• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Steins;Gate Elite

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gacha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:25 pm Reply with quote
"My biggest gripes with the story involve how badly its handling of gender identity issues have aged – without spoiling anything, Luka's character arc stands out as a black mark on an otherwise fun story. But overall, I'd say the product ends up amounting to more than the sum of its parts."

Mod Edit - removed trolling insult
Seif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Dunno why people would rather look at the anime's gray dull-ass visuals then the VN's attractive art but whatever floats your boat. Kinda reminds me of the cheap looking ani-manga books publishers put out in the US back in early 00s.

Mod Edit- removed response to trolling
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:24 pm Reply with quote
gacha wrote:
"My biggest gripes with the story involve how badly its handling of gender identity issues have aged – without spoiling anything, Luka's character arc stands out as a black mark on an otherwise fun story. But overall, I'd say the product ends up amounting to more than the sum of its parts."

Mod Edit Removed trolling from quote.

Honestly, I think it's a legitimate gripe, albeit one that should have been clear from the get-go. Ruka/Luka/pookadooka has always been the worst character in Steins;Gate. I'm not even part of the LGBT community and I think it's insulting that Ruka is... the way he is. Even if they made Ruka a girl from the start and changed the D-Mail to something else to undo, the character has no character.

As a non-LGBT person myself (well, maybe a little Bi but still lets stay on topic), Ruka is boring and shallow. I can only imagine how LBGT people feel about being represented so poorly.
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:25 pm Reply with quote
im enjoying this personally, but my only gripe is unless you auto the dialog instead of clicking, the animated scenes become choppy, so i typically wait till the spoken dialog finishes before clicking through.
wolf10

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:38 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
As a non-LGBT person myself (well, maybe a little Bi but still lets stay on topic), Ruka is boring and shallow. I can only imagine how LBGT people feel about being represented so poorly.
Gay man who's seen the anime speaking, and honestly, I didn't think Rukako was that bad, in the grand scheme of things, but my expectations are generally pretty low. He (yes, I'm using "he") was clearly meant to appeal to otokonoko fans, so any deficiencies in his portrayal seemed (to me) to be more a product of innocent ignorance than any sort of active prejudice. Great pains were clearly taken to make his plight sympathetic, and that's already better than LGBT characters usually get in Japanese fiction.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:15 pm Reply with quote
^

Entirely agreed. He's meant to be a fetish-appeal character, like every girl in Steins;Gate to a degree. I personally don't see anything wrong with it, but I do see why a trans person might originally see Ruka, get excited for a potentially relatable character, and then become more than disappointed and believe that THEY personally were misrepresented.

I don't think any of us are in a position to tell someone who gets offended by Ruka that they're being "too sensitive," because that's telling another person how to feel without knowing their life experiences. I do, however, fully believe that if you told me the person who made Ruka didn't really know or care about trans people and was just trying to make an appealing waifu with the twist of being a husbando, I'd completely believe that without a doubt.

It's like if I complained about the portrayal of Mamoru in Sailor Moon misrepresenting to young girls how males act. True, it is. But also, it's not a character made for them. It's a character made to pander to the real demographic of the show.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:43 am Reply with quote
In spite of it's problematic themes and flaws, Steins Gate is still one of my favorite sci-fi anime and I enjoy all the twists and turns and these quirky socially awkward characters trying to stop something bigger than themselves. I've always wanted to play the game and having a Switch makes it perfect for me to get that version of Steins Gate Elite. The Switch version will also make for a nice portable version of the game especially for any fans who miss the PS Vita.
nx6

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Overall : C+
Graphics : B
Sound/Music : B
Gameplay : B-
Presentation : B

Isn't this a little illogical? The Overall score is implied to be a measure of the whole package based on the below criteria. If you can't fault any of the specific metrics as being below B- then the overall can't be a C+.

Since your main "negative" is the inconsistent animation quality the "graphics" score would reflect this. Otherwise is seems you have a hidden "Enjoyment" or "Relevance" score in play.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1