• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hajime no Ippo's George Morikawa: 'I've Probably Only Covered About Half the Material So Far'

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:46 am Reply with quote
Oh dear. I sure hope it doesn't take him another 30 years, cause even if it was another 15-20 years, who knows if his body can even hold out for that long (perhaps without needing to slow down serialization to like fortnighty or monthly).

And here we thought One Piece possibly being 25-30 year was crazy...
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:59 am Reply with quote
Ippo retired! He stopped fighting! There is literally nothing, barring a George Foreman style coming out of retirement that this narrative can honestly go!
Hatsu95

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:26 am Reply with quote
Okay... but we need another anime season.
ChestPains

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:41 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Ippo retired! He stopped fighting! There is literally nothing, barring a George Foreman style coming out of retirement that this narrative can honestly go!

Did you forget the rest of Ippo's massive main cast that are still trying and thriving?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:05 am Reply with quote
Yes, because when most manga’s change the lead, they have the courtesy to change the name.
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:54 am Reply with quote
I really wanna see a nice long running remake anime of this when the manga is coming to an end someday. This story could be a really epic, like Ashita no Joe. It would be a shame if only the beginning and some arc bits are available as anime with the majority of people never be able to watch or read the full story.
Ushio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:41 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

It's still entertaining to read and the sales haven't dropped so why would it end?
Shradow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Ippo's eventual comeback has been apparent for like 30 or 40 chapters or something lol.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Wait a second.... that means I will be OLDER than my father when this thing ends?

Does Morikawa thinks he is immortal or something?
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Yes, because when most manga’s change the lead, they have the courtesy to change the name.

Just because he's a trainer now doesn't mean he's not still the lead.
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm impressed that he can draw the same crowd and ring scene for thirty years.

I mean, I get that having a series as successful as Ippo is like winning a lottery and you'd want to keep that ride going for as long as you can but still.
Ethe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

As someone who hasn't read a single chapter of Hajime no Ippo, even I can tell the whole retirement thing is another stepping stone in Ippo's character arc and he'll eventually start boxing again. It seems like a really good conflict to throw at your main character and yet people keep freaking out about it.
DirtyCircle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm about to start volume eight of ASHITA NO JOE and have flirted with the idea of starting IPPO but goddamn, 125 collected volumes? I watched everything that was animated last year but I don't know if I'll be able to read 125 no matter how much I would like to.
Dicku-kun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I hope it doesn't take too long. I was burnt out during the Gedo and Woli fights but recent chapters made me read again
Tylerr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Hatsu95 wrote:
Okay... but we need another anime season.

eh we really don't... honestly for like the next 900 or so chapters after the last anime arc nothing really interesting happens.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2