• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-01-04]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
potatosampson

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:29 am Reply with quote
On the English question, a good example of bad Engrish is from Tokyo Mew Mew, I believe it is episode 10. I don't know what they did when they dubbed it but in the original Japanese language, trying to speak English, is awful.
Seif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:29 am Reply with quote
A lot of time it's not important that the foreigner is speaking English, so much as the fact that he's speaking a different language. In this case, it's common for anime to use Spanish as a substitue.
murph76

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:36 am Reply with quote
The twins in Kite spoke excellent English. From their listing in the encyclopedia, I'm guessing they're native speakers.
Mmsven

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:51 am Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:
The twins in Kite spoke excellent English.

I don't think those guys are Japanese. I think Media Blasters just copied over new american voices onto the Japanese voice track for the R1 release.

Also, Black Lagoon has some Engrish in it.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:03 am Reply with quote
I think it was Coyote Ragtime Show (I could easily be wrong), but a relatively recent series featured at least one scene with American military characters who spoke real, comprehensible English (not Engrish).

OTOH, Madoka Ayukawa's English lines in "Hawaiian Suspense" were...memorable.
murph76

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:12 am Reply with quote
Mmsven wrote:
I think Media Blasters just copied over new american voices onto the Japanese voice track for the R1 release.

Really? That makes me curious because there are different non-Japanese names for the English-speaking parts listed under the Japanese cast than their counterparts in the English cast in Kite's encyclopedia entry.
Ceru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:13 am Reply with quote
I look forward to the responses to your Answerman question. I remember when I was a young teen I convinced myself that I was going to make, like, teh best anime EVAR!!11!!! But quickly trashed it. I swear, if I see another youngster proclaiming that they will be the first non-Japanese to make an anime, I will cry. Why is it that most of them have to do with vampires, angels, demon hunters, forbidden love, or a combination of the above?
Mmsven

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:15 am Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:
Really? That makes me curious because there are different non-Japanese names for the English-speaking parts listed under the Japanese cast than their counterparts in the English cast in Kite's encyclopedia entry.

Do they sound the same on both tracks? If not then I guess I was wrong. But I've never watched it with the English dub before.
murph76

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:18 am Reply with quote
Mmsven wrote:
Do they sound the same on both tracks? If not then I guess I was wrong. But I've never watched it with the English dub before.

I don't think I've watched the dub to that point. Guess I'll have to try again and compare. Very Happy

-Murph
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:23 am Reply with quote
I have to agree and say that I prefer manga over anime. For me it's a bit different though. I agree some anime titles just don't have that magic, for lack of a better word, that the manga did. Sometimes it's reversed and the anime gives the manga some much needed life. For me though I enjoy manga more simply because I feel I have more control over how I interpret the material. I mean when a manga is adapted into an anime and you watch it you can't get as lost in your imagination as you can reading the manga. At least that's how it is for me. I grew up reading books and imagining everything in my mind. And even though mangas have pictures and illustrate the material it's still highly left up to the reader to imagine it all in his or her own mind. I simply enjoy that ability to take a set of characters or story and sort of imagine in my own mind how it might go.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:36 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised to see Zac praising anything from Oh!Great! I guess as long as it's not Ken Akamatsu, he'll have something nice to say. As for the Hellsing and Berserk anime, I'm fairly satisfied with the approach to those adaptations. I'll admit it's gonna be a pain for them to get the latter one right, if they ever continue it, but the version we got really captured the immensity and horror of the world in the manga. [Still, if they can push the envelope in Gantz and Elfen Lied, there's no reason for them to not do the same in Berserk. Personally, I'd love to see Snyder continue to milk 300, and get the rights to a Berserk movie, since the new Conan the Barbarian movie keeps getting delayed.]

Hellsing seemed to be the one Gonzo anime I could stand, to the point that the cliff-hanger doesn't bother me like it would in other shows. They gave me what I expected, which is action-horror, and that's all that mattered. I only get annoyed by adaptations when they screw up the character and story motivations, which is why the Phoenix show is so disappointing.
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:40 am Reply with quote
Ceru wrote:
I look forward to the responses to your Answerman question. I remember when I was a young teen I convinced myself that I was going to make, like, teh best anime EVAR!!11!!! But quickly trashed it. I swear, if I see another youngster proclaiming that they will be the first non-Japanese to make an anime, I will cry. Why is it that most of them have to do with vampires, angels, demon hunters, forbidden love, or a combination of the above?

Hehe... I remember those days. But you know, even if you start like that, you will get better if you don't keep thinking "okay, I'm gonna make a story that's like ____ meets ____". Once you get past that, you only become a better storyteller. Writing fanfiction is a good stepping stone, but will eventually be a hindrance if you're serious about writing good stories.

People make stories off of what inspires them. Being there are only seven original plots, everything is just an reworked adaptation of one or multiple existing works. Plus those elements as mentioned above come with the potential for a rich unexplored mythology. For as many vampire anime I've seen, then there's Karin, which takes the mythology in a whole new and intriguing direction. Plot devices are just that; devices. It's how you use them that matters.

I'll pass on answering that question of Answerman's though. I know I'll come off as egotistic considering the pride I take in my own novels.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:52 am Reply with quote
Happy new year to all. A few days late.

I prefer manga to anime too. Manga (as far as I know) doesn't really have fillers. Plus they really don't edit much in manga.

As for the answerfans question. Yes, handsdown on the writing. Sometimes when I work on the series I've been writing forever, it seems like an anime. Not as in me stealing ideas more as in I can see it on the screen with Hyde singing the opening.

*sigh* I hope one day my wish comes true.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:34 am Reply with quote
On the subject of English in anime: Perhaps one of the worst translations of a "English encounter" in an English dub (IMO) comes from Nadesico. I think it was the second or third episode where there's a big board meeting that Yurika barges into and she's attempting to speak English (very badly) to which the person she speaking towards says back (I believe in Japanese) "I understand your language", or something to that effect, and Yurika goes back to speaking Japanese. In the English dub the entire scene is done in English with a straight translation including Yurika stammering as she speaks. This was an old dub from back when ADV did hard subs and overlays (this was a VHS only release at the time after all), I'm curious how they would handle that scene now.

Best use of English in a Japanese track is in Blood: The Last Vampire. They really handled the transition from English to Japanese flawlessly, well enough that it didn't require a dub release.

A somewhat infamous case is the Sailor Moon episode where an older English man invites them all to a party and the girls just spew out random English gibberish ("niceah to meet yu. TANKYU!!"). There was a great AMV that poked fun at this episode ("Satan is my Master" or something like that I think is the one) where "party" is subtitled as "potty", great video.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:47 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
I mean when a manga is adapted into an anime and you watch it you can't get as lost in your imagination as you can reading the manga. At least that's how it is for me. I grew up reading books and imagining everything in my mind. And even though mangas have pictures and illustrate the material it's still highly left up to the reader to imagine it all in his or her own mind.

Can't say I agree at all with this, as a lot of manga I've read either doesn't leave any more to the imagination than an anime series equivalent does, or else leaves too much to imagination - which an anime series can do, also. Besides, I find that actually being able to hear characters talk, and supporting the visuals and dialog with appropriate background music, adds so much more to the experience as long as it's done well. Anime adaptations of manga, if done right, can also correct or gloss over flaws in the original manga, especially in pacing issues; the early volumes of Fruits Basket and their anime equivalents are, based on my observations, a prime example of that.

Of course, there are some manga titles that just don't translate well into animation (and vice versa) because they are tailored too specifically to the format in which they are created. But that's hardly a problem limited to anime/manga conversions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9