• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Domestic Girlfriend

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:51 pm Reply with quote
So, curiously, while things have been pretty faithful so far, aside from the decision to either cut or tone down many of the comedic elements, a string of several chapters was strangely skipped, of which several things of note occur. One of which is a visit to Miu's house, but more importantly is a tiny little field trip arc, which include scenes that make the sudden revelation of Hina having feelings for Natsuo a bit more believable and less out of nowhere.

For one thing, spoiler[a conversation between Kiriya and Hina revealing that Shuu had just recently finished filing divorce papers with his wife, which doesn't get much of a response from Hina. And immediately after we're given a short moment of Hina being weirdly intimate, more than a mere sister should, and caressing a passed out Natsuo. When Natsuo wakes up, she immediately berates herself for seemingly going back on what she had told him on that beach and asks him to forget what she just did. Plus there's other moments which show just how differently she's been acting around him in general. Also, unrelated, a confession from Rui.]

We've so rarely gotten into her head that it does feel a bit cheap, but on the other hand it also means we've never really known what she was thinking. So while I wish more had happened before this point, I can still buy it. She strikes me as a confused person who doesn't really understand *what* she wants, unlike Rui who absolutely wants to do the diddly with her onii-chan and knows it.

I'm just worried that a lot's gonna end up being skipped over in favor of reaching a suitable climax and endpoint.

FilthyCasual wrote:
Ahh, Alex.

You'll love his next major moment.

Shh, that's for later. Assuming it happens that is.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:22 am Reply with quote
Hina just absolutely bears all the hallmarks of a responsible adult, from staying home to live with her mother because she was worried about her mother living alone with her other daughter... all that irresponsible stuff she did with Shuu and her drinking habit, well, when in Rome... I mean that was how Hina expressed her concern about her mother... by being a ... problem child? Where was I? Acting like an adult versus being one, yes. How could I forget. So, yes, masturbation... wait, I need to check my notes, that can't be right....

James, you can keep saying Hina is an adult but until she starts acting like one and not an overgrown college/high school student, I will continue to think you're full of... bias.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:34 am Reply with quote
I don't think he is full of bias, but rather a different audience for the show. Western anime fandom is fractured along social faultlines. He is looking at the show differently, and wanting something that he isn't seeing.
KuroOkami

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Along the lines of Hina's affection for Natsuo. I didn't want to bring this up last time because I thought the next episode might explain it, but since they seem to be skipping a bit, I guess I will put it here with a tag I can't remember exactly where it is and I couldn't find it in the manga, but spoiler[There is a conversation between Hina and Natsuo were they discuss him having caught Hina masturbating and calling out Shuu name. Hina explains that she was trying to do that to not think about Natsuo because her emotions for him where becoming to much to handle/ignore.]
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:40 pm Reply with quote
KuroOkami wrote:
Along the lines of Hina's affection for Natsuo. I didn't want to bring this up last time because I thought the next episode might explain it, but since they seem to be skipping a bit, I guess I will put it here with a tag I can't remember exactly where it is and I couldn't find it in the manga, but spoiler[There is a conversation between Hina and Natsuo were they discuss him having caught Hina masturbating and calling out Shuu name. Hina explains that she was trying to do that to not think about Natsuo because her emotions for him where becoming to much to handle/ignore.]

If the anime is gonna end on where I suspect it might end on, this conversation will come up later for sure. Or should anyway.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
...which is also where my biggest issues with the episode come to light.

At the festival, Natsuo repeatedly tries to confront Hina about what she saw and how he feels about her in an uncomfortably aggressive way that the show never pushes back against hard enough. He's so insistent on forcing the conversation that she straight up has to bite him to get him to let go of her, and eventually Masaki has to grab hold of Hina and force her to sit down and talk her feelings out with Natsuo, who's giving his supremely frustrating dumb puppy-dog stare the whole time.

This is a problem mainly because Hina doesn't owe Natsuo any kind of explanation for her choices. She's an adult who's removing herself from an unhealthy situation, yet the show doesn't frame Natsuo as being in the wrong.

I don't agree with James regarding his need for the show to go out of its way to tell us one character is acting inappropriately. Although it is clearly not his intention, his demand for any given show to be framed in a moralist fashion comes up as condescending and insulting to the intelligence of the viewer, I believe everyone watching this series is enough of a big boy and girl and can conclude by themselves whether they agree with a character's action or not, just as he has just proven himself when writing his opinion on the reviews.

now this
Quote:
This is a problem mainly because Hina doesn't owe Natsuo any kind of explanation for her choices

I don't hold any issue with James opinion in this matter but I want to challenge it with my own. Naturally Hina has every right to decide what to do with her life, but that doesn't mean she doesn't has any moral obligation with the people she was living with. you know, at this point she has been living with the guy for more than a couple months. these might be just the values I was raised with, but the moment some one else is cooking you dinner and doing your laundry (to state just a few examples) the least you owe them is having a real conversation about why you are leaving home.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:04 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Hina just absolutely bears all the hallmarks of a responsible adult, from staying home to live with her mother because she was worried about her mother living alone with her other daughter... all that irresponsible stuff she did with Shuu and her drinking habit, well, when in Rome... I mean that was how Hina expressed her concern about her mother... by being a ... problem child? Where was I? Acting like an adult versus being one, yes. How could I forget. So, yes, masturbation... wait, I need to check my notes, that can't be right....

James, you can keep saying Hina is an adult but until she starts acting like one and not an overgrown college/high school student, I will continue to think you're full of... bias.

James has never said that Hina is an example of an ideal mature adult, quite the opposite he continues to bring up how much he disapproves of her action, are we even reading the same reviews?. so far, every time he has addressed her as an adult is in regard to what it is expected for her to do in a given situation, not as a title he has granted her upon her accomplishments.

also, you seem to hold issue with calling Hina an Adult. to that I say, What is even an adult? is it a state one reaches after obtained a set amount of maturity? if so who gets to decide how much someone has to had mature upon a given age? if that were the case, depending who you ask the vast majority of the people in the planet would have a failing grade, or on the other end of the spectrum if the average person were then an adequate adult it would render the title meaningless for they have only lived 1/4 of their life, how remarkable would the maturity they have reached until then be, if they still have another 3/4 of their lives to keep maturing. or does one become an adult when they start paying their own bill to their full extent? or is it after one has had sex for the first time? or does one become an adult by getting married and starting their own family?. at the end of the day the word adult can mean anything to anyone, the only definition we must universally agree on is the legal one "one becomes an adult at the set age where the government start holding you fully liable for your actions instead of you parents" in that regard Hina is absolutely an adult.
proper1420

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:45 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

I largely, if not entirely, agree with your assessment of Hina, but I think you are misconstruing what James wrote in this particular review. Hina tried to do the "adult" thing in this episode and distance herself from Natsuo, but her effort was thwarted by Kobayashi, and the time the story devotes to Kobayashi's criticism of Hina gives an impression that it may be endorsing that criticism.

However, I'd say to James that, while one may have a favorable impression of Kobayashi after his "follow your heart" conversation with Rui in episode 6, don't forget his absurd advice in episode 3 that Natsuo "...give (Hina) a slap on both cheeks, then embrace her with a deep kiss..." or his treatment of Rui and Natsuo's confrontation with Hina and Hagiwara in episode 4 as an entertainment. I doubt that Kobayashi serves as the author's mouthpiece in this story. I'd also suggest that the story infantilizes Hina with the lollipop immediately before her implicit confession, indicating that the confession was an immature thing to do.

(Also, the anime changed the reason Hina walked from Natsuo; in the manga her reason was more peevish, which may explain why her defense against Kobayashi's criticism was so weak.)
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I really like this series, it is just a shame that it is lacking so much on the technical department. could definitively use more actual animation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:40 pm Reply with quote
"I'm always down for more Alex shenanigans." Cue the John Cena are you sure about that meme.
Gohanangered

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I guess i end up repeating myself in other comments. But i don't care at this point. This site keeps getting people who don't like a genre or just bad reviewers in general to review stuff. It gets old and makes me sad this is one of the top anime review sites. If i could make my own site at this point i would. The reviews on this site come off as bias way too much in general. Also at least i would like some of the reviewers that review actually follow source material reading of what the anime is based off of as well. Especially since you can get a bigger picture in general of what the author is trying to tell story wise.
Gohanangered

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I guess i end up repeating myself in other comments. But i don't care at this point. This site keeps getting people who don't like a genre or just bad reviewers in general to review stuff. It gets old and makes me sad this is one of the top anime review sites. If i could make my own site at this point i would. The reviews on this site come off as bias way too much in general. Also at least i would like some of the reviewers that review actually follow source material reading of what the anime is based off of as well. Especially since you can get a bigger picture in general of what the author is trying to tell story wise.
Gohanangered

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:18 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:09 pm Reply with quote
2 of the major issues you've presented are definitely more of a problem with the adaptation, namely the Literature Club feeling pointless and the complete lack of genuine sex appeal in the show. At this point in the manga, the club had already been on a field trip for several chapters, and the cultural festival, which has been condensed into a 2 minute montage in the anime, was pretty much it's own sort of arc with a subplot that actually develops Kiriya more than he ever had been prior. The You Hasekawa reveal happened during that too, so I question what the point was of just abruptly shoving it in here when there's gonna be zero payoff for it until season two, which almost certainly isn't gonna happen with how much has been glossed over or skipped.

The sexiness (or lack thereof) is a much more notably quality in the manga with A. much better art and B. Things didn't drag on and on. Even if you don't find the manga much better as far as being sexy goes, you can just skim through that stuff and it'll be over in a few seconds.

As far as Natsuo x Hina, I can't even argue with you there lol. Even in the manga they just were not at all interesting, with almost nonexistent chemistry. I'm not exaggerating when I say that they *immediately* got better after spoiler[they broke up.]
Gohanangered

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Sorry i rather have had hina be with him then Rui. If the anime gets to the point of covering the stuff that Rui does, you'll won't have to high a opinion on her either. If you dislike hina. Because Rui is no better if not worse then Hina if you follow the manga. So you can either wait for the anime to cover that mess or go and read the manga to find out what i mean. Also the other thing i want to mention i think at this point the author likes to torture the mc at this point. Might even get off on it. But as you can tell at this point i don't really care about this story thanks to what happens in the manga. The only thing left to do is wait for the ending to come of the story from the author and watch how nasty things will get from all the comments the author of domestic girlfriend will get. And yes at this point i don't like the author at all and think they are trash in general. If you don't get believe me go read the manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6