• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
One and only release scraper issues thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:02 pm Reply with quote
So in other words, adding releases is now pretty much impossible, yay. I sent Dan42 a PM about the release scraper recently, hopefully it gets hit attention, but he hasn't posted in a week now, so who knows when we'll see any of these issues get fixed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:08 am Reply with quote
It occurs to me that this may be down to the other site issues; something related to the change of URL etc. may have triggered anti-DOS measures on the sites in question.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Calico

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Is everyone else still having problems adding releases, even after the domain has been recovered? I've been trying to add some releases using Barnes & Noble and Amazon, but neither have been working for me.
horseradish

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:03 pm Reply with quote
^Calico

As BigOnAnime said a couple posts ago, adding releases is now pretty much impossible for regular contributors. I still get "could not fetch page" and "not a valid page" errors, which is unfortunate since missing releases are growing. Sad
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:34 am Reply with quote
Looks like I'll have to shoot Dan another PM and hope he reads it (he seems to not have read the one I sent a month ago), or attempt to post in the "Bugs & Technical Questions" section of the forum as he seems to not be looking at this section.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Calico

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:40 pm Reply with quote
@horseradish Well, that sucks. I guess we just have to wait and hope someone with the power to do something will actually fix it. Sad
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:44 am Reply with quote
Calico wrote:
@horseradish Well, that sucks. I guess we just have to wait and hope someone with the power to do something will actually fix it. Sad

If the release has an encyclopedia page you can actually add a sort of place-holder entry to your own collection list to help you keep track of some of what's missing by using the drop down boxes. It won't add anything to the ANN Encyclopedia though just your list.

For DVDs/BDs you could always try FilmAF
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:35 pm Reply with quote
*rises from the grave and looks around*
BigOnAnime wrote:
So in other words, adding releases is now pretty much impossible, yay.

Well... phooey. Since it doesn't look like there's been much discourse in over a year at this point, are releases officially dead-for-good (at least until 2.0,) or does functionality come-and-go, and maybe things will work better when retailers aren't getting slammed by Black Friday traffic?

Kruszer wrote:
If the release has an encyclopedia page you can actually add a sort of place-holder entry to your own collection list to help you keep track of some of what's missing by using the drop down boxes. It won't add anything to the ANN Encyclopedia though just your list.

Ah, yes... good reminder.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:44 am Reply with quote
This needs to be added.
https://www.rightstufanime.com/Natsumes-Book-of-Friends-Season-3-Standard-Edition-BD-DVD
anime#12542

Also is it alright if I request the adding of many of the missing releases since the scraper broke in summer 2017, and point out the newer ones as solicitations from the various publishers come out? With RightStuf delisting many releases when they're no longer available, adding them properly will prove to be a bit more challenging when the scraper eventually gets fixed (can't believe it's already been almost two years since it broke).

[Edit]This needs to be linked to these two releases.
anime#4308
release#17592
release#20892
IúkaSylvie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:07 pm Reply with quote
IúkaSylvie

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:10 am Reply with quote
IúkaSylvie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:02 am Reply with quote
The Legend of Dororo and Hyakkimaru (manga#22779)
The Legend of Dororo and Hyakkimaru (GN 1)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1645056376
The Legend of Dororo and Hyakkimaru (eBook 1)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0872SD9RS
The Legend of Dororo and Hyakkimaru (GN 2)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1645057607
The Legend of Dororo and Hyakkimaru (GN 3)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1648271006
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:06 am Reply with quote
Bumping this to make people a bit more aware of things. Early last month Dan got the scraper partially fixed. A breakdown of things:

RightStuf:
-Works for books and discs
-Doesn't pull description
-Doesn't pull MSRP (was making stuff up out of thin air)
-Doesn't recognize combo packs or dub/sub-only releases (The former isn't much of an issue anymore given the industry has largely shifted to Blu-ray-only releases)

Barnes & Noble:
-Works ONLY for books, discs do not work
-Pulls description
-Doesn't pull MSRP

So regular users are now able to add releases again, but only if they're using a RightStuf link or a Barnes & Noble link for books, none of the other stores work. Also a recommendation with books, use only a RightStuf link, and then after the release is created, enter the Barnes & Noble link, and it'll automatically get the description and page count in right away.

v_i and I also spent a ton of time trying to fill that hole of missing disc releases as the scraper broke in mid-2017. Nearly all non-hentai 2021 and 2020 anime releases should be in. If anyone wants to help fill the 2017-2019 gap, feel free to do so. Also if someone could really focus on manga and light novels, that'd be great as I sadly don't follow those releases much. Hentai is going to be much more difficult to fill that gap as the main issue is the encyclopedia doesn't have the series pages made for them much anymore, so they have to have a page created first, then releases can be added.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:40 am Reply with quote
Update:

All non-hentai 2017, 2018, and 2019 releases should now be in save for stuff with no UPC as only admins have the power to add releases without a UPC or ISBN. Oh and Nutcracker Fantasy from Discotek as there still isn't an encyclopedia page for it, that'll be fixed soon. After 4 years of the scraper being broken and there being tons of missing releases as a result (around at least 1,500 going by where I started (release#36613) and what I most recently added (release#38609)-not everything recently added was 2017-present disc releases), the hole is finally nearly completely plugged. If anything needs correcting or there's something missing which has to be manually added (not currently on RightStuf if it's a disc release), I'd recommend posting in the Release Corrections thread with the UPC.

I'll soon work on dealing with missing hentai releases. If anyone wants to help out, feel free to do so, just be aware they're currently harder to add as the main issue is the encyclopedia pages haven't been added for many of them.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Another update:

The Barnes & Noble and DVD Empire scrapers got fixed recently for disc releases. Amazon is still broken, but should hopefully get fixed in the coming months. Once the Amazon scraper is working again, anything delisted everywhere but Amazon can be added again, with VHS tapes being a big one as that's an area where the encyclopedia is missing tons of releases, especially as most of those predate the site. Older manga would then be able to be added as well as I've noticed some rather old releases were missing (Ex: Bastard!! Volumes 1-6) which I've since added manually. Also, all 2011-present hentai releases should be in, so that hole is finally plugged.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4