• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New Intrusive ads on site!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I been seeing a lot more ads then normally on the site and I have started getting the intruding pop up ads on the site... can this please get fixed... I have a screenshot on my phone if the Troublesome ads but will have to be later when I can get to my computer to upload and post it... it is quite frustrating navigating the site now and I am getting pissed off with the ads interrupting me while I am typing this post up! I will send a pic to the @Anime account on Twitter!
roxybudgy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Seconded, I noticed an increase in ads yesterday and I have a habit of scrolling down far enough to no longer see the ad before reading (because they are often annoyingly animated) but after scrolling far enough I come across another ad and keep scrolling while only skimming the article. I now find myself not bothering to read articles because there are too many ads.

Feels like there is an ad every 1-2 paragraphs in articles, and every 3-5 posts in the forums (edit: oh look, an ad between the first post and mine). Highly distracting, especially when it's the same few ads over and over again, makes me want to specifically avoid the companies that are advertising.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:29 pm Reply with quote
roxybudgy wrote:
Seconded, I noticed an increase in ads yesterday and I have a habit of scrolling down far enough to no longer see the ad before reading (because they are often annoyingly animated) but after scrolling far enough I come across another ad and keep scrolling while only skimming the article. I now find myself not bothering to read articles because there are too many ads. Feels like there is an ad every 1-2 paragraphs in articles, and every 3-5 posts in the forums. Highly distracting.

I logged into the site from my computer as it felt all normal... but it was the mobile version of the site that was being extremely bothersome with the CONSTANT pop up ad that I had screenshot and uploaded to twitter... direct post is in link below

https://twitter.com/sevokevo/status/1097973332157308928?s=21
Animerican14

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, these intrusive ads have been happening on at least the mobile site for me too. I completely concur with the first post. Glad to see it's not happening just on my end, if that means that maybe this issue can get more seriously addressed soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Those are 100% against our policy.... but the screenshot doesn't tell me where they are coming from. If you see them again, please use the "report a problem" link. That feature will give us logs from your visit and help us find the source of the ads.
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Those are 100% against our policy.... but the screenshot doesn't tell me where they are coming from. If you see them again, please use the "report a problem" link. That feature will give us logs from your visit and help us find the source of the ads.

Those ads where popping up all day that day while I was on the site and in the forums trying to type it up... the day after that they stopped but I did still have the new ads popping up at the very bottom of the site... yesterday I still had the ads at the bottom of the site but as I am typing this... it has not shown up. All this only being effected on the Mobile version of the site... not the Desktop version.

EDIT: I take back on what I said that the ad at the very bottom of the site has disappeared! It has popped back up.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I really, absolutely need you to use the report a problem link. Ads are displayed hundreds of different ways on ANN, and I don't know what ad networks/platforms are being shown to you.

I absolutely want to fix the problem, but I don't have the information required.

On mobile, the "report a problem" link is at the top of the page, it's the middle icon, after Facebook.
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
I really, absolutely need you to use the report a problem link. Ads are displayed hundreds of different ways on ANN, and I don't know what ad networks/platforms are being shown to you.

I absolutely want to fix the problem, but I don't have the information required.

On mobile, the "report a problem" link is at the top of the page, it's the middle icon, after Facebook.

Ahh so that’s where the button is.

I have reported what I could but as for the Pop up ad I had when I first submitted this thread... I am not sure which one to use to get that Trace started.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:28 am Reply with quote
I'm seeing huge amounts of mid-article/mid-thread banner ads too. It's happened before in the recent past, though there was a period of time when it let up. I'll use the report a problem function on a page or two if it'll help.
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:46 am Reply with quote
I CONTINUE to keep getting the redirects this morning making IMPOSSIBLE to access the site OR EVEN SEND IN ANY REPORTS on the issue. When it finally stops redirecting me.. I am finally able to report it.. BUT now I can't even report it because the Ads at the very bottom of the site keeps interfeering with the pop up window. I previously had to go into the forums for that ad at the bottom of the site disappear so I can report but now I can't even do that.

Going to my Desktop at home won't work either because when I tried to report it... It was missing the Previous pages I accessed from my phone.

Desktop Version works perfectly with no issues but I am officially fed up with the mobile version of the site with the INTRUDING ADS. Please get this fix ASAP
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Okay, we got them fixed for you, but hopefully the information you provided will help us keep those ads from targeting another user.

The ad-network also recommended you delete cookies and close all Safari sessions. It's likely that you are "sessioned into" a targeted ad, which is why it keeps coming back to you.
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Okay, we got them fixed for you, but hopefully the information you provided will help us keep those ads from targeting another user.

The ad-network also recommended you delete cookies and close all Safari sessions. It's likely that you are "sessioned into" a targeted ad, which is why it keeps coming back to you.

This was also what I did when it all first started. I clear it up again.
roxybudgy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Something else that I've noticed which is highly annoying is that some of the ads disappear after a few seconds. So after having to scroll far down to read the article/forum post, which has 3-5 (sometimes more) ads between each paragraph/post, the ads disappear and the article/posts all shift upwards, meaning I now have to scroll back up to continue reading, often losing my place and having to re-read bits to figure out where I was before all the text shifted.

Currently this is only an issue when I browse the site at work, where I'm forced to use Chrome or IE without ad-blocker. I can tolerate a few ads here and there, and accept that websites need ads to survive, but too many ads that behave in an annoying way that interferes with reading the content on a website... that's why ad blockers are so popular.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:00 pm Reply with quote
So is there any update on this? The site's still an ad-infested mess on both desktop and mobile; in fact there's a permanent banner ad at the bottom of the main page on mobile (Chrome) that obscures a decent chunk of what's already limited screen real estate. I used the report a problem form for the desktop version, and I submitted a few screenshots in a follow-up email as requested, but that was a few weeks ago now, and there's been nothing since then.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:11 am Reply with quote
I've made changes that should improve the experience somewhat. The ads will be spaced a bit more and on desktop the rectangles should be displayed side-by side, at least some of the time.

And remember there's always the subscription to turn off ads! Just 1$/month!!! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2