• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shenmue III Game's New Trailer Previews Martial Arts Training

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twilightmaster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:01 pm Reply with quote
It looks better than the last trailer, but a lot of the animations still look really unnatural, especially the facial animations. It's really distracting how emotionless everyone looks.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:01 am Reply with quote
Oooooh boy. I can't wait for this game to come out, get fairly positive reviews, and be labeled the worst/most disappointing game ever.

Or maybe it has a chance, seeing as it isn't a Square Enix game.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:27 am Reply with quote
I mean... if you show me a non janky Shenmue game, I'll show you a liar.

But this is pretty damn ugly.
Dicku-kun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:01 am Reply with quote
I don't mind the graphics as much but damn the combat looks janky. It's like there's not much improvement from 1 and 2's combat (which is good from the time of its release but would be severely outdated today)

I'm happy for the fans but I'd personally wait for the release before I'd consider buying this Hoping for the best!
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:34 pm Reply with quote
It will never really look good thanks to the Unreal Engine but we're getting there, it looks a lot better than the last trailers. The feeling is already there thanks to the voice actors, just some more polishing in the animations and we'll get used to the rest.
Bullza

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:54 am Reply with quote
Will all 400-500 characters look like they're from a PS2 game?
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:09 am Reply with quote
I feel really good about this teaser.

And I really don't care when it comes out. If these last 17 years or so have taught me anything, it's patience. Better to have the Shenmue III Suzuki-san wants rather than something rushed to meet a deadline.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, part of Shenmue's original charm was all the jank. Like seriously, even in the remastered versions, you can't play Shenmue I & II and try to claim it's on par with the original Yakuza for PS2 in either presentation or function. Shenmue was immersive because its world was compelling, but maybe more accurately "consistent". If the characters didn't look a little stiff or funny when they moved or talked, I feel like it wouldn't be the Shenmue I'm used to playing.

I'm not expecting some sweeping romance with Shenhua (Nozomi & Joy were only ever B-movie plot devices anyways), I'm not expecting some crazy revelation about Ryo or Lan Di - I just want to run around the colorful Chinese mountain/countryside harassing the locals as I look for sailors, grunt and squat while moving crates for like 5 minutes straight, and then maybe jackhammer the punch button and watch some loud guy ragdoll after reloading the fight 8 times.

EDIT: Actually, for that matter, watch it again and freeze the video on the 0:22 mark.

ಠ_ಠ

Shenhua's unamused-face emoji/disapproval emoticon face is begging for some captions and meme shenanigans.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Glad to know this is still a go.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1