• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sirius the Jaeger (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:03 am Reply with quote

The action scene this week isn't actually the centrepiece of the episode for once. Some of the questions posed over the series get answered this week, the action set piece simply disposes of the mad scientist in a fairly comical fashion. For all the hot air and bluster, his creations aren't the brightest sparks ever and Yuliy's quick thinking quickly turns the tables on what initially looked like a very unfair fight.

So the Elder Vampires in the Kremlin were talking about the Plague which strikes mercilessly and randomly amongst those with vampire blood. If you don't have any knowledge of its nature and have no defences against its infection, it's easy to give up like the Elders did and wait for extinction. Evgraf's lust for immortality and the time it gives isn't about to let him roll over though, so no wonder he's so desperate for the treasure guarded by those he despises as inferior beings.

The soldier from last week certainly made it far from home when he met the residents of Dogville by chance. It seems his arrival catalysed the father's decision to make off with the treasure. Although Yuliy is the last descendant and royal to boot, it looks like the item the Professor and company found in the ruins might turn out to be handy towards the end of the series.

With that final scene, it looks like the endgame is fast approaching. Knowing Evgraf, he's probably just circling the general vicinity and will land immediately now that Yuliy has done the donkey work for him. If Bishop is some kind of sleeper agent, he's going to have to show his hand sooner rather than later.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:16 am Reply with quote

Trailer episode for next week effectively confirmed this week as the series' penultimate episode, so whatever budget is left over gets spent on this episode's fight scenes and next week's conclusion. Not as flashy as some of the set pieces of previous episodes, but it's no less entertaining and everything is set up nicely for the final event.

So the truth about Bishop is finally revealed. He told Yuliy a half-truth but the nose of the Sirius isn't fooled by mere sophistry. I have to give Yuliy credit for trusting him even though in episodes past he'd sworn to destroy every last vampire he could get his hands on, to be fair to Bishop he did his best and even managed to blow the head off one of the twins.

I'm wondering if those on the plane are going to shake off Yevgraf's bodyguard or get taken down in the process. For a big and silent type, he's more persistent than most.

The fraternal bond between the brothers is a strong one, but Mikail's probably paid too high a price to regain some autonomy over the binding contract. In the shape he's in and what Yevgraf has just done, Yuliy has to find some way to fly over to the blimp or there's no chance of victory.

天狼の匣 is the Kanji for the Legacy. Essentially another character for the commonly seen 箱 and with exactly the same meaning. Since it has absolutely nothing to do with mundane containers and is more a vessel than anything else, the translators must have been briefed by the animators on what exactly they were describing when they first mentioned this early in the series (it's an original work after all). Not many other alternatives to "Ark" though, especially when bringing to mind "Raiders of the Lost Ark" of Indiana Jones fame.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:22 pm Reply with quote

Final action set piece for the finale isn't bad, but some of the earlier scenes in the series were much better. Turns out the only way for Yuliy to board the blimp was with the professor's help, so viewers get the opportunity to see the brothers fight together for the first and final time. Interesting how Mikhail's passing didn't turn him into dust, makes me wonder how much of it was down to his part-Sirius heritage.

The old cliche that too much knowledge can be a bad thing is taken to an extreme here. Yevgraf wasn't up to holding the Legacy in check so he completely loses it. He's wasn't really beatable prior to this, so it's fair to say his obsession with the Ark is a deciding factor towards his eventual defeat. The surviving vampire twin is genuinely surprised at Yuliy's change of heart, but her fear of the vampire plague is enough to give Yuliy a chance to talk to the Elders. I wouldn't have expected this outcome based on the series start, but I suppose it's the only mindset Yuliy can take if he wants to stay in control and use the knowledge for what it was originally intended.

To really enjoy the series, it's probably best just to take things as they are and focus more on the visuals and action set pieces. The storyline itself may be original but the ideas behind it aren't. I don't know how effective it is at making an impression over the long run since nothing really stands out. As entertainment, it doesn't fail to impress but probably not the best idea to expect much beyond that.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:11 am Reply with quote
I really liked how Yuliy's tears became the tears Mikhail could no longer shed. I guess he didn't become an ash heap because Sparklebutt died first and sort of set him free. Even if it couldn't cure the disease and save his life, I like to think he died a Sirius in the end.

That was a decent series. It went places I didn't expect from the first few episodes, so it kept my interest. I don't see myself ever watching it again though. If there was another season, I'd probably watch it.
Anrisonahara011

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:21 pm Reply with quote
idk if people are still active here, but umh...am i the only one who is kind of annoyed by the kendo Naoe girl? cause like, idk. im usually fine with a character in shows that are supposed to be a love interest for someone or whatever but she just kind of...annoys me a lot?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:11 pm Reply with quote
No, you're not.
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I could do without Little Miss Getintheway altogether, even if she did put her training to use to dispatch a vampire. If she's going to be Action Girl, then yay, be that, but mixing that with "Oh my god, I don't know what I'm doing, but I'll risk my life just to be near Yuliy! Embarassed" is not working. At all.
Anrisonahara011

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
No, you're not.
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I could do without Little Miss Getintheway altogether, even if she did put her training to use to dispatch a vampire. If she's going to be Action Girl, then yay, be that, but mixing that with "Oh my god, I don't know what I'm doing, but I'll risk my life just to be near Yuliy! Embarassed" is not working. At all.

oh my god. thank you. same. I honestly feel like the show would be so much better without her at this point because the way I see it, She's just going to constantly get in the way of the others, and even if she does somewhat know how to fight, it's as exactly as you said. I like the show so far. its entertaining. the characters are cool and all that and the fighting is entertaining enough, but she just....needs to...back away. xD
Anrisonahara011

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Anrisonahara011 wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
No, you're not.
Gina Szanboti wrote:

oh my god. thank you. same. I honestly feel like the show would be so much better without her at this point because the way I see it, She's just going to constantly get in the way of the others, and even if she does somewhat know how to fight, it's as exactly as you said. I like the show so far. its entertaining. the characters are cool and all that and the fighting is entertaining enough, but she just....needs to...back away. xD

also, "Little Miss Getintheway" xD that's a good one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2