• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do you have an anime you absolutely refuse to watch, if so why?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PandoraBox

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:15 am Reply with quote
I refuse to watch Attack on Titan as I've already read the manga and don't want to cry so much again. Stupid reason, but I'm too sensitive to go through it again.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:12 am Reply with quote
So, to clarify. Refuse to watch? Not really, though I tend to stay away from older series (pre-1990) simply because they're poorly paced and way too long.

Refuse to finish? I've dropped Tokyo Mew Mew, Aku no Hana, Berserk 2016, Digimon Adventure 02, Denpa Kyoushi, Digimon Frontier, DNA^2, Fairy Tail, Voltron, and Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ. OH! And Samurai Deeper Kyo.
UltimateEye

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I will not watch Gundam SEED Destiny for the reason that characters' actions don't seem to have realistic impact or logic behind them. This is within a cliched and nonsensical framework that cares more about rolling out cool new mecha than developing a compelling story. Also, the character degeneration of my favorite character from the original (Cagalli) is unforgivable. As far as I'm concerned, the story ends with SEED.

While I love Fate/stay night, and am looking forward to the next two Heaven's Feel films, there's no way I'll ever watch Fate/Zero. I don't watch anime to get depressed. Every review I've seen for that show goes on about how awesome the production and little character flourishes are, with very little addressing how life sucks for virtually everyone in the story. I accept that Fate/Zero is the backstory for the main narrative, but I have no interest in seeing the horrid tragedy play out.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:58 am Reply with quote
UltimateEye wrote:
I will not watch Gundam SEED Destiny for the reason that characters' actions don't seem to have realistic impact or logic behind them. This is within a cliched and nonsensical framework that cares more about rolling out cool new mecha than developing a compelling story. Also, the character degeneration of my favorite character from the original (Cagalli) is unforgivable. As far as I'm concerned, the story ends with SEED.

While I love Fate/stay night, and am looking forward to the next two Heaven's Feel films, there's no way I'll ever watch Fate/Zero. I don't watch anime to get depressed. Every review I've seen for that show goes on about how awesome the production and little character flourishes are, with very little addressing how life sucks for virtually everyone in the story. I accept that Fate/Zero is the backstory for the main narrative, but I have no interest in seeing the horrid tragedy play out.

I'd never describe it as depressing. It's a great story, and aside from Kiritsugu's tragic end which Stay Night kind of already prepares you for, I'd say Fate/Zero leaves on an uplifting note of hope for the future with Shirou. I dunno. I'd say that you should at least try it before deciding it's too dark for your tastes.
UltimateEye

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's not going to happen. I know this is a story where a small child is abandoned by her parents and subjected to what is basically scaphism while a man ruins his life to try to save her. I know this is a story where a child murderer is summoned by another serial killer and makes 'human umbrellas'. Even in the realm of horror, which I usually like, it's just too much. The fact that conflicts are left unresolved by nature of this being a prequel makes it worse.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:58 pm Reply with quote
UltimateEye wrote:
Yeah, it's not going to happen. I know this is a story where a small child is abandoned by her parents and subjected to what is basically scaphism while a man ruins his life to try to save her. I know this is a story where a child murderer is summoned by another serial killer and makes 'human umbrellas'. Even in the realm of horror, which I usually like, it's just too much. The fact that conflicts are left unresolved by nature of this being a prequel makes it worse.

So... going down your list of grievances...

The first thing about Sakura...? Uh, probably best to stop watching Heaven's Feel while you're ahead. It's gonna get way worse than what Fate/Zero showed off.

As for Caster + Ryunosuke, the atrocities are only implied in the anime. It goes in almost no detail for broadcasting reasons.
guildmaster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:36 pm Reply with quote
First, most mecha, I just don't like the transformer style anything.

Next, drag-on anything, along with pokemon, digimon, yugio (spelt wrong and IDC), etc. That whole genre never suited me.

Any overly gory or over gruesome sets, like tokyo ghoul, attack on titan, etc. Spend a few tours in the mideast combat zones and you'll understand why.
KawaiiUwUDesuHurr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:39 am Reply with quote
The new Legend of the Galactic Heroes series. The original was more than fine and I think anyone who wants only the best of everything should watch it. This new series, it's like trying to re-write a Shakespeare play—you don't do it unless you're trying to sell something, like that one horrific publication of Romeo and Juliet in "texting" form. Mad
Saeryen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:45 pm Reply with quote
For me, anything overly gory or sexual. I can handle light horror and fanservice, but too much is too much for me. So for me, no Attack on Titan, no Tokyo Ghoul, no Goblin Slayer, no ecchi...yeah. Also, I'm not a fan of super depressing stuff.

I'm a true shoujo and iyashikei songstress. That stuff is and will always be the anime of my heart.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty hesitant about watching anything from PA Works because aside from The Eccentric Family and now Appare Ranman, everything I've watched from them ended up being a waste of time. Initially, I was going to pass up on Appare Ranman, but after seeing so many positive things and watching a few clips, I gave it a shot. I wasn't expecting to love it so much. However, my reluctance to watch PA Works series hasn't changed.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:44 pm Reply with quote
phia_one wrote:
I'm pretty hesitant about watching anything from PA Works because aside from The Eccentric Family and now Appare Ranman, everything I've watched from them ended up being a waste of time. Initially, I was going to pass up on Appare Ranman, but after seeing so many positive things and watching a few clips, I gave it a shot. I wasn't expecting to love it so much. However, my reluctance to watch PA Works series hasn't changed.

I found quite a few of their works to be quite enjoyable with my favorites being Hanasaku Iroha, Shirobako, and Sakura Quest.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
phia_one wrote:

I found quite a few of their works to be quite enjoyable with my favorites being Hanasaku Iroha, Shirobako, and Sakura Quest.

Super agree. What I particularly like about PA Works is the lush background art they normally provide. It's kind of their calling card.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:36 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Or things that have more than 300 episodes because I've watched enough of them to know how they all turn out; filler-ridden, repetitive, and unsatisfyingly inconclusive.

This. I got thru Naruto and most of Shippuden before saying hell with it because of awful fillers. Dropped Bleach about 1/2 way. Saw a good chunk of Dragonball back in the day and even then I was like oh, god this is just dragging on and on. And have no desire to put myself thru One Piece or Gintama.

I'm also not a fan of fan service for fan service sake, so if that's the whole point of a show or if there is a ton of it then I'm probably not going to watch it.

If we are talking about a specific anime that I refuse to watch and not a "type" or category then its probably going to be the Madoka Magica movie Rebellion. I love the show, but I heard enough of some of the particulars about the movie to know I would probably hate it if I saw it and would impact how I felt about the show. So no to that.

On the flip side anime I can't say no to watching would have to be anything Ghost in the Shell. I was disappointed with Arise and the new Netflix SAC 2045 was pretty terrible, but I would still watch more GITS if given the chance.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:19 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Beltane70 wrote:
phia_one wrote:

Super agree. What I particularly like about PA Works is the lush background art they normally provide. It's kind of their calling card.

Unfortunately, it's also their crutch. Sometimes it seems they want to work on backgrounds so much they forget little things like... plot and physics.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:29 am Reply with quote
KawaiiUwUDesuHurr wrote:
The new Legend of the Galactic Heroes series. The original was more than fine and I think anyone who wants only the best of everything should watch it. This new series, it's like trying to re-write a Shakespeare play—you don't do it unless you're trying to sell something, like that one horrific publication of Romeo and Juliet in "texting" form. Mad

Neither adaptation of Legend of the Galactic Heroes is original, though. Both are adaptations of a series of novels. Though shorter, the new adaptation is closer to the novels than the 1988 OVA series, which adds quite a few things that aren't in the novels.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3