wrong. But seeing how many of these voice actors are attacking those makes me upset.... Not because they pay and support them. But no one should be attacked like that. Yeah, its understandable as I said before of how anyone can snap from being upset but one should at least try to explain calmy or have those give the understandings. Not wish upon those for an assault, calling them certain words and etc.

You are right. I should be learning how to to read it right. Makes me think I should try to get better reading for my dyslexia. So thank you for showing me that part of the article. ^^
ranran-001

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:51 pm Reply with quote
GoddyNee wrote:
Aresef wrote:

Read it and....WOW.

I was wrong. He...he would've wound up Bill Cosby level if he wasn't stopped....

Shouldn't Vic be grateful for being caught sooner? Probably he's not, but I would like to think his mother would be.
GoddyNee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:01 pm Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:
GoddyNee wrote:
Aresef wrote:

Read it and....WOW.

Shouldn't Vic be grateful for being caught sooner? Probably he's not, but I would like to think his mother would be.

I don't think his mother would care either. Wasn't she involved with his fan club?
ranran-001

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:15 pm Reply with quote
GoddyNee wrote:
ranran-001 wrote:
GoddyNee wrote:
Aresef wrote:

Read it and....WOW.

I don't think his mother would care either. Wasn't she involved with his fan club?

Sadly now that you point it out, his mom probably just excuses that bad behavior of his. Vic's mom runs the fan club, fan events events, and organizes those sleazy fan meetups, the one where he's playing Twister with under aged girls.
GoddyNee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:13 pm Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:
GoddyNee wrote:
ranran-001 wrote:
GoddyNee wrote:
Aresef wrote:

Read it and....WOW.

Sadly now that you point it out, his mom probably just excuses that bad behavior of his. Vic's mom runs the fan club, fan events events, and organizes those sleazy fan meetups, the one where he's playing Twister with under aged girls.

I get that people love Ed Elric and Tamaki...hell I like Tamaki too...but seriously? if I was a teenager into anime, I sure wouldn't stan someone that was old enough to be my dad.

So someone posted in the other thread that Monica Rial finally came out and told her side of things. Hopefully the trolls can STFU and leave her alone but something tells me NOPE.

https://twitter.com/rialisms/status/1098028342475964417?s=21
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:40 pm Reply with quote
They didn't.

Some of the comments are:
>Apologize to Vic
>Apologize to Vic's fans
>Apologize to Vic since he apologized first
> Vic doesn't deserve this either

It's another world on Twitter right now.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:15 am Reply with quote
Yeah, and I saw one response to Monica is purely a screen grab of a gofundme page for Vic that is at $10k. Some others saying Vic is Christian and would never touch anyone in the way Monica describes. Even comments of people saying that Monica was going around attacking Vic fans online. Some interesting stuff.

For me, what has really hit the final nail, is the i09 article. It's said Vic has denied some of the allegations, but then said that a couple were true and he remembers them as being consensual encounters. I'll fess up and say that I'm harsher on judging people that cheat, due to personal reasons, but knowing that he owned up to 2 times he tried to bed other women while in a relationship...really makes me question the type of person he really is.

I think, one of the saddest things I've realised today, is that many people seem to believe Youtubers that are covering this story. People who don't have access to anything I don't...are being used as a newsource.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:11 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
I think, one of the saddest things I've realised today, is that many people seem to believe Youtubers that are covering this story. People who don't have access to anything I don't...are being used as a newsource.

I'm confused, are you saying YouTubers are not news sources? They have press passes and are invited to events to cover topics like any other journalist. A lot of established web-based news outlets are making the shift over to YouTube because that's where the audience is and where technology is leading, and phasing out their writing staff because they're becoming outdated. Only 8% of Gen Z get their news from old media like newspapers and websites. It's just the way technology is heading.

I've watched a few YouTube videos on the subject, and they seem to cover things a lot more in-depth. I've learned a lot of new details that I never knew about. For example I only found out about that Funimation voice-actress who faked her own swatting because they were the first ones to break the story.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:51 am Reply with quote
I think they mean that there are just people who are commentators, like hosts on The View or Wendy Williams, I dare say even Alex Jones.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 27 of 28