• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Announces Dragon's Dogma, Wit Studio's Vampire in the Garden, BONES' Super Crooks Anim

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I think Capcom might have misread the gamers' demands for a sequel.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Okay you had me at Bones animating an American comic book but then lost me when its a comic written by Mark "The Goat-Licker" Millar.

Hopefully its one of his better works or they cut out any of the unsavory elements he likes to put in his stories.

Though huh Bones is doing another superhero show, with this one about supervillains committing a heist. They really getting into the genre.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Wit Studio (Attack on Titan, The Ancient Magus' Bride) is producing a new original anime series titled Vampire in the Garden. Netflix describes the anime:

An original series by WIT STUDIO on two girls Momo and Fine from different backgrounds who meet by chance. A story about an unlikely friendship between human and vampire race that intertwines with the power or music.

Man, this is almost similar to Watanabe's Carol and Tuesday that's also going to be on Netflix. Guess it will depend on the staff and execution.
nAnoMarV

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Im hoping that WIT's Vampire in the Garden don't turns out shoujo ai thing.
Firefly251

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Netflix describes the anime:

The story follows a man's journey seeking revenge on a dragon who stole his heart. On his way, the man is brought back to life as an ‘Arisen’. An action adventure about a man challenged by demons who represent the seven deadly sins of humans.

is it wrong that I assume by this alone its gonna be awful?
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Look I love dragon dogma, but the story/setting/lore are not the reason why it became a cult classic...

Well w/e help get closer to a real sequel I guess.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Vampire in the Garden sounds like it might be a more serious version of Ms. Vampire who lives in my neighborhood. Also I am going to guess that "with the power or music" was supposed to be "with the power of music".
Kicksville

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Dragon's Dogma is simple enough that it could be mediocre and boring, and rich enough for smart writers to wring a lot out of. We'll see how it goes, I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:28 pm Reply with quote
dragons dogma in 3d cg gosh darnit. one of my favorite games. got hyped for a second then saw the studio. screw netflix man. just stick with wit, bone, and production ig's 2d crew and get rid of polygon and this sublimation crap. I've seen re cyborg and it looks horrible.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I have faith that BONES will pull a Kick-Ass and make the adaptation of the comic way better than Millar's original. Man, I've never even read Kick-Ass and from what I've read online, I can safely say that the movie (the first of which I did see) is soooooo much better.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I assume all these titles are truly Netflix originals/exclusives like AICO. I hope Netflix sticks to producing more of these anime projects instead of hijacking shows than can be streamed weekly by Crunchyroll and other services.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Dragon's Dogma had me until I read it was CG and by the people who did Re:Cyborg 009. Ick.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:15 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I assume all these titles are truly Netflix originals/exclusives like AICO. I hope Netflix sticks to producing more of these anime projects instead of hijacking shows than can be streamed weekly by Crunchyroll and other services.

The article states:
Quote:
Sublimation is producing a Dragon's Dogma anime series, based on CAPCOM's RPG video game series of the same name

Wit Studio is producing a new original anime series titled Vampire in the Garden.

BONES is producing Super Crooks, a new project based on the comic by Mark Millar and Leinil Francis Yu.

David Production's project is the recently announced anime series adaptation of Hiroshi Takashige and Ryōji Minagawa's Spriggan (Striker) manga.

Netflix also reiterated the 2020 premiere of the Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045 anime by Production I.G Kenji Kamiyama and Shinji Aramaki are directing the 3DCG anime.

Anima will create the Altered Carbon: Resleeved "anime feature" spinoff,

The only one at this point I can see guaranteed exclusive to Netflix is the Altered Carbon anime since that's a spinoff of Netflix's live action production from the novel. As for the rest, I don't think we'll know more until closer to the release if the producers will also air them on Japanese TV.

As for AICO, it's strange because on the Japanese bluray release, there's no credits and no logo on the box for Netflix at all, unlike the US original animations like Castlevania which does credit Netflix. And there's even an exclusive Amazon Japan Limited Edition version. So that too may not have even been a true original.
MexRAGE

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:17 pm Reply with quote
If they gonna make the Dragon's Dogma animated series CGI, they should just make the assets (scanning real world objects and people) and render everything in the RE engine, DMCV cutscenes already looks better than most CGI anyway. Hell, that way they could just reuse the assets into a possible sequel, or use assets from a possible sequel into the animated series
Kicksville

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
CGI

...this is what I get for not paying close enough attention to a Netflix anime's credits again.

Oh well, at least a good hand drawn Dragon's Dogma anime already exists and it came out in 1992.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3