• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unpopular anime opinions.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:08 am Reply with quote
Sesta wrote:
I for one like mindless Isekai series and harems.

If this were an unpopular opinion, they'd have stopped making them long ago. Razz I too enjoy a good harem or isekai. All you need to get me to like a harem is to make the protagonist an interesting character. The girls being interesting helps, but it's okay if they're one-dimensional pieces of wish-fulfillment so long as the guy feels real. In other words, I think Clannad and Kanon work better than, say, Tenchi in Tokyo or Fushigi Yuugi (main girl instead of guy, but you get the point).

Here's my unpopular opinion. FMA 2003 is dumb. The first half has a lot of dumb filler episodes (fake Elrics and Phantom Thief were terrible), but is otherwise actually very good. Once it diverges from the manga... Dante is a garbage villain, the homunculi being failed human transmutations isn't really explored enough to be interesting (seriously, Envy turning out to be Ed's half-brother went nowhere and did nothing meaningful), Alphonse often acts a little TOO stupid out of kindness and naivete, and there are so many potentially interesting plot points that are unique to this anime adaptation but go nowhere.

If you want an example of some plot points that go nowhere... Roy killing Winry's parents (zero closure on that), Envy turning out to be Hohenheim and Dante's child (I don't even know WHY transforming shocked Ed enough for him to let himself get killed, that could've just been any other random face Envy was imitating FFS), the identities of the homunculi in life (aside from Sloth and Wrath, they never go into detail on any of the others or exactly what motivates them to follow Dante), honestly, I could go on.

This isn't to say that there aren't any merits to FMA 2003. I don't think that it's so bad that it's unworthy of viewing. Just that I might lower my score from a 9 or 10 to... like, a 7.5.

Oh, and before I forget. Could any hardcore FMA 2003 defenders please Frank Archer's character for me? Like, tell me how this was a good inclusion to the series. Better yet, tell me why cyborg Frank Archer isn't the dumbest thing on the planet.
UltimateEye

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:56 am Reply with quote
When it comes to fanservice appreciation, I'm the only person I know of who doesn't appreciate trashy underboob and butt cleavage. It makes me long for the days of tasteful bikini service in anime.
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Only an unpopular opinion to part of the YOI fandom, but I'm currently not all that enthusiastic about the Ice Adolescence movie. I'm glad to see more Yuri!!! on Ice content being made, and I'll definitely see the movie, but trailers haven't shown me anything that I'm dying to see.

I admit, I'm a bit of a Yuuri stan, so the lack of anything Yuuri lowers my enthusiasm. From what it sounds like, he's in the movie, I just don't know to what capacity yet. There are so many different ways this movie could go that I'm holding off judgment until more information comes out.

It's not that I dislike Victor. I do want to find out more about him and learn about his past (which is all that has been featured in the trailers), but that comes secondary to correcting some issues that I still have with the ending of the series. Namely, Yuuri finally getting a gold medal and having a gorgeously animated routine.

I am still salty over the fact that Welcome to the Madness was fully animated with the best animation the franchise has seen yet. And while the show did its best with animating Yuuri's routines, they still don't look as good as Victor's Stammi Vicino Aria in the first episode nor Yurio's WttM routine. I'm happy with what I got in the series, but I still want more.

If the Ice Adolescence movie only contains gorgeously animated routines from Victor's past, I'm going to be so f***ing salty you don't even know.

My ideal movie scenario? That it takes place during the Winter Olympics with flashbacks to Victor's past to his previous Olympics. We also find out more about Victor's past and what his family situation is like. And he reflects on his history up until this point where he's competing for gold against Yuuri. And Yuuri wins the gold medal with his gorgeously animated routine. (And then they share a kiss and confirm they need to plan their wedding now, yadda yadda, shipper fantasies). That would solve everything! I'd be totally happy with this movie!

Whatever, it's fine, I can be mature about this. I'm sure I'll enjoy what comes out, but I'm currently hesitant with my enthusiasm.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:58 pm Reply with quote
80-85% of anime is garbage. We're only here for the good stuff, but the real good anime only makes up 10-20% of all anime ever made at most.

Most Shoujo that tries to tell an epic story falls flat.

Owari no Seraph's first episode was by far the best thing about the show. After Yuu leaves the Human Meat Plant/Orphanage, the show just becomes generic shounen dribble.

There is no fight in Naruto Shippuden that comes close to any of the best fights in the original.

Dragonball is better than Dragonball Z.

Characters don't require development to be considered good.

Rating shows by adding up scores for multiple attributes is stupid (animation, music, voice acting, art, etc.). The only thing that matters is how much you personally enjoyed a show.

Oreimo isn't actually THAT bad. In fact, it's a very good show if you ignore the ending.

Tokyo Ghoul's anime was always a horribly flawed mistake. The fact that they kept going instead of rebooting it is insulting.

Black Butler's anime was never good until Book of Circus.

There is no shame in enjoying harem/fanservice shows, and liking any anime says nothing about the viewer's stance on politics or social issues.

5/10 shouldn't be "average." It should be the lowest score the viewer considers to be acceptable for the average anime. In other words, generic harem that you feel nothing toward shouldn't be a 5/10. Fun anime that you probably wouldn't rewatch or think about again should be a 5/10.

Liking anime with incest, lolicon, shotacon, gore, weird fetishes, or whatever else should be celebrated. Razz We all have our quirks.
UltimateEye

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:39 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
There is no shame in enjoying harem/fanservice shows, and liking any anime says nothing about the viewer's stance on politics or social issues.

Well said. It's too bad that so many people jump to conclusions, because sometimes fantasy is just that. And in more seriously-minded anime, often dealing with characters' multiple viewpoints, it's foolish to assume that the viewer automatically agrees with a certain ideology presented over another in the same show.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:56 am Reply with quote
^

Remember when Fox News was making a big deal about how The Lego Movie's villain was supposedly a metaphor for big businesses? They were trying to shame the movie for trying to brainwash kids into hating big businesses and it only made them look stupid. That's basically what people who insult fandoms for enjoying shows they disagree with are doing.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Fanservice annoys the ever living ribosomes out of me, as well as isekai stories.

Hinomaru Zumou was freaking awesome.

People need to watch more sports stories.

There.
guildmaster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
Fanservice annoys the ever living ribosomes out of me, as well as isekai stories.

Hinomaru Zumou was freaking awesome.

People need to watch more sports stories.

There.

Nobody is forcing you to watch any.

Live sports events, Ok. Anime sports stores, no thanks.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:32 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
liking any anime says nothing about the viewer's stance on politics or social issues.

The entirely positive reactions to this indicate that it's not an unpopular opinion at all, so let me further prove my point by saying (almost) the exact opposite:

There is most definitely correlation between people's political views and the anime they watch; though some cases are more obvious, or more controversial, than others. Of course, there are hardly any cases where you can say "person X must have political stance Y because they watch anime Z" but, statistically, people are more likely to enjoy something that matches how they see the world, and more likely to hate something that doesn't. No one is immune to this (nor should they be). In my experience, this is especially true of people who insist that they don't take entertainment too seriously, or people who call themselves "rational."

But I do agree that harem/fanservice shows aren't (necessarily) evil. Sex/romance fantasies are a perfectly normal thing for people to have.

Back on the topic of things most people don't think: The vast majority of action/battle scenes are boring. They're overused as a source of drama and suspense which is, ironically, usually predictable, and often amounts to characters beating each other up as a stand-in for a verbal argument. But mainly the problem is that I don't have the unnamed brain-gland that makes action scenes orgasmically exciting. So their appeal makes very little sense to me.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:44 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
But mainly the problem is that I don't have the unnamed brain-gland that makes action scenes orgasmically exciting. So their appeal makes very little sense to me.

It's called the Michael Bay gland. Wink
Heishi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:34 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:

Liking anime with incest, lolicon, shotacon, gore, weird fetishes, or whatever else should be celebrated. Razz We all have our quirks.

Even ones with muscular women falling for shoutas while shoutas fall for muscular women?
Including just muscle women anime?
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 12:54 am Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
louis6578 wrote:

Even ones with muscular women falling for shoutas while shoutas fall for muscular women?
Including just muscle women anime?

Sure, why not? It's all fiction with no real life consequences. Hell, if you enjoy anime about murderers, it's fine because no one's getting hurt in reality. The same goes for if you like anime about child molesters, adultxchild romances, and other taboo subjects. Just as long as your interest in the forbidden doesn't extend to reality.

Animation and illustrated art in general should be a tool to explore the forbidden. If an individual wants to only see sanitized things, that's fine too, but they shouldn't forbid others from seeing what they want out of the medium.
Heishi

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 6:33 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Sure, why not? It's all fiction with no real life consequences. Hell, if you enjoy anime about murderers, it's fine because no one's getting hurt in reality. The same goes for if you like anime about child molesters, adultxchild romances, and other taboo subjects. Just as long as your interest in the forbidden doesn't extend to reality.

Animation and illustrated art in general should be a tool to explore the forbidden. If an individual wants to only see sanitized things, that's fine too, but they shouldn't forbid others from seeing what they want out of the medium.

I'll keep that in mind when someone accuses me of being a creep for liking certain things like female muscle x feminine shota romance or loli x loli yuri.
If something like UzaMaid exists and its okay, then we need a shota equivalent.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Yeah. Seriously, nothing to be ashamed of. People will call you a "creep" for liking a lot of things. Hell, in high school people called me a "fag" for liking Shiki just because they'd look up the promotional art and see that Natsuno is laying down and looking somewhat bishounen. People are quick to judge, especially if it's a fetish-show that's not their fetish.
Furwerk studios

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:51 pm Reply with quote
1. I hate dubs, but wouldn't care if they existed if nearly every time it's brought up nearly every poster is "you like subs! Purist filth!"

2. The '90 percent is garbage" is garbage in and of itself because the ONLY way it would work is if EVERYONE agrees and enjoys the exact same thing 100 percent.

3. I rather have invincible heroes that always win over broken, defeated pathetic "heroes" that just is taking up space.

4. A villain doesn't need an excuse to be evil, sometimes people realize they are just evil and reveal in it.

5. Boobs and butts are not from the devil.

6. This has to be the biggest one, not everything from the West is a Cascades of golden wonderfulness that dazzles the mind.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 74 of 84