• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is the Reboot of Osamu Tezuka's Dororo Worth Watching?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:24 pm Reply with quote
So considering Dororo is literally unmentioned in the entire article, does he just more or less disappear from the show after episode 1? I liked episode 1 but Dororo is pretty much the type of character I dislike the most in these type of show and didn't bother continuing cause I know he would sour the whole experience for me.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:26 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
So considering Dororo is literally unmentioned in the entire article, does he just more or less disappear from the show after episode 1? I liked episode 1 but Dororo is pretty much the type of character I dislike the most in these type of show and didn't bother continuing cause I know he would sour the whole experience for me.
Yes he is in every episode, so you made a wise choice in stopping there if you didn't like him.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Dororo is the #2 anime of the season for me, behind Mob Psycho 100 S2. Each story has been a winner, and it's refreshing to see an anime this visceral, and yet with a heart. The nits Nick was picking didn't bother me as much, i guess, since I've seen those tropes used to much worse effect in nearly every other anime I've seen them featured in. It's too bad this is on Amazon, since this would be an easy rec for people who don't normally watch anime (kind of like Megalobox last year).
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:18 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Ya dislike Dororo.They do play a very important part in the story after all-heck even the story is named after her.And after over 52 something years...
Eddy564

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first few episodes and really enjoyed it so I’m very excited to continue watching.

Structurally it reminds me of Cowboy Bebop or Samurai Champloo, which may be a reason why I’ve taken a fancy to the series. I enjoy the “monster of the week” route when it’s done with just enough finesse and execution in how they’re completed. And I think this series has done a good job at that. And choosing to focus on different conflicts each episode makes the pacing pretty nice, although that makes it suffer some loss in characterization and worldbuilding.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I really think it's worth watching Dororo. I cannot see its bad points, really. I like how the horrors of war aren't sugarcoated and the themes about what is human or monstrous. It will be interesting to see what kind of human Hyakkimaru wil become.
Marzan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I’m enjoying this show immensely. It has an old school sensibility to it, but just does so much so well. And I think the “edgelord” depiction of our MC is way of the mark.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Child sidekick characters like Dororo are usually the worst, but they manage to make him not an insufferable brat, in fact he's quite helpful and likable.

Oooh, never make the mistake of thinking Osamu Tezuka is a primarily child friendly author. I don't remember what manga of his it was but I picked one up expecting a family fun romp. Instead the story opened with a young woman being brutally raped and murdered in his classic cartoony style. One of the few books that managed to make me physically nauseous.
phia_one

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched since episode 4 because I just don't find it engaging. It reminds me of my issues with Record of Grancrest War from last year. There were elements that I normally enjoy, but none of the characters made any impression on me.
zztop

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
MAPPA's current version is blowing many modern anime out of the water with its classic ingredients...The episode plots themselves do have a basic feel to them.

MAPPA's also adding their own twist and ingredients to Tezuka's (pretty) basic plotlines too. The episodes so far (save Ep 7) adapt from source manga chapters, but with additions and expansions to the story that enhance the experience further.

Some examples:
Quote:
In this case, that means undoing the curse that has granted his fellow man prosperity for the past several years. His personal quest is literally draining the land of life and peace.

The cause-and-effect cycle of each temple demon slaying is made more obvious for the anime. Tezuka never really showed any aftereffects from Hyakkimaru regaining each body part; and Kagemitsu's growing suspicions with each blessing lost is original.

Quote:
Mio deserved better.

Mio and the orphans still died in Tezuka's manga, so that's on the source. The anime just expanded the story out more (segment was pretty basic - Hyakkimaru meets Mio & orphans, starts having feelings for her, Mio & orphans killed by random violence-seeking soldiers, Hyakki kills soldiers, end of flashback. Plus no Dororo since this was before Hyakki met Dororo.).

Quote:
And that's what makes the next episode's dip into monster-fuckin' really jarring.

That episode is wholly anime-original, not directly adapting any parts of the source manga. Ohagi and Yajiro were never in the manga to begin with.

Overall, what helps is that so far MAPPA's add-ons are mostly thematically consistent with Tezuka's source. Too often anime-original content tends to miss the thematic mark with the source, leading to the assumption of "anime-originals are bad".
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:09 am Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
Quote:
MAPPA's current version is blowing many modern anime out of the water with its classic ingredients...The episode plots themselves do have a basic feel to them.

MAPPA's also adding their own twist and ingredients to Tezuka's (pretty) basic plotlines too. The episodes so far (save Ep 7) adapt from source manga chapters, but with additions and expansions to the story that enhance the experience further.

Overall, what helps is that so far MAPPA's add-ons are mostly thematically consistent with Tezuka's source. Too often anime-original content tends to miss the thematic mark with the source, leading to the assumption of "anime-originals are bad".
I heard someone say that this title was a bit of a transition for Tezuka, from his more slapstick titles to more serious storytelling, would you say that that is accurate?
Black Turtle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:22 pm Reply with quote
WTF is that way of writing an artictle. It gives everything but the will to read it...
-SP-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Can you please stop doing article in this format? I really don't think anyone likes them.
Wooga

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:37 am Reply with quote
funny how you can't think of Tezuka as making more mature works, when DMP seems hell bent on translating all of his darker grandiose works, when all I want is Kimba and 0-man.

I don't see Hyakkimaru as an edge-lord, he is pretty unassuming, he only kills to get back his humanity. He doesn't really seem to have any emotions or outlook on the world around him, and how can he if has no sense to experience it? He's almost a baby in that regard
Marzan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:35 am Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:
funny how you can't think of Tezuka as making more mature works, when DMP seems hell bent on translating all of his darker grandiose works, when all I want is Kimba and 0-man.

I don't see Hyakkimaru as an edge-lord, he is pretty unassuming, he only kills to get back his humanity. He doesn't really seem to have any emotions or outlook on the world around him, and how can he if has no sense to experience it? He's almost a baby in that regard

Agree with your take on Hyakkimaru. I have no idea how Nick came up with the edge-lord label.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2