• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Granblue Fantasy Anime Season 2 to Premiere in October

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oxfort

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:43 am Reply with quote
YES YES YES
Morry

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:59 am Reply with quote
Yay, other than that rushed middle arc, I really enjoyed this series as an anime-only. And even that rushed arc felt better paced in the dub. I hope they keep it going.
Echii

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:21 am Reply with quote
Finally

It took a lot of time. I hope the new opening song is as good as season 1
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Oh, nice. The first season was pretty hardcore old school, but still really fun.
CrimsonDX

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Excellent. I really enjoyed the first season.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the first season a lot and it's old school feeling but it seemed like that it wasn't getting as much fandom attention at the time. But I guess the mobile game must be popular enough to get a second season and I'm looking forward to it's return.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
Oh, nice. The first season was pretty hardcore old school, but still really fun.
Would you explain what you mean by that please?
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Echii wrote:
It took a lot of time.
Not really, most of this time was the waiting until Miyuki Sawashiro get back from her maternal leave to voice Katalina, as one of supposed to be animated plot arcs in this season is heavy-centric on her character. And probably Hisako Kanemoto too, who studied abroad until recent days, for that Djeeta episodes.

Quote:
Well, GBF is really old school RPG fantasy in its core with its main plotline. Not hardcore old school, but to compare with modern JRPG plot and especially to modern fantasy titles, it sure is.
Luke's Yu-Gi-Oh! Channel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:45 pm Reply with quote
This is good news.

I don't play the game but I really enjoyed the anime.
sirdano1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The Zankutinzeru-Hen (Zankutinzeru Arc) anime special debuted on Tokyo MX and the Abema TV streaming service in Japan on January 21, 2017, before the main television series.

It really annoys me how ANN is still spelling it like this when even the official description gets the English name of Zinkenstill right.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:10 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Northlander wrote:

Male teenage hero meeting mysterious girls with mysterious powers, leaves his village to find adventure and fight pretty clear-cut evil. It's more or less like a LOT of JRPGs from the 80's and 90's that I have played -- it particularly reminded me of Lunar: Eternal Blue.

...which is still to this day my favorite JRPG, though, so don't take my "...but" angling as me expecting this show to be terrible because of this.

I was mostly just worried that the show would become either boring or a huge ego trip -- or even worse; both -- but that turned out not to be the case at all. Which was good, because I had to buy this show to watch it, and Aniplex's releases do not come cheap.

Just for disclosure: I have not played the game. I have wanted to try it, but far as I remember, I have to jump through some pretty hefty hoops to make it work. And it apparently has a gacha function for obtaining party members, which is a mechanic I'm not fond of, as it's solely included to squeeze more money out of the players at an alarming rate. I might be wrong about Granblue Fantasy's mechanic there, though, so feel free to set me straight on that.
CrimsonDX

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:51 am Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Northlander wrote:

Male teenage hero meeting mysterious girls with mysterious powers, leaves his village to find adventure and fight pretty clear-cut evil. It's more or less like a LOT of JRPGs from the 80's and 90's that I have played -- it particularly reminded me of Lunar: Eternal Blue.

...which is still to this day my favorite JRPG, though, so don't take my "...but" angling as me expecting this show to be terrible because of this.

I was mostly just worried that the show would become either boring or a huge ego trip -- or even worse; both -- but that turned out not to be the case at all. Which was good, because I had to buy this show to watch it, and Aniplex's releases do not come cheap.

Just for disclosure: I have not played the game. I have wanted to try it, but far as I remember, I have to jump through some pretty hefty hoops to make it work. And it apparently has a gacha function for obtaining party members, which is a mechanic I'm not fond of, as it's solely included to squeeze more money out of the players at an alarming rate. I might be wrong about Granblue Fantasy's mechanic there, though, so feel free to set me straight on that.

No, its 100% a greedy gatcha game, but one of the big things I always hear is how amazing the story is. Like good enough to compare with dedicated single player JRPGs. Kind of like how FGO has a story that could stand alongside the actual Fate games and visual novels.
kucinglaper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:43 am Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Northlander wrote:

If you just want to follow the main stories and side events, you could probably do using all the freebies (characters/weapons/summon) the game give you whenever you reach a certain part of the story or finishing side stories or promotions. The game also gives you plenty in-game currency to roll or free rolls.
Nguyễn Minh Hiếu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:13 am Reply with quote
Granblue long time player here!

GBF is one of the most generous mobage in the current market, currently they give out daily freeroll. You can gacha 10 to 300 rolls (if you lucky) from March 10th to 30th daily. I think this is a great chance if you want to experience the story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1