• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mentions of Australia in anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:40 am Reply with quote
In Space Battleship Yamato 2199 Episode 3, deputy navigator Ota relays from his scanners that the Gamilas floating continent on Jupiter is the size of Australia. Thus having a benchmark for the destructive power of Yamato's wave-motion gun.

I believe in the Gundam SEED universe, ZAFT had a base in Carpentaria, (which for non-Australians unfamiliar with Australia's geography is the name of a gulf in the northeast of Australia between the Northern Territory and the state of Queensland).
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:43 am Reply with quote
In the magical girl series Marvellous Melmo Australia is used as an example of how gunpowder threatens species with extinction. Captain Cook, you cad!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:12 am Reply with quote
From one of the cleverest and funniest anime I've ever seen, Goshogun:

At the crack of dawn:

Clearly they've never been to Uluru.

Bill Bryson wrote:
...I'm suggesting nothing here, but I will say that if you were an intergalactic traveler who had broken down in our solar system, the obvious directions to rescuers would be: "Go to the third planet and fly around till you see the big red rock. You can't miss it." If ever on earth they dig up a 150,000-year-old rocket ship from the galaxy Zog, this is where it will be. I'm not saying I expect it to happen; not saying that at all. I'm just observing that if I were looking for an ancient starship this is where I would start digging.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Fremantle, Australia, is a stop-over on the way to Antarctica in episode seven of Sora yori mo Tooi Basho ("A Place Further than the Universe"). We don't see much of anything of Australia itself, unlike the Singapore episode which has more of a travelogue feel. The girls spend most of their time on the ship as it prepares for the last leg of their journey.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:52 pm Reply with quote
One of my favorite, or at least most surprising and obscure, spoof/parody moments in anime is in the Australian episode of Sabagebu!, most of the episode (maybe just a half or one-third episode) they spend battling senior citizens in the Outback in a big Mad Max spoof, but the part I really love is the bit about the old senile lady in fancy old clothes that they find out wasn't part of the senior citizens' group. The end of the episodes shows her being discovered at Hanging Rock unable to explain how she got there or where she came from. ...Picnic at Hanging Rock is definitely not usual viewing for anime kids.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:29 am Reply with quote
^
I'll have to check the episode out. Picnic at Hanging Rock is my favourite Australian film.

I hope to see all of A Place Further than the Universe one day. Probably when my Beautiful Fighting Girl project reaches it.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:26 pm Reply with quote
It's not a nuanced parody, just referential "do you know what this is?" humor (which goes for the Mad Max parody too).
But it certainly surprised me.

And if you Google Sabagebu! Picnic at Hanging Rock you find almost no references to it, so not many people did catch the reference.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:27 am Reply with quote
In Aura Battler Dunbine the other-dimensional world of Byston Well is afflicted by a widespread mecha war. About half way through the series magical creatures teleport every last mecha and warship to earth where the belligerents continue their fighting with absolutiely no regard for its human inhabitants. Each of the armies, whether allies or enemies, wind up on different continents. Their first reaction is to locate each other - friend or foe.

I like to think the following scene is the remote Sealers Cove in Wilsons Promontory National Park, but it could be anywhere.

At one point the image cuts to the Australian desert, complete with cacti. Err... cacti are endemic to the Americas. Perhaps in the future they've become feral.

Oh.. and koalas don't have tails.

Spastic Minnow wrote:
One of my favorite, or at least most surprising and obscure, spoof/parody moments in anime is in the Australian episode of Sabagebu!, most of the episode (maybe just a half or one-third episode) they spend battling senior citizens in the Outback in a big Mad Max spoof, but the part I really love is the bit about the old senile lady in fancy old clothes that they find out wasn't part of the senior citizens' group. The end of the episodes shows her being discovered at Hanging Rock unable to explain how she got there or where she came from. ...Picnic at Hanging Rock is definitely not usual viewing for anime kids.

Here's a photo of one part of Hanging Rock I took about 4½ years ago. It's not far north of Melbourne.

Next day edit. I encountered this epic quote a few episodes further along from a character called Shot Weapon.

I hated that parched earth of Australia where I met you. Taken by my parents who fled from America and forced to go to such a place we weren’t able to go to school much and were forced into anachronistic hard labour. If we hadn’t met such a fate as this** both you and I wouldn’t have ever returned to America again. I am completely enraged at the America that forced me into such a miserable existence.

** Magically transported to Byston Well, then back to America.

Here's one of the accompanying images.

Convict transportation to Australia ended in 1868.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 36 of the 1983 production of Alice in Wonderland has an Australia theme.

Not only does Alice discover where Australia is located on the globe, the next time she visits Wonderland she also discovers there's a trap door in the dungeon of the Queen of Hearts' castle that's a short cut down under. Stray sheep from Australia (along with a giant red kangaroo and its joey) have found there way into the castle. Not one to miss an opportunity, the Queen has them working sweatshop hours knitting jumpers for the coming winter. Overworked and homesick the sheep make shoddy jumpers that fall apart to the touch.

Alice uses the short cut to visit Australia where she meets a larrikin parakeet, Karl the koala patriarch and a gruff platypus.

She convinces the giant kangaroo to return to Wonderland to negotiate with the Queen of Hearts better working conditions for the sheep. This is successful - the sheep get shorter working days and the weekends off to spend at home. The kangaroo also proves herself useful, for a fair wage, at transporting the Queen through her realm.

The citizens of Wonderland finally prove their mettle when a bushfire threatens the koalas, forming a bucket brigade from Wonderland to the parched Australian bush.

What I liked about the episode is that, while it indulged in the expected cliches, it was also quite topical. 1983 saw Bob Hawke - a former union leader - elected as prime minister. That year also had what was, up to then, Australia's deadliest bushfires. (The death toll from the 1983 Ash Wednesday fires was exceeded by the 2009 Black Saturday fires.) The conjunction of Wonderland, the Queen of Hearts, the Australian bush and union negotiations works surprisingly well in a series that revels in the absurdity it inherits from Lewis Carroll's original stories.

I've also suspected often while watching the series that the character designer used Anne Lambert (Miranda from the 1975 film version of Picnic at Hanging Rock) as the model for Alice (without the blatant sexuality of course). Coincidence? Wishful thinking, perhaps.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:10 am Reply with quote
This is a very brief reference, but in the original Bubblegum Crisis there was mention of the various Genom corporate buildings around the world, including one in Sydney. During one of the episodes there was a brief scene showing that building (among others)spoiler[ being destroyed by a satellite weapon.] That scene stood out to me because it showed a Koala hanging on to some random pedestrianspoiler[ while the building blew up].

That's the only one I can think of that hasn't already been mentioned.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure how this was missed. The 2015 anime Heavy Object has a whole story arc (episodes 5,6, & 7) set in Australia. The main action sequence takes place in a jungle set in the Tanami Desert. Cool
moff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:35 pm Reply with quote
In the first episode of the 1976 series Machine Hayabusa, the MC takes part in a 2000km race in the Australian desert.

A few scenes from the episode were also included in the OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4WJS5bj8Nw
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:56 am Reply with quote
Fushigi na Koala Blinky - or better known in English speaking countries as Noozles - is about an American girl called Sandy who befriends two magical koalas, Blinky and Pinky, who hail from a sort of extra-dimensional world called Koalawallaland. The connections with Australia are obvious: the koalas, the importance of eucalyptus trees, the disappearance of Sandy's grandfather while exploring the Australian outback, and a comical, recurring frilled neck lizard.

In one episode the koalas take Sandy and her grandmother to Uluru where they witness Australian animals dancing under the moon atop the rock.

Planning the trip - Sandy, her grandmother, and the koalas.

In the 70s/80s anime just couldn't get Uluru right.

Dancing kangaroos.

Frilled neck lizard and cassowary. The American dub calls it an ostrich. Idiots.

I'm 14 episodes into the 26 episode series. There may be more visits. And, by the way, this series shouldn't be confused with another anime, Adventures of a Little Koala, which began a few months a later and is supposedly set in Australia. I'll be checking that out if I can.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:22 am Reply with quote
I have no idea if anyone knows about this,but I've recently heard about an anime set in Australia. It was done by the same person who did "Candy Candy." It's called "Georgie." It's set in 19th Century Australia. It's about a girl named Georgie who tries to unravel her past. From what I've read on Wikipedia,the show goes back and forth between Australia and Britain. I don't know a lot about it or if there's an English version of it. I just wanted to let you guys know about it and I thought that here would be a good place for it. Do you guys know anything more about it?
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:44 am Reply with quote
^ It's listed in the ANN encyclopedia as Lady Georgie. That entry says it starts in Australia and then switches to Britain at least once. 1983, 45 or 46 episodes. A romance, I think. The synopses is a bit spoiler-ish, but not for the outcome.

My memory swears to me that I have seen this show mentioned, like as an aside, in a column here on ANN, but I can't be sure. I think the most likely candidate is one of Errinundra's columns, but a simple search of titles of his reviews doesn't show it. It might have been Mike Toole's or somebody else's.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4