• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Kemurikusa

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Environmental storytelling at it's best in display here.
There are various signs that humans lived for sometime around that big tree inside the wall barriers: https://twitter.com/Paninodesu/status/1098273016138645504
Talking about the walls, the connection with the Blue Kemurikusa is proven now.

The heat that Riku feels probably comes form Mt. Fuji: https://twitter.com/Paninodesu/status/1098222069014294528
And there's some structure past the volcano.

One puzzle that I liked to see solved was Rin's pink eye and steam from her fight against Nushi: https://twitter.com/Paninodesu/status/1098287628401684482
She was using the power of her "main body", probably the "core leaf" I had rambled about. But using that power comes with a high price.

All this is very good but really, what really makes Kemurikusa shines is the characters. All that information is good to know because it matters for the characters and their destinies. It's very enjoyable to just see them sit and talk, and is hard to describe when you see Rinas running happily in the background while Rin, Ritsu and Wakaba discuss how they all may die soon...

Panino Manino

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Can I say that the biggest mystery at this point is what happened with the water?
In the original 2012 version the bugs are seen vaporizing the water. It's what they did with the water in this version? And why?

Also, vaporized water is still water, so can we hope to see all the missing water raining back?
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
However, it has recently come to my attention...
Glad someone else finally brought that up (kemurikusa =/= marijuana BTW), it was the first thing I discovered a month ago and thanks to Panino Manino's post and the OP lyrics the links are solid and unmistakable. Unfortunately, I can't see any direct connection to the story at hand except by inference I shared last week...Also sad to say, but as much as I want to get something from this show, I'm having a really hard time caring about any of the characters the way some here are.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:37 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Unfortunately, I can't see any direct connection to the story at hand except by inference I shared last week...

Remember the Red Bug that almost killed one of the Rina in the first episode? That bug was modeled after a parasite that attacks tobacco plants.

When Wakaba was attacked in the first episode it was just after he had picked the blue kemurikusa that he had left activated in his pockets.

During the fight with Nushi in episode 4 it stopped scared of the kemurikusa that Wakaba had dropped.

It's a biological warfare here, some life form, some specific organism, type of plant, plague, is trying to conquer that world.
It's not without reason that the green kemurikusa is used as a weapon by Rin, tobacco it's nicotine can be used as pesticide.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I think I'm ready for them to take the vines off of Wakaba now. Smile

Yay, he's down to just a belt now! Laughing
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:09 am Reply with quote
About the "Captain".
Remember the crystals? With the leafs from the dead Sisters? That thing where they are is a captain hat. Probably from that ship on Island One?
And remember that Wakaba came from the water inside a big room on that ship?

Makes you think...
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:13 am Reply with quote
Well, finally the plot thickens a bunch but nothing clear yet.
Nimitz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Ryoku got sight, but she says she gave it to Rin, which is strange but not as strange as the revelation that Ryo and Ryoku are sharing the same body.

Has anyone else noticed that the only time the 'dead' sisters show up is when Rin is sleeping? Maybe Riku, Ryo and Ryoku left more than just their enhanced senses to Rin.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:05 am Reply with quote
^^^^

Didn't that final shot confirm that they are indeed sharing/ "saved by" the leaf in Rin? That one popped out for a moment then shows that Rin doesn't need to be sleeping for them to appear (although it probably helps) but Rin is completely unaware of anything.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nimitz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:23 pm Reply with quote
^ That's odd, I had absolutely no memory of that shot. I must be getting old. Confused
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:28 pm Reply with quote

The end is here.
Something to think about and don't forget.
There's a little scene where one of the Rina's seems to be looking and handling her leaf in her hand and talking with Ritsu while they walk with Midori. Latter one of the Rina's says that the leaf is fully charged.
I suspect that that leaf will play some role at the end with Rin and Wakaba.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I really loved the shot of the Rina's hanging out the window eavesdropping on the rooftop conversation. Very Happy And I also got a kick out of the accessing Rin's leaf bit. It was supposed to be awkward, but storytelling-wise, the only thing awkward about it was how they stalled out just before pressing on and then retreated to do this. But maybe Wakaba knew Rin wouldn't have agreed until she got a good look at what they were facing.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:16 am Reply with quote
It's about dang time, but Ep11 shows the kind of storytelling Tatsuki can do and why KF2 misses. If only he had structured this differently from the beginning the show could have been vastly better. So I guess Kemurikusa is just supposed to be a magic plant (or something), capable of organizing organic matter thus spoiler["resurrecting" dead things]. I get the impression that somebody heard about organic LEDs and 3D printing because those were definitely inspirations for spoiler[how the Kemurikusa work]. I'll laugh if it turns out that Wakaba has been putting on a "dumb" act all this time...
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:57 pm Reply with quote

Japari Park feelings.
Basically, Wakaba is an alien and his job is looking at the ruins of a dead civilization and creating lookalike copies for an exhibition for other aliens to go there and see a glance of what that planet had to offer in terms of culture.
That's all we know, how Steve said the flashback was about the characters, just to explain how the situation the characters are now happened, nothing more.

Yes, the Irodori's charm.
That scene with Wakaba smoking the Kemurikusa leaf, what it reminds me is a truck driver taking amphetamine to stay awake and continue the work.
And this leads to the reason all the tragedy happened, and how Wakaba dealt with that. Repeating myself, this is the type of thing anime should teach to kids: https://twitter.com/Paninodesu/status/1108446514710482944
And sorry about your theory Steve, for what I understood there's no one alive in the surface anymore. The planet is long dead.

Talking about theories, I have one.
Rina showing her Leaf fully charged MUST BE a "Checkov's Gun". Or one extra Rina will come back at the ending or she gave it to Wakaba without him noticing and he made a clone of himself already to escape the red root.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:57 pm Reply with quote
#Fim

So many people betting on which episode Ritsu spoiler[would die and she survived!
Tatsuki found a way and she knows Catfu!
Stop a second to think and realize that RITSU WAS THE REAL HEROINE.
She found the Midori branch, she toke care if it, gave her water to grow the tree, and it was that tree that bough Wakaba back to life.
And as I already said, she survived all the ordeal!]

There's so much to talk about, it's really amazing how everything made sense in the end and the staggering amount of details in every single episode. A lot of little innocent details and comments along the way that we only understand the meaning now.
Remember when Wakaba followed Shiro to that ship with the other robots and he asked where they where? Shiro responded "inside ship".
Yeah, THAT "ship".
Just an example, there's dozens and dozens.
I chose however to write a criticism, after all isn't perfect.

My only complaint is in this last episode and is the Red Tree design during the final battle.
Maybe there's some meaning in this design (it's a thorax right?) but it doesn't matter. It's ugly, kinda goofy, and not what had already been shown to us.
Why the change?
The simpler design, just a big red tangled trunk towering about the two disappearing in the sky while the branches attack and throw bugs could be much more menacing.
Why not keep this old design? It would even be easier to animate. Also, with the branches and bugs Rin and Wakaba could become overwhelmed by the superior numbers and then the dead sisters could come back to deal with it and allow an opening for Rin to finish the red tree, instead of them fighting directly.
Besides this, I have no other complaints.
And yeah, the animation during the fight was disappointing, but looks like a problem with lack of time to do better. From what I seen on Twitter Tatsuki and his team worked until the last minute do complete the episode and when everyone was losing their minds during and after the episode he was out, sleeping and now just want to rest for a time.
I wonder if he'll retouch the episode for the BDs...

[Edit]: added spoilers. Errinundra.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4