• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: America's Sci Fi Channel Adds Anime on Tuesdays

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Actually they showed The Guyver early in the mornig a few weeks ago as well. I remember flipping through and that is what I fell asleep to. But I had to turn it off because I couldn't stop laughing.

On a serious note, I hope they put Zeiram on one day.

Hopefully this increase in schedule space will also translate into an increase in catalog.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Busaiku Chama

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
four episodes of Hellsing Ultimate on February 11 and 18

I'm assuming this is a typo and it's actually the TV series?
If not, than I am intrigued.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Busaiku Chama wrote:
Quote:
four episodes of Hellsing Ultimate on February 11 and 18

I'm assuming this is a typo and it's actually the TV series?
If not, than I am intrigued.

According to Starz, they'll be the four episodes of the Hellsing Ultimate video series.
Roy9076

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Huh, looks like my DVR is going to record more than I thought. Ani-Tuesday xD
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Oh....yeah!!! Twisted Evil I'm glad they're airing more anime. It actually feels like cable's worth the cost.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Have to laugh at STARZ and SciFi actually competing against itself in the end. But for those of us who have seen what is on one channel or the other, its nice to see something new.
Lemwon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Wonder if Sci-Fi will have a catchy name for this block too; Ani-Tuesday sounds pretty lame at present. Razz

Most of the extra showings on "Ani-Tuesday" aren't things I was planning on seeing, but I'll probably end up watching most of them. If it's already on, why not?
Splitter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:31 pm Reply with quote
It looks like Ani-Monday was a success. Nice.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:12 pm Reply with quote
ya more anime only if they will make all 5 days of anime on sci-fi then i will not have to watch Adult Swim ever again on weekday
MageofFire

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Hmm is the fourth episode of Hellsing Ultimate out? If it isn't oh well I have the manga up to volume 8 to satisfy myself with until episode 4 does come out...
Shaterri

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:59 pm Reply with quote
What was controversial about The Guyver? God-awful, possibly one of the dozen worst films I've seen, yes... but controversial?
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Actually they showed The Guyver early in the mornig a few weeks ago as well. I remember flipping through and that is what I fell asleep to. But I had to turn it off because I couldn't stop laughing.

Yep, I ended up watching the last half. Horrible movie but fun to watch and the Guyver costume is actually quite cool.

I haven't watched Appleseed in over 10 years (probably closer to 13), definitely something I'll want to catch.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:26 pm Reply with quote
MageofFire wrote:
Hmm is the fourth episode of Hellsing Ultimate out?

No its not. Clearly this is a mistake. I believe the is either out or soon to be released in Japan. However, with the state Geneon it is currently on indefinite hiatus here.

There is no way they could be airing it. They must either mean just the 3 episodes or perhaps the signature series.
Raoh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Generally, the first Guyver movie wasn't that great. I mean, in terms of how it portrayed The Guyver itself (the suit, not the character behind it), and the Zoanoids, that was pretty accurate. Everything else sucked.

The promotion for the movie was horrible, too (Especially the part about putting Mark Hamill on the cover, and insinuating he was playing the role of The Guyver, when in fact he did not.

The second Guyver movie was considerably better. Although it is still not an amazing piece of cinematic glory, it made the first one look alot worse. Not to mention it had David Hayter as the role of Sean Barker. Yes, the same David Hayter who does the voice of Solid Snake, aswell as the same David Hayter who wrote the screenplays for both the X-men and X2 movies, in addition to working on the forthcoming Watchmen movie.

But, lets seriously be honest.

How many people here even watch or read Guyver?

I mean, seriously, I am a fan of it, but I know not alot of other people are. A non-fan can watch these movies and will probably hate them.

A fan can watch them and enjoy the fact that at least The Guyver suit itself was done properly (to the best of their ability, at the time).

I, personally, always thought a third movie should be made, just to introduce Guyver III and have him fight Guyver I. But, thats just because I wanna see a live action Guyver III, whether it be Agito Makishima, or not.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I have no idea what the deal is with the Hellsing series since I haven't kept up with it since the beginning. But I thought I'd mention that anything is possible especially with the way Karas turned out recently. The USA DVD release, the Sci-Fi channel showing, and the Japanese DVD release all occured pretty much simultaneously (we actually got it first, amazingly enough).

And bahaha I thought Guyver was a decent movie. It had Luke Skywalker in it (too bad he wasn't the Guyver himself) and a cool Guyver costume, and less-cool-looking-but-at-least-funny-enough-to-make-you-laugh bad guy monster costumes. And silly rubber suit fighting action. Not a masterpiece achievement but wasn't it a laughably entertaining cheesy show? I'd much rather watch shows like The Guyver than 95% of the random movies out today that deal with...uh, I'm not sure what most movies are about but they are boring as heck I'm pretty sure. Anything without monsters, ninjas, superheroes, aliens, mutant turtles, etc, or at least big eye anime girls in it doesn't appeal to me. I'll never watch any movie that has only boring real people in it.

Hm? I never knew there was a second Guyver movie, cool. I doubt I'd go out of my way to watch it but if it were free on TV I'd certainly tune in. How is the Guyver anime series by the way? I'd seen the OAVs long ago and thought they were good (though I no longer remember what they were like in the slightest). But the TV series pics and trailers look really cheap so I haven't been willing to take the risk on buying the series. Plus, the only other recent OLM production I've bought was Phantom Blade Shin Angyo Onshi, and that was totally awful and cheap-looking. Looks just like the pictures on the Guyver DVDs. I was hoping that Phantom Blade was gonna prove me wrong and allow me to buy The Guyver but instead the opposite happened.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3