• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Domestic Girlfriend

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I liked episode 10 as I feel I got my money's worth when Rui gave Natsuo a "head on arms puppy dog" stare and the episode, NO, the entire series was made just so Rui would be in the position that she could stare "accusingly"/"adoringly" at Natsuo.

As for the quality of the episode, I think either parts of it were edited out or it just wasn't finished... on my first viewing, I noticed the bra was "painted on" as her clavicle was showing through the strap and when I paused it when she rolled over, she's suddenly braless for a few frames before it comes back.

Sometimes it's just better to go with the beams of light censors? I don't know, depends on the viewer.
Kistune_bride

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Rui accidentally breaking Natsuo's arm was the most presence she's ever had in the show's plot

Wasn't it Miu who accidentally elbowed Natsuo downstairs and he broke his leg??

And...yeah I don't care about Hina x Natsuo at all; heck, I kinda don't want Rui to end up with Natsuo and fall for literally anyone more interesting. Alex doesn't seems to have a purpose here and I thought the Lit club would be more important since Natsuo wants to be a writer.

If the purpose of cutting out material was to force me to read the manga, then it's almost working but also making me want to read the Wikipedia page for spoilers. Razz
Sekaro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:13 pm Reply with quote
I don't quite understand why the director or anyone involved in the making of this show thought its a good idea to put an insert song during a rather dull scene that can't even pull its own weight. Did they thought that inserting a sad song will instantly elevate the scene to greatness? An insert song can only support an already strong scene. It doesn't make a scene strong. Re: Zero has pulled this off several times in its run and has executed it perfectly with flying colors so why can't this show do the same? Rolling Eyes
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:18 am Reply with quote
I decided to give this a go after reading the general disdain for it, and I have to say I disagree with ANN's reviews as usual.

This is like this seasons guilty pleasure.. The plot is pretty weak I will admit, but watching things blow up in the main characters face is hilarious.

I do agree that the toying between Natsu and Hina is getting pretty stale, but the train wreck in progress is too much fun to not see to the end..
Dosmundos

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:36 am Reply with quote
The biggest problem of this show is that at this point I can't even see a single reason any more why Natsuo would be wanting to be with Hina.

Is it the sex? He could get it from that equally experienced and much more age appropriate classmate of his who made that great entry in one episode only to be forgotten afterwards. Well, he could even get it from his more age appropriate other sister, if you wish so.

Is it the pride of having conquered the seemingly unattainable sensei, maybe mixed with the thrill of a secret relationship? The show doesn't paint it that way.

So I'm lacking a sense of what exactly it is the show wants to tell us. Not being able to summarize the important points of the original story, compared with subpar animation quality might be the explanation. Yep, this show has gone downhill a lot, unfortunately...
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Dosmundos wrote:
The biggest problem of this show is that at this point I can't even see a single reason any more why Natsuo would be wanting to be with Hina.

what about the plain fact that he legitimately have been in love with her for over a year and still is. sometimes liking some one isn't about a reason, one just really feel infatuated with them. I am curious, what made you think he thought of this as some sort of trophy or just a convenient source of sex ?

but I do agree that the low quality of the direction in this show has made a great disservice to the source material. this is a story in which people make dumb decision over their complex web of mixed feelings, the lack of animation and poor framing really fails at conveying their inner emotional turmoil. I am a little heart broken myself over how bad this adaptation turned out after the actually adequate first couple episodes
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I didn't see the show telling me to be invested in Natsuo and Hina's relationship. It is supposed to be a hot mess.

And is real life any better. Sure the show is an exaggeration, but all you have to do is look outside or on the TV and this world is full of romantic hot messes, some of which even end up on Forensic Files.

I think Betrayal is such a strong word, to be using it in this case. Rui knows Natsuo has not gotten over Hina. Nor was Rui and Natsuo in a committed relationship. And if you go by our world's rules, if you don't say the words you haven't caught the fish yet.

Rui is chasing after someone who is obsessed (or even in love) with someone else. Until Natsuo is really over Hina, the odds are against a happy ending for Rui. That is just the price Rui must pay, with the hand she has been dealt.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I get that reviews are very subjective in nature but at this point I feel the reviewer is simply bashing the entire anime just because they dont like one character (Hina). The reviews each week are getting less and less objective and more simply bashing Hina because the character isnt what the reviewer wants them to be. Thankfully the YouTube reviews from people who are able to be far more objective like Gigguk and Akidearest balance out this poorly biased review.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Before I was writing up rather sizable comparisons between the anime and manga to show what was left out and how that affects both the pacing and the ability to get invested in the characters, but with how fast the anime is speeding along so that it can end on a suitable conclusion, that's only gonna get more difficult and time consuming, so I'll just simplify things with 3 words: Read the manga.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Ahh, the magic camera of doom.

Wait, this means they skipped the anti-alcohol PSA, doesn't it?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Can't help but wonder it this is going to end up with a boat ride. Very Happy
Imperiled

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:43 pm Reply with quote
#893792 wrote:
I get that reviews are very subjective in nature but at this point I feel the reviewer is simply bashing the entire anime just because they dont like one character (Hina). The reviews each week are getting less and less objective and more simply bashing Hina because the character isnt what the reviewer wants them to be. Thankfully the YouTube reviews from people who are able to be far more objective like Gigguk and Akidearest balance out this poorly biased review.

I don't think the negative review is purely out of dislike for Hina. The show did really well at the beginning at bringing up tension, and introducing different interesting characters, while keeping us questioning who Natsuo would choose. I feel like I agree with the review; all of the romance scenes in the past few episodes are very lack luster and awkward, and Rui's reaction to everything is so downplayed. She was supposed to be in love with Natsuo, yet every reaction she's had towards him and Hina were so mild, and from a viewing perspective it was just weird, and not interesting. All the supporting characters are pretty much useless to the plot, just as a previous review has said. I think this show has been going downhill too, and I pretty much agree with the entire review, and all the past reviews for this show.
Dosmundos

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:19 am Reply with quote
#878599 wrote:
Can't help but wonder it this is going to end up with a boat ride. Very Happy

Sorry, but Natsuo is determined to make his one and only lady happy. You gotta give him that much credit! Also, if mopey Rui had any tendency to slashing, she would already have shown it...

Also, the episode showed that Hina already had some feelings for him when she still was with her affair. Which might explain why she went from a much older boyfriend to a much younger one - maybe she wants to relive the youth / first love / high school crush thing she never had. Makes the whole story more believeable. Contrary to the reviewer, I think the episode actually helped in getting the story back on track. At least a little bit.

I coincide that the masturbation talk was very weird. Natsuo went from getting broken up with to getting broken in by his beloved Sensei in a short time, there is no way he would already have the confidence for such a talk right afterwards. No way!!
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:30 pm Reply with quote
In the end I like Domestic Girlfriend with all its trashiness, step-incest and weak writing. Rui is a big reason of why I was engaged with this show from start to finish. DG is not the best anime of the season, but it is my favorite. I know that it will probably not happen, but I would welcome a second season.
ditto526

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:21 pm Reply with quote
While i might be the only person here that did not like the ending, i cannot say i was surprised by it, we all knew how this was going to end at the very beginning,
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6