• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why is this footer missing?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:53 am Reply with quote
I wandered into an old column on a whim and noticed that there was no link to the Talkback thread at the bottom, even though the link going the other way still works. In fact, the whole footer after the columnist bio is missing:

Quote:
discuss this in the forum (37 posts) | bookmark/share with:
this article has been modified since it was originally posted; see change history

House of 1000 Manga homepage / archives

To be specific w/r/t the HTML, the only child of the #content-zone div is the .house-of-1000-manga div. Everything that should come after is gone. The Wayback Machine says the footer was still there as recently as December; I checked a bunch of other columns in the same series, including the ones immediately before and after, and all of them still had the footer.

Honestly at this point I don't even care if it gets fixed, I just wanna know what on Earth could be causing this. Confused
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Almost certainly a piece of bad html inside the text. Either an unclosed tag, or a closing tag with no opening tag.

I took a quick look and found one bad tag (closing without an opening), but that didn't fix the problem. I'l have someone look at it, but it's pretty low priority obviously.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
I'l have someone look at it, but it's pretty low priority obviously.

Fair 'nuff. Thanks for looking anyway.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I see the footer's back now!

...Of course, I can't tell in the slightest what changed things, and the changelog is quite uninformative. Still, whatever was done, thanks.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I usually post in the changelog only for large-ish changes, or changes that impact how people use the site, like moving a menu from some place to somewhere else. But not when it's just fixing a bug (aka making it work like it's supposed to) or small tweaks to the site. In this case I fixed the bug fast because some content was going missing due to malformed html. Sometimes just the footer, but sometimes actually content from the article. And that goes in the category of "urgent must fix now".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1