• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dororo

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animechic420

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:33 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
spoiler[I read that Dororos mother drew a map on her back showing the location of her fathers treasure, is this revealed later or has this plot point been dropped from this adaptation.]

They may do that later since it brings Itachi back around and we never find out what happens to him.

Quote:
The bit at the end when Dororo was asking Hyakkimaru about being undressed, must mean that Dororo is deliberately concealing her gender, which sounds different from your description of the Manga where she truly believes she is male. I wonder if in her parents forced this gender on her, maybe to protect her because of all the bandits or that male heir trope. Or maybe with no females, aside her mother, she did not have anyone to emulate.

In terms of adaptation the 2019 show is showing a much different version of Dororo's character than the manga. Whereas in the manga she's adamant about being a boy, here she seems very conscious of the fact that she is a girl going by this episode. Her gender isn't brought up until this episode, but even until then she never said what she was one way or another (it's mostly unimportant but still), people would just assume she is a boy and she didn't seem to care one way or the other. Though she does seem very self-conscious about it when it comes to Hyakkimaru finding out (who doesn't care anyway because she's just Dororo to him).

As for your assumption, I believe its the former. Her parents were trying to protect her.

The nun referred to Dororo as "she."
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:10 pm Reply with quote
^ ...yup, that was this episode. Glad you noticed it.
ebronstein

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:31 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
Being animated at MAPPA, and sharing the same director as the Trust & Betrayal OVAs already put the show on my radar, but three episodes in, its definitely one of my favorites of the season. Its especially so since I'm really going into it blind unlike The Promised Neverland and Mob Psycho 100.

Also, both the OP and ED sequences are way too catchy.

As a longtime Samurai x/Kenshin fan, watching the first few episodes felt incredibly familiar, so I had to look it up, and sure enough enough, there was Furuhashi San. The man's a master of the genre.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that Tahomaru was more than just a spoiled brat, that would not have made the show worse it just would have made the character less interesting.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I too am glad to see Tahomaru isn't the spoiled brat is seemed to be shaping up to be in his earlier appearances. I was especially impressed with his solution for the original confrontation. Usually, the designated hero would just row out like everyone else has done, and prevail out of sheer badassery, but he had a good plan to prevent getting sucked into whatever was causing the whirlpool, and it worked!

I know I wasn't supposed to, but I laughed when the crab started lobbing rocks at the sluicegate. Somehow it reminded me of that video with the knife-wielding crab. Very Happy

Looking forward to next week to find out what Hyakkimaru got back this time and seeing whether the brothers actually get to meet up or not.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's a monster-of-the-week episode made weaker than usual by the absence of our two leads

Disagree entirely here. I for one do not miss Dororo in their own show at all. This episode was pretty good, seeing how competent and well-natured Tahomaru is put a twist into what I saw this series going for.
sailorstarsun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I, too, am glad Tahomaru is getting some focus and becoming a real character in his own right. It'll definitely make the story that much more interesting. And he seems like a really fascinating guy, not just strong, but also thoughtful (and the scene where he asks Hyogo to pick him up, and Hyogo just kinda lifts him like a baby was pretty cute Anime exclamation ).

And I know I'm not the only one who was wondering if the crab demon's meat is edible.

I can't wait to see the brothers meet for real, and though I doubt they'll know they're brothers at first, I look forward to when they do find that out as well.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone else think that the patten on Tahomarus clothing looked like the Crunchyroll logo?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:55 am Reply with quote
So was the crab not one of the Big D demons? Hyakkimaru doesn't seem to have gotten anything back after killing it.
zztop

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Hyakkimaru's crappy family reunion is paralleled with Sukeroku's much more positive one, showing instead of telling that there is still something to be redeemed in this world.

The source manga was much bleaker in regards to Sukeroku.

spoiler[Manga Sukeroku was killed by the archers, and never got to see his family again. Dororo rants about the cruelty of the samurai.]

There were complaints that anime Sukeroku's survival was too forced and he should have died, but I think the anime staff just wanted to give at least someone a happy ending, to break up the all-round downer of the Banmon arc.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 was excellent. I was surprised there was time to play the ending theme at the end, because this single episode felt like a movie---cinematic, exciting and stunning.

I am so frustrated with Hyakkimaru's family, though. I understand how Daigo convinced himself that sacrificing his son was for the good of his territory---he's a violent, power hungry jerk. He wouldn't understand that compassion and kindness could build up his land (and foster peace treaties rather than constant war with neighboring territories.) But Tahomaru and his wife just accept his logic wholesale and reach his conclusion, reacting in ways that fit their characters (Tahomaru reluctantly, but sure in his belief that killing his brother would be better for his people as a whole, Mom suicidally). They don't bother to seek out any demon experts and ask for advice. And talking about experts who should offer advice, Biwamaru knows way more than he's letting on and is in the perfect position to intervene, but refuses to do so. I'm glad you find your friends misfortune so *entertaining*, man! If he had just spoken to Tahomaru, Tahomaru might have reconsidered the "truth" that his people's prosperity is due to his brother's suffering.

zztop wrote:

There were complaints that anime Sukeroku's survival was too forced and he should have died, but I think the anime staff just wanted to give at least someone a happy ending, to break up the all-round downer of the Banmon arc.

I'm glad Sujeroku got a happy ending! I was expecting him to die the moment Dororo offered him a spot as a traveling companion, and was ready to roll my eyes at how predictable that would be. I was way more surprised that he survived and found his mom. It was an unexpected bright spot in an emotionally bleak episode.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:42 am Reply with quote
It was kinda funny that he survived, since apparently the archers were so bad that they couldn't aim low enough to hit someone that short. Very Happy
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Finally got around to this. Yeah, there is a serious question to be made about Daigo's claims of prosperity. Was it REALLY the demons that have made this prosperity for the land? I mean, there appears to be a correlation between Hyakkimaru defeating demons and problems befalling the land, like when he beat the ant lion and the rainstorm stopped. But, as we see with the statue Oku prayed to it was bathed in a rich green.

And it would be tragic irony that maybe Daigo ISN'T in any way responsible for his realm's prosperity. I mean, maybe the hard times were just hard times, they just happened naturally because things just happened. And it would completely fitting for demons to trick Daigo into thinking that because they're DEMONS, of course they're going to lie, deceive, and manipulate in order to get what they want. Heck, maybe even Daigo believes that subconsciously as he keeps yelling about how much he's sacrificed. He keeps trying to convince people he made a hard choice with Hyakkimaru, but considering how he then tried to stamp out any trace of Hyakkimaru's existence and ran away from the responsibility of accepting what he did, it's clear he doesn't believe he actually made a hard choice and just went for the easy way out because he was weak-willed. To have all that invalidated would shatter him
zztop

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:17 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Finally got around to this. Yeah, there is a serious question to be made about Daigo's claims of prosperity. Was it REALLY the demons that have made this prosperity for the land? I mean, there appears to be a correlation between Hyakkimaru defeating demons and problems befalling the land, like when he beat the ant lion and the rainstorm stopped. But, as we see with the statue Oku prayed to it was bathed in a rich green.

Tezuka's source manga never established a strict correlation between the demons and the land, so anything the anime does regarding this will be original. I'll be interested to see how it plays out if they choose to address this.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:21 am Reply with quote
So the map on Dororos back is still in this version.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 13