• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Boruto: Naruto Next Generations

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-SP-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:04 am Reply with quote
This was such a garbage arc. I can only continue to hope that this show will get better.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
letting the gang off with a slap on the wrist is likely to result in more rule-breaking down the line

And this arc is an example of that. Boruto never really did face any consequences from cheating in the genin exam, did he? He got to play hero and then had to apologize to his bros, but no one really lost any trust in him that he had to earn back.

Have we heard Mitsuki laugh before?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:30 pm Reply with quote
When the review said it was only the 2nd in the Parent/Child arc, I had to check to be sure. It feels like it's been going on for weeks. I'm looking forward to a little Sasuke/Sarada time, but I really hope that's the last of this. It's not so bad to check in on the various families, but the humor is so lame my eyes are practically rolling out of my head.
Sven Laguz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:11 pm Reply with quote
This arc has been alright for me. This is kinda something I actually find pleasing to watch; major world changing conflict is over and the characters now have families, how's that going? Action aside, I do want to see how some parent-child bonds turned out.

Himawari's episode was just adorable and heartwarming for me.

Cho Cho's... not exactly something I wanted and was not really swayed upon viewing. However, the potential joke regarding Choji's "one redeeming quality" got a chuckle out of me.

Now time to see how Sarada's day with Sasuke turns out. I expect a lot of awkwardness between the two as Sasuke didn't exactly have a lot of family time growing up and was kinda absent for most of Sarada's life.
Marimo0

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm noticing that for an arc on parent and child pairings, it seems like it's mainly the kids doing stuff with their dads (with the pairings with the daughters being the main focus). Himawari with Naruto, Chocho with Choji, Shikadai and Shikamaru, Inojin and Sai, Metal and Rock, and next episode looks to be one focused on Sarada and Sasuke. Since a lot of story has focused on Boruto and his dad, including a whole movie, I think it would've been nice if we got something with Boruto and Hinata. Something that definitely came to my mind in this latest episode when he seemed interested in the eating contest which is when I remembered how Hinata is "The Legendary Queen of Gluttony" who could out eat even Choji.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I think they are coming from the idea that the moms all spend lots of time with the kids, so "Parent and Child Day" is about giving dads a chance to spend time with their kids. But I agree it would've been nice to see some moms with their kids too. Even the ones who are still working mostly seem to be shown at home.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I very much enjoyed Sasuke/Sarada, though I'm not sure who thought it was a good idea to make Kekashi so overtly creepy.

Quote:
Shino fawning over his newly-purchased Kuraa-ma plush toy was initially a fairly amusing gag, drawing it out across three episodes has made it progressively less effective.

It's starting to feel like authorial bullying of the character. I feel sorry for Shino. No one ever remembers him, includes him in their plans, or hangs out with him. He has no family (I suppose he must have relatives, but I don't recall ever seeing them more than fleetingly during the war (and I could be imagining even that)), he has a clan ability that creeps everyone out, and he's socially inept because of all of the foregoing. It's not funny that he's latched on to a plushy that talks to him in stock recorded phrases, it's sad, because he clearly wants more human contact and can't get it.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:01 am Reply with quote
Marimo0 wrote:
I'm noticing that for an arc on parent and child pairings, it seems like it's mainly the kids doing stuff with their dads (with the pairings with the daughters being the main focus). Himawari with Naruto, Chocho with Choji, Shikadai and Shikamaru, Inojin and Sai, Metal and Rock, and next episode looks to be one focused on Sarada and Sasuke. Since a lot of story has focused on Boruto and his dad, including a whole movie, I think it would've been nice if we got something with Boruto and Hinata. Something that definitely came to my mind in this latest episode when he seemed interested in the eating contest which is when I remembered how Hinata is "The Legendary Queen of Gluttony" who could out eat even Choji.

i dont think that would work! there would be the chance that he would find out his dad's dirty secret and discovered that as a kid he only fawned for the tsundere sakura and it took a genjustu from toneri to get their parents together!

that would cause some serious awkwardness for sure!

and speaking of the emo family, hopefully this ep will finally prove that kishimoto made the right call in making those two a couple and silence the nay sayers (specifically those sour grapes narusaku shippers) for good!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:29 pm Reply with quote

Sign language and ear plugs would solve the whole problem while she's working on her control.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:20 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Denki delivering his inspirational speech in the midst of a looming plant meltdown kind of strains credulity

I'll say. I also didn't understand why the critical turbine wasn't already turning in the wind like all the others, and the fact that all it took was Shikadai's wind to move it made that even less clear.

Denki's story this time also doesn't quite jibe with his original dilemma of his father wanting him to become a ninja while he did not want to. This time he made it sound like he became a ninja in spite of his father wanting him to take over the company.

I love the Nara family (except for Tamari beating up on Shikamaru all the time), but this episode really floundered.
cfalcon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:59 pm Reply with quote

20 bucks says Tosaka is the villain of this arc and the infiltrator who slipped past the border team.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:25 am Reply with quote
srprised they gave karin a 180! their basically turning her and saskue to what the pervert sage was to tsunade!

probably would have been more interesting if he had knocked BOTH OF THEM!

CCTakato wrote:
It was a bit slow starting and a little bit fanficish to me but still overall enjoyable and I'm willing to give it a shot even though I haven't paid attention to Naruto in years. My big question though is spoiler[are they going to kill off Naruto?]

short answer is spoiler[YES! THEY ARE! its already hinted that it will happen in ep 1 of the anime and the first chapter of the manga and the one to do it will be his stepson kawaki!]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:46 am Reply with quote
^ Why are you answering a 2-year old question?

I'm still having trouble believing Tosaka's heel turn. It was telegraphed so hard in the last couple of episodes, and they overdid the evil "my lab" so much that I keep thinking it's gotta be a false heel turn, like someone was watching him or something. Would a true villain lick bird poop?

If he's really a River ninja, he's apparently been undercover for a long time. And it's not like he'd really need to ally with them to have a good research lab and get to study curse marks. He already had all that in Konoha, except maybe the human experimentation part. If he was that big on sketchy research, he could've gone to hang out with Orochimaru.
Vent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Let's be real, is anyone shocked that "Guest character voiced by Takehito Koyasu" is the arc's villain?

You don't hire that dude to do a bit part
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Not shocked, just hoping they would go for something less cliche. Oh well.

Why was Sumire so upset that Nue was sucking up the defeated curse mark bro's chakra? Seemed like a fair trade to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 22 of 31