• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Potential downvoting in the daily reviews?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RenRen94

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Hi everybody! I hope I'm posting this in the right place, but here goes...

I'm not quite sure if my theory is correct, but I'm suspecting foul play with the community scores for some of the daily reviews. I've noticed this with the latest batch of reviews because I don't have much time to read a full review and will come back to it later. For example:

A few days ago (at least as far back as Saturday night), the latest ep of Banana Fish had a score of 4.6, and yesterday it had dropped to 4.0 (as of this writing it's sitting at 4.1). Considering the reviewer's thoughts (she gave it an A+) and comments from other ANN folks, people seem to be enjoying the show, so the sudden drop was somewhat alarming.

Other instances for generally highly rated shows include:
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind: the latest ep is sitting at 3.8, with the reviewer giving it an A-. I don't actually watch the show, so unless there's some disconnect between the reviewer and the community, or the episodes have suddenly gotten slow for some people, my theory could just be speculation.

Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai: for a show I've heard very good things about and seems to do well in the rankings each week, 3.4 is a reviewer score of B+ is a little low. Again, I don't watch the show, so it could be a slow/setup episode.

Run with the Wind has been a consistent show, but the community scores from the last two episodes are 3.6 and 3.7, with the reviewer giving both eps a B+.

Now there is one show that is doing the opposite of what I'm noticing: Tokyo Ghoul:re Season 2. When the show has had incoherent episodes as discussed by the reviewer and given a C or C+, and isn't being talked about much in the comments section, the community score somehow has a score in the 4.4 range. The latest episode has a score of 4.6 at this time. I'm just finding it odd that Tokyo Ghoul:re Season 2 is the highest rated show, yet at the bottom for rankings each week, while some of the top shows of the season are suddenly seeing lower scores this week. It's just strange to me.

This post isn't just some fan worrying that her beloved shows aren't getting the love they deserve. This could all just be a strange coincidence or a slow week for some shows to set up the good stuff for the following week. But everything is just too coincidental.

Has anyone else noticed this too? I'd really like to know if I'm just being paranoid or not.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's a topic that comes back all the time. We have anti-spam measures but only when computing the weekly rankings. So the bad votes stay in the community score and it looks weird like that. I'll see at some point if I can change the procedure to clean the community score as well, but I can't say it's a very high priority.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1