• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Domestic Girlfriend

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:20 am Reply with quote
So I think I need a scorecard. We are 6 episodes in and so far we have

girl who openly has a crush on MC after 2 eps - Momo;
girl who may be starting to have feelings, and also just happens to have already done it with MC, although with scientific detachment - Rui;
big step-sister, teacher, and fan-service type who is currently unattached, but has kissed MC - Hina;
club member literary type who is silent and withdrawn - Mui.

I thought this was just going to be a triangle. Laughing

I hope this has a clear ending in the anime, even if it's different from the manga. I don't want this taking forever. I do like the characters and the show so far, but it's like it's on a twisty mountain road - I can see a lot of places where it could just fall off.
KuroOkami

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:

I thought this was just going to be a triangle. Laughing

Triangle, not so much lol

Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:

I hope this has a clear ending in the anime, even if it's different from the manga. I don't want this taking forever. I do like the characters and the show so far, but it's like it's on a twisty mountain road - I can see a lot of places where it could just fall off.

Having read the 200+ chapters of the ongoing manga (and loving it), I would be extremely disappointed if they deviated from the original story just to tie up a nice ending for the anime.
With works this long, they all have various arcs, so I wouldn't mind if it ended at one of those to give some type of resolving closure. But to change it completely just for the sake of the anime would just be wrong (imho). There are tons of anime that just end when there is far more source material. When they do really well, that's how we get 2nd seasons. Most of the anime I know that have really deviated from there source material is because at the time of making the anime, it caught up to the source material and so they just filled in something, which usually does not go over to well (Tokyo Ghoul).
I used to feel very similarly in the fact that I wished more anime would have a more completed ending instead of being so open ended, but then I realized that most anime is treated as an advertisement for the original work. The old "hey, if you enjoyed this, check it out in it's original and complete format." That's when I started picking up more of the work in print (mostly digital to be honest).
KuroOkami

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait to see the review for this week. I'm expecting the reviewer to rip it to shreds.
Netero

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...he needs to find a healthier emotional outlet that doesn't involve criminal incest.

Criminal incest? Japan has no laws forbidding incest of any description, societal pressure being reckoned to be quite enough to prevent it (as Hina herself reminds him).
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Netero wrote:
Quote:
...he needs to find a healthier emotional outlet that doesn't involve criminal incest.

Criminal incest? Japan has no laws forbidding incest of any description, societal pressure being reckoned to be quite enough to prevent it (as Hina herself reminds him).

I was more specifically referring to their teacher/student relationship, and the fact that he's a minor.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Given the club advisor as well, I feel like this school has some pretty widespread issues with its ethics training.
-SP-

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

How is it incest if they aren't related by blood?
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:34 pm Reply with quote
-SP- wrote:
Quote:

Because they're step-siblings.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Considering this show has the same set up as Marmalade Boy, I never called any of this incest. It's convoluted as well as unlikely but once you start having to describe an act as "retroactive incest", you have to start setting some boundaries.

And regarding Hina's story about Shuu, how much of that was accurate and how much was for Natsuo's sake? "There was nothing between us when I was in high school but when I met back up with him when I was in college, I was surprised/shocked to see he was married."So many questions, so many missing details. Also, am I the only getting a picture being drawn of a high school affair? And not just of the Literary Club adviser and the club president....

Rui. She's cute. I got nothing else. If it wasn't for the whole "parents marrying thing", there'd be nothing legally or morally stopping them.... but EVEN THEN, their parents would easily get a divorce for their children's happiness. It'd be weird but I've seen weirder... that Marmalade Boy thing again...

And THAT... Doors. Doors close, they usually lock. I wouldn't fault her for the act but I will fault her for putting on a show. A really good show... for Shuu... What a terrible pun....
KuroOkami

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:03 pm Reply with quote
OK, a few things. First, Shuu is a science teacher, not the school physician, but no biggie. And most of the science teachers I know or have heard of have all had some kind of special quirk, so I guess ventriloquism works.

As for the beach scene, yes, you are right in the fact that there are probably better ways of going about it, but I think it is also a very effective and clear message to Natsuo. My other gripe is that you are assuming that Hina has zero attraction for Natsuo, when she can clearly show favoritism and affection towards hims on multiple occasions, no matter how innocent she may try to play it.

And finally, the DOOR. While I still don't think she did it on purpose, I do believe it was one of those accidentally Freudian slips. There is a little more to that scene than shown, but I don't want to spoil it in case they cover it next week.

As for Rui, she is your typically emotionally stunted robot her learning to deal with her emotions from the first guy she slept with. Just so happens that he ended up being her brother after the fact. But the deed is done, and those emotions aren't going away. But damn she's cute.

Overall, it's just a wonderful train wreck to watch. I can't stand all the 3D Li**time romance movies and the dime store paperbacks are even worse, but for some reason if you animate it and have a good author to write it, I just can't get enough.
KuroOkami

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:06 pm Reply with quote
James_Beckett wrote:
-SP- wrote:
Quote:

There is no law in Japan prohibiting non-blood related siblings from getting married. I'm not saying it's not frowned upon is society, but there's just no law that make it criminal. You are better off sticking with the student/teacher aspect as far as being criminal.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:18 pm Reply with quote
KuroOkami wrote:
James_Beckett wrote:
-SP- wrote:
Quote:

There is no law in Japan prohibiting non-blood related siblings from getting married. I'm not saying it's not frowned upon is society, but there's just no law that make it criminal. You are better off sticking with the student/teacher aspect as far as being criminal.

Yeah, that's what I was saying. It's incest because of the...well, the incest, and it's criminal because she's an adult who is also his teacher.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Given the club advisor as well, I feel like this school has some pretty widespread issues with its ethics training.

Ethics training is only as good as the audience that receives it. As a military retiree, I am still amazed at the sheer number of military personnel taken down each year due to violations of ethical nature. Just goes to show that love and lust is a far more powerful foe.
Alph4Xerxes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:39 pm Reply with quote
James_Beckett wrote:
KuroOkami wrote:

Yeah, that's what I was saying. It's incest because of the...well, the incest, and it's criminal because she's an adult who is also his teacher.

Incest definition:
Quote:
The crime of sexual relations or marriage taking place between a male and female who are so closely linked by blood or affinity that such activity is prohibited by law.

(source: https://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/incest)

So if it's not illegal, such as in Japan (or interestingly in the case of step-siblings, most countries), then it isn't technically incest.

Also I get what you were trying to say, but I agree with the others: in the context, it's very difficulty to come to the conclusion that you were referring to their teacher/student status rather than their step-sibling status, so I would suggest editing it to be more clear.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Ahh, Alex.

You'll love his next major moment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6